Hmm, to gamble on it or nah maybe not?

Page 5 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 1:48 am

siennas have very high resale value and are hard to come by affordably used and not wrung-out.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 2:07 am

auntblabby wrote:
siennas have very high resale value

I wonder why that could possibly be...

But there's actually an amusing fact, used Highlanders go for ~ RAV4 money, while being significantly nicer inside.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 2:12 am

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... Records=25

in my neck of the woods, used highlanders are pretty dear unless they have over 200k on the odo.
toyotas in general are gold-standard and priced like it with few exceptions.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 2:24 am

Sounds like my car gained $5-6k over the past 3 years. :lol:

I bought it the fall just before COVID, which caused new car shortages and crazy prices we see now.

But yeah, they were cheaper than RAV4s at that point.
By the look of it it's still true for older ones. If anyone shops for a RAV4, 2009 is prolly the best year. That 2.5L and it's tranny after refresh were retuned for a lot of grunt down low. It's quite peppy from a stop, compared to the lazy 2.4 it replaced.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 2:57 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Sounds like my car gained $5-6k over the past 3 years. :lol:

I bought it the fall just before COVID, which caused new car shortages and crazy prices we see now.

But yeah, they were cheaper than RAV4s at that point.
By the look of it it's still true for older ones. If anyone shops for a RAV4, 2009 is prolly the best year. That 2.5L and it's tranny after refresh were retuned for a lot of grunt down low. It's quite peppy from a stop, compared to the lazy 2.4 it replaced.

what is the last year of Rav4 you'd get?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 3:37 am

auntblabby wrote:

I'd even get a bicycle if it were free.

But if I'm spending my hard-earned money then it's hard to make me part with it. So the generation up through 2017 should be a safe choice, still having the reliable port injection and only incremental changes to the body. The lift hatch rear door may be preferred over the fridge door of the previous generation, but it depends on personal preference. I would say the 2012+ interior is worse for tall people who like knee room, I was kind of miserable in my cousin's (2016?). Then again, you won't convince me to pay the kind of money the 2017 car fetches on the market. I would say for me the balance of the price and value of usefulness (read: utility) are more important than the year. So I think the older years provide better value per $$$, hence why I said 2009 being the best overall.

Last edited by r00tb33r on 07 Dec 2022, 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 3:39 am

r00tb33r wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I'd even get a bicycle if it were free.

But if I'm spending my hard-earned money then it's hard to make me part with it. So the generation up through 2017 should be a safe choice, still having the reliable port injection and only incremental changes to the body. The lift hatch rear door may be preferred over the fridge door of the previous generation, but it depends on personal preference. I would say the 2012+ interior is worse for tall people who like knee room, I was kind of miserable in my cousin's (2016?). Then again, you won't convince me to pay the kind of money the 2017 car fetches on the market. I would say for me the balance of the price and the condition are more important than the year. So I think the older years provide better value per $$$, hence why I said 2009 being the best overall.

i will keep 2009 in my memory banks then in case something happens to my honda.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 4:03 am

auntblabby wrote:

Didn't you say before you like comfortable cars? Get a Highlander instead, it's similar money. If you want something more compact then 2006-2007 Highlander, it's about the same size as the same year RAV4, but quieter and more comfortable. Those are the longest-kept passenger vehicle, for a good reason, offering a great balance of reliability, utility and comfort. 2008+ if you want bigger.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 5:08 am

r00tb33r wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Didn't you say before you like comfortable cars? Get a Highlander instead, it's similar money. If you want something more compact then 2006-2007 Highlander, it's about the same size as the same year RAV4, but quieter and more comfortable. Those are the longest-kept passenger vehicle, for a good reason, offering a great balance of reliability, utility and comfort. 2008+ if you want bigger.

western washington is the single most expensive market for used cars, so if necessary i'll have to take a train out of state to shop for something like that.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 9:26 am

auntblabby wrote:
siennas have very high resale value and are hard to come by affordably used and not wrung-out.

And consume approximately twice the fuel. And are people movers, not cargo vans. I don’t need to haul around several extra seats and all that come with them, and it’d be a waste of money to buy a sienna and gut it. Especially when this turbodiesel was available instead.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 9:27 am

auntblabby wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

western washington is the single most expensive market for used cars, so if necessary i'll have to take a train out of state to shop for something like that.

Look North, everything is more expensive here. Cars, gas, housing, food, clothing etc.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 10:39 am

goldfish21 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Look North, everything is more expensive here. Cars, gas, housing, food, clothing etc.

but in the states western washington is as expensive as it gets in terms of used cars at least. i could go just to eastern washington and save thousands on average. but that is a looooonnnnnggg trip, washington is big and it'd take a day.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 10:44 am

auntblabby wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

but in the states western washington is as expensive as it gets in terms of used cars at least. i could go just to eastern washington and save thousands on average. but that is a looooonnnnnggg trip, washington is big and it'd take a day.

I dunno about you, but I don't earn thousands of dollars/day... so a quick pop over to the Least side from the Best to saving Thousands on a car would be very well worth the trek, IMO.

Used cars are probably about The Most Expensive in the Vancouver area of BC vs. the entire rest of the country I Think. Supply, demand, and the fact that cars last for 30+ years here instead of like 7 because we get the least amount of Winter weather and thus the least amount of salt on the roads.

A guy I knew from a large vw car forum came out here from Toronto for a visit and I remember him looking out over the road saying "Look at all the old cars!!" and I'm thinking "Where? ?" as Old Cars to me means Much Older, like vintage classics that are only brought out in the Summertime kind of thing.. and he meant 80's and 90's cars and I was like where else would they be except driving everywhere?? and he explained that cars don't even make it to a decade old in Onterrible because they rust away and get scrapped. Wow - what a waste of money.. new car every time you just pay one off!! ???! That's nutty.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 10:49 am

Just be careful about working with gas----Jay Leno certainly learned his lesson....

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 11:07 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Just be careful about working with gas----Jay Leno certainly learned his lesson....

This denty breadbox is a turbo diesel.. diesel isn't as explosive as gasoline - very difficult to light if I wanted to even try it.

If I lived in the woods where auntblabby is I'd consider making greasel biofuel from used cooking oil or something.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 11:58 am

Loafer.lol