Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter and right-wingers.

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 7:42 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Never tweeted a day of my life, and I'm not about to start now.

Good to hear.
Twitter has enough progressives already. :P

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 7:45 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

cyberdad wrote:
I don't use twitter at all. It doesn't bother me.

Twitter is actually an excellent tool for keeping abreast of the news so long as you use it correctly, which means mostly passively and by doing enough research to determine which journalists are trustworthy on what subjects and following them, it's like having an over the horizon radar for what's going to be the big news for the next several days.

It's also great for memes if those are your thing, as well as terminating hero worship of celebrities, as Twitter is one of the few places you might see them unfiltered through layers of PR flacks and realize that they're mostly pretty dumb outside of their particular area of talent; writers have been a particular disappointment to me, as I'd long sort of assumed that it took a minimum amount of brainpower to write well, and that was clearly a misguided assumption on my part.

Twitter also has one other amazing function in that you can use it to see what your ideological foes are saying in their own words without media "interpretation", which is invaluable these days when we're all so reliant on others to tell us what's happening in the world. Want to know what Trump people actually care about instead of what liberals think they care about? Just follow some of them and see it straight from the horse's mouth. I'd particularly suggest @realchrisrufo if you want a peak behind the curtain of conservative activism in the US, he's not only behind a number of high profile campaigns, but is scrupulously transparent about what he's doing, how and why, as he comes from a classical Marxist background and delights in explaining how he's using those tactics in his activism against the people who created them.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 8:12 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

cyberdad wrote:

Twitter is actually an excellent tool for keeping abreast of the news so long as you use it correctly, which means mostly passively and by doing enough research to determine which journalists are trustworthy on what subjects and following them, it's like having an over the horizon radar for what's going to be the big news for the next several days.

It's also great for memes if those are your thing, as well as terminating hero worship of celebrities, as Twitter is one of the few places you might see them unfiltered through layers of PR flacks and realize that they're mostly pretty dumb outside of their particular area of talent; writers have been a particular disappointment to me, as I'd long sort of assumed that it took a minimum amount of brainpower to write well, and that was clearly a misguided assumption on my part.

Twitter also has one other amazing function in that you can use it to see what your ideological foes are saying in their own words without media "interpretation", which is invaluable these days when we're all so reliant on others to tell us what's happening in the world. Want to know what Trump people actually care about instead of what liberals think they care about? Just follow some of them and see it straight from the horse's mouth. I'd particularly suggest @realchrisrufo if you want a peak behind the curtain of conservative activism in the US, he's not only behind a number of high profile campaigns, but is scrupulously transparent about what he's doing, how and why, as he comes from a classical Marxist background and delights in explaining how he's using those tactics in his activism against the people who created them.

Trying to glean the truth about current affairs from Twitter is like trying to do the same with Facebook.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 9:02 pm

Dox47 wrote:

Twitter also has one other amazing function in that you can use it to see what your ideological foes are saying in their own words without media "interpretation", which is invaluable these days when we're all so reliant on others to tell us what's happening in the world.

Good point.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 10:14 pm

Elon Musk:

Quote:
With rare exception, the FBI seems to want to do the right thing, but there is no question that Twitter operated as a Democratic Party activist machine
1:58 PM · Dec 10, 2022

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1601411051576172544

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 10:26 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

cyberdad wrote:

Trying to glean the truth about current affairs from Twitter is like trying to do the same with Facebook.

Tip:
Use your personal experience/wisdom and information data bank.
You can also look at other reliable sources. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 12:00 am

Actually Twitter is hilarious and good for a laugh.
Texas Paul Schroder
@Paultx890
Now that you #MAGA right wingers are kissing Elon’s ass does that mean you are buying Teslas now?

Go Paul!! ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 8:20 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

How would you know, seeing as how you just said you don't use it? Because the people on TV told you it was the bad place, especially now that the bad space man own it? Or perhaps you read it on yahoo news, a paragon of journalistic value that I've noticed you frequently link to?

Minder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2022, 10:41 am

I've despised Twitter since its inception. The character limit means that all it can ever be used for is shouting and sloganeering. It's not possible to give a nuanced argument or explanation in that format. The lack of nuance is part of why we're in this situation; no one can actually explain what they mean, and no one's inclined to listen because a good explanation usually can't be limited to 140 characters.

That we collectively decided Twitter was a good platform for discourse is a strike against us.

For what it's worth, I hate pretty much all of the modern social media platforms (Facebook, Reddit, TikTok). YouTube and Discord have their uses.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 12:45 pm

Minder wrote:
I've despised Twitter since its inception. The character limit means that all it can ever be used for is shouting and sloganeering. It's not possible to give a nuanced argument or explanation in that format. The lack of nuance is part of why we're in this situation; no one can actually explain what they mean, and no one's inclined to listen because a good explanation usually can't be limited to 140 characters.

That we collectively decided Twitter was a good platform for discourse is a strike against us.

For what it's worth, I hate pretty much all of the modern social media platforms (Facebook, Reddit, TikTok). YouTube and Discord have their uses.

Elon Musk said that he wants to increase the character limit to up to 1000 characters. Previously when people wanted to make nuanced arguments, they had to put it into a Twitter thread.

Minder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2022, 4:02 pm

Jono wrote:
Minder wrote:

Elon Musk said that he wants to increase the character limit to up to 1000 characters. Previously when people wanted to make nuanced arguments, they had to put it into a Twitter thread.

That's an improvement, but I still won't use Twitter.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 4:14 pm

a good number of public agencies have lost trust in it and are finding alternatives.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 9:04 pm

Minder wrote:

Some ppl compensate for this by posting a series of posts one after another.

Minder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2022, 10:08 pm

Pepe wrote:
Minder wrote:

Some ppl compensate for this by posting a series of posts one after another.

The breaks make those very awkward to read, and those aren't the norm anyway.