DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 8:17 am

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Yes the USA still exploits slavery, we just do it away from our own country so that nobody really has to think about it.

That's kinda why as a southerner I always feel like the rest of the country who look down on us for having had slaves during the American Civil War are hypocrites, given the fact that they like all Americans benefit from modern day slave labor.

Not excusing what the south has done, I'm just saying it's extremely hypocritical...

The south is hardly a slave economy anymore but the legacy is more raw in the memories of black southerners.

I don't think it's just black southerners, black people all across the US are not exactly trusting of white people and for good reason. Many of them don't live under the delusion that the northern states were non-racist compared to the deep south.

And like I said, the legacy of slavery is still alive and well with the US when it comes to the way we exploit people in other countries.

The legacy is that segregation is still alive and well in both the north and south. I was shocked to find the most segregated city in the US is Chicago. I used to think it was a progressive and dynamic place.

I too have been shocked to learn the truth about a lot of things involving the racism that goes on here in the US. :P

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 12:56 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Yes the USA still exploits slavery, we just do it away from our own country so that nobody really has to think about it.

That's kinda why as a southerner I always feel like the rest of the country who look down on us for having had slaves during the American Civil War are hypocrites, given the fact that they like all Americans benefit from modern day slave labor.

Not excusing what the south has done, I'm just saying it's extremely hypocritical...

The south is hardly a slave economy anymore but the legacy is more raw in the memories of black southerners.

I don't think it's just black southerners, black people all across the US are not exactly trusting of white people and for good reason. Many of them don't live under the delusion that the northern states were non-racist compared to the deep south.

And like I said, the legacy of slavery is still alive and well with the US when it comes to the way we exploit people in other countries.

The legacy is that segregation is still alive and well in both the north and south. I was shocked to find the most segregated city in the US is Chicago. I used to think it was a progressive and dynamic place.

I too have been shocked to learn the truth about a lot of things involving the racism that goes on here in the US. :P

Most to Least Segregated Cities

How New York’s Suburbs Got So Segregated
Quote:
Why is the population of Massapequa in New York’s Nassau County 98% percent white? Why do almost no Black families live in suburban Levittown, New York? Are we looking at free choices by families or underlying housing patterns that reflect the impact of past and current racist practices?

Newsday exposed racial channeling by Long Island realtors in an investigation that showed how they steered potential home buyers to particular towns based on their race and ethnicity.

NYTSuburban growth on Long Island and other major metropolitan areas exploded after the Second World War as returning veterans pushed to start families and purchase homes. Farmland was converted into housing developments. Federal infrastructure investment like highway construction made commutes to work possible.

Between 1960 and 1964, about half a million white people left New York City for white suburban enclaves. The redlining of areas by banks and real estate agencies designating them for specific racial groups produced community and school segregation patterns in suburbs across the country that continue to exist today.

Between 1946 and 1951, Levitt and Sons constructed 17,447 low-cost two and three bedroom homes on Long Island. Ninety percent of the units were purchased by the families of World War II veterans. Initially, Levitt and Sons included a clause in mortgage and rental agreements that restricted occupancy to “Caucasians,” except for “domestic servants.” Even after the clause was removed, the company still refused to sell or rent to African Americans.

According to the 1960 census, of the 65,276 residents of Levittown, only 57 were Black, less than .1% of the population. In a 1954 interview, William Levitt argued “The plain fact is that most whites prefer not to live in mixed communities. This attitude may be wrong morally, and some day it may change. I hope it will. But as matters now stand, it is unfair to charge an individual with the blame for creating this attitude or saddle him with the sole responsibility for correcting it. The responsibility is society’s. So far society has not been willing to cope with it. Until it does, it is not reasonable to expect that any builder should or could undertake to absorb the entire risk and burden of conducting such a vast experiment.”

An interactive map on the website Mapping Inequality reproduces the redlining maps for American cities created by the FHA Home Owners’ Loan Corporation in the 1930s. Three neighborhoods in southeastern Queens, New York were rated undesirable for issuing federally insured mortgages, two because their population was over thirty percent Black and one because it abutted those communities.

Segregated housing means segregated schools. Long Island, New York’s two counties have 124 mini-school districts that are largely racially, ethnically and economically segregated. The student population in the Garden City school district, which abuts Hempstead, is 92% white and Asian, while the student population of the Hempstead school district is 96% African American and Latino. The student population in the Bellmore-Merrick consolidated high school district is 85% white and Asian while the student population of the neighboring Roosevelt school district is 100% Black and Latino.

The roots of racial segregation in metropolitan area suburbs actually predate the post-War suburban expansion. Federal housing policy dating from the 1930s was overtly racist and contributed to white flight from cities and largely white suburbs and school districts surrounding the nation’s metropolitan areas.

I do not live in one of the uber segregated neighborhoods on Long Island mentioned in the article. It was that way in the 60s and 70s when I grew up in this neighborhood. One day my dad brought brought home a black colleague from work. I was scared as hell that my house was going to be firebombed because that is what happened to people who sold their homes to blacks. Archie Bunker was an exaggeration but not by much. In my high school there was racial tension. If a white guy and a black guy accidentally bumped into each other and maybe some words were exchanged the whole school would be on edge. A few times crowds gathered in front of the school and things got tense enough cops got called. Fortunately it never devolved into full scale brawls as was not uncommon in other Long Island and New York City schools. Economics was not the issue nor changing demographics. The black neighborhood was just a few block area and was professional class compared the majority working class white areas and the housing stock reflected that.

That was then, this is now. My area much more “diverse”. We have Sikhs, Asian American, hispanic etc. What we don’t have is blacks.

The south became less segregated due to court orders, much less so in the north(when it was tried in the north it did not go well see Boston, Canarsie, Brooklyn). Yet in the north we have always looked down on those “rednecks” down south and in recent years flyover country, tsk, tsk.

Racist code terms Long Island 2022 style “suburban character”, “the neighborhood is becoming like Queens”. In fairness these can mean a literal desire not to live in a population dense neighborhood, but there should be no denying the more nefarious meanings.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 3:44 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Racist code terms Long Island 2022 style “suburban character”, “the neighborhood is becoming like Queens”. In fairness these can mean a literal desire not to live in a population dense neighborhood, but there should be no denying the more nefarious meanings.

Yes we have similar coded real estate terms in Australia. A leafy suburb or gated community in particular postcodes means predominantly white prior to the 1990s. Over time the east Asian community (the biggest PoC minority) have become more affluent and now they are over represented in the most expensive real estate.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 12:49 pm

cyberdad wrote:
You do realise that large scale extraction equipment can't be deployed in every developing country right? Who pays for it?

I spent a decade working in R&D and have lived in the Andes, so I'm decently familiar with what goes into building machinery and deploying it in remote places. Usually big structures like that assembled on-site, often with large subassemblies brought in on trains/barges. Mountains of mud do get in the way, but they also get in the way of more basic things like getting the mined minerals out.

Quote:
The cost of purchasing extracted minerals from child miners like Cobalt is way cheaper than investing in shipping transporting and maintaining hugely expensive large scale equipment. If it wasn't they would already be doing it.

...assuming that they had enough cash on hand, or that their borrowing costs wouldn't change the calculus.

I don't think we really disagree that much. But it's been my impression (from working with related inductries) that most of those decisions are made on smaller margins. It's not that they can't do it, or that it would raise the cost to consumers by a noticeable amount; it's that it would displace more profitable capital investments, or eat into the margins that pay creditors.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 2:36 am

NobodyKnows wrote:
I don't know many geeks who flaunt their iPhones. HTCs with mechanical keyboards were popular in the Bay Area until they stopped making them. I used my Palm Pilot until the screen died, and a flip phone until last year.

[OT] Dude! I miss phones with mechanical keyboards so much!

Did they stop making them because they were unpopular or did people stop buying them because they just weren't being made?

I often think that what gets made isn't driven purely by popularity and consumer demand.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2022, 1:43 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Did they stop making them because they were unpopular or did people stop buying them because they just weren't being made?

I gathered that they didn't sell well.

Quote:
I often think that what gets made isn't driven purely by popularity and consumer demand.

A lot of people don't care about the keybaord, and do care about having a big screen and not having a cell phone bulge showing through their expensive clothes. And they probably buy more phones per-capita than people who care about the keyboard. But you could be right about it being due to a business consideration.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2022, 3:48 pm

I don't like separate keyboards on my phone or tablet. I've gotten used to typing on the "keyboard" provided by the phone/tablet.

Jefferson abhorred slavery in theory----but relied upon it economically. There are historians who call him a "sphinx" because of his contradictory views.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2022, 6:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Jefferson abhorred slavery in theory----but relied upon it economically. There are historians who call him a "sphinx" because of his contradictory views.

Jefferson started raping his 15 year old slave Sally Hemmings when he was in his 40s. It continued for several decades. Hemmings bore his several children of whom her descendants carry Jefferson's DNA.

She was a captive in his house and slept within access of his bedroom. I don't think it matters what he (claimed) to think of slavery, he was a cruel evil man who benefitted from the exploitation of his own slaves.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 12:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Jefferson started raping his 15 year old slave Sally Hemmings when he was in his 40s. It continued for several decades. Hemmings bore his several children of whom her descendants carry Jefferson's DNA.

She was a captive in his house and slept within access of his bedroom. I don't think it matters what he (claimed) to think of slavery, he was a cruel evil man who benefitted from the exploitation of his own slaves.

Yes. That always diagusted me about him too. Not only was he an old pedophile taking advantage of a young girl, but this was a white slave master taking advantage of a young black girl in a world where she would have had zero rights and was in no position to reject his sexual advances for basically her own survival. There were other slaves serving other masters like deranged psychopath Delphine LaLaurie who were tortured and killed for less.

It gives you an idea into just how screwed up society was in those days.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 6:25 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes. That always diagusted me about him too. Not only was he an old pedophile taking advantage of a young girl, but this was a white slave master taking advantage of a young black girl in a world where she would have had zero rights and was in no position to reject his sexual advances for basically her own survival. There were other slaves serving other masters like deranged psychopath Delphine LaLaurie who were tortured and killed for less.

It gives you an idea into just how screwed up society was in those days.

There is a myth that only slave masters were cruel to slaves/black people. That everyone else was innocent. With the sole exception of the Quakers (who were the only true christians in the US who actually believed you had to do good acts for your fellow man to be called a christian) every other person was a willing participant to 400 years of subjecting black people to a life of torture. This is something that Americans have yet to come to terms with.

Jefferson is still put on a pedestal. His face is still on Mount Rushmore and his plantation/mansion is a site of national heritage.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 8:09 am

Well on one hand he is a part of our history, but on the other hand if they're going to teach that history they need to be completely honest about him.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 10:29 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Well on one hand he is a part of our history, but on the other hand if they're going to teach that history they need to be completely honest about him.

Not only Jefferson, but the Founding Fathers in general were slave owners and hypocrites. For most of our history the bad stuff was whitewashed. With the popularity of presentism in many circles this is being corrected. Some people are canceling the founding fathers by tearing down statues, renaming schools and so on. Others look at their racism and hypocrisy and draw a straight line today to define us as a racist to the core country, and any “progress” is just a deflection from this “fact”. In other words replacing seeing only the good with seeing only the bad.

I ask those seeing only the bad to consider that Trump would probably be dictator without the checks and balances the founding fathers help set up. The executive branch went rogue, the legislative branch failed, it has been the courts that blocked Trump at many steps along the way.

Among the members of the courts that have blocked Trump have been Trump appointees. Why, because of loyalty to the constitution. Not only judiciary but many election workers, regular people who stood up to threats and actual violence out of loyalty to the principles in the constitution the founding fathers helped set up.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 10:32 am

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 10:42 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Not only Jefferson, but the Founding Fathers in general were slave owners and hypocrites. For most of our history the bad stuff was whitewashed. With the popularity of presentism in many circles this is being corrected. Some people are canceling the founding fathers by tearing down statues, renaming schools and so on. Others look at their racism and hypocrisy and draw a straight line today to define us as a racist to the core country, and any “progress” is just a deflection from this “fact”. In other words replacing seeing only the good with seeing only the bad.

I ask those seeing only the bad to consider that Trump would probably be dictator without the checks and balances the founding fathers help set up. The executive branch went rogue, the legislative branch failed, it has been the courts that blocked Trump at many steps along the way.

Among the members of the courts that have blocked Trump have been Trump appointees. Why, because of loyalty to the constitution. Not only judiciary but many election workers, regular people who stood up to threats and actual violence out of loyalty to the principles in the constitution the founding fathers helped set up.

I think perhaps that shows that we need to stop seeing this country in terms of absolutes. Americans have such a black and white way of thinking (pun not intended) and I think that's part of the problem.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 11:23 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

I think perhaps that shows that we need to stop seeing this country in terms of absolutes. Americans have such a black and white way of thinking (pun not intended) and I think that's part of the problem.

I totally agree. That was the whole point of the post. Not only the country but people in general, we are human, we are flawed. I do think we have take into consideration the times and circumstances these historical figures lived in.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 7:20 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

I agree with AS. I am all for kids learning about the founding fathers and their role in building the country they live in. I 100% support education.

But you can't give a one-sided viewpoint. Children need to come to terms with both the legacy but also the truth/reality of what the founding fathers actually did.

For example, hiding the legacy of slavery and the genocide of native Americans means when a child is taught history and told that the land their school is on was once occupied by native tribes and subsequently a thriving black community during Jim Crow then they might be confused when looking at their classmates and the town they live why there is nobody black or native present in their community?

It's not my idea though. Jane Elliot the now famous school teacher started this in the 1960s in the all white classrooms she taught in. One of the first myth she wanted to dispel to her classrooms is why there is no black kids in their class was not because blacks were lazy, or didn't want to settle in white areas (parents never taught their kids why segregation happened). Until Americans come to terms with their past they can't grow and heal.