what did you do on new year eve 1999

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 11:34 am

just interested if you were alive in 1999 what you did that night

if it were 1999 now i definitely wouldnt be going out partying but i was 28 then and was on tour with all my boy friends who some played in a band,in greece
it was still during my alcoholic days so i was totally into the party stuff and was the centre of attention because being the tartiest woman there

but i dont remember new year eve 1999 because i got high and was really drunk before we started celebrating and i was knocked out for 4 days and woke up laying across some greek guys bed with only my boots on

shame i was so passed out from all the poison and practicaly missed out on the most memorable new years eve of your life

moral of the story dont drink or do too much drugs on night outs you want to remember because its best to be conscious enough to be able to remember the fun times

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Nov 2022, 11:56 am

In 1998/1999, I was a teen. I think I spent that New Year Eve at home. I got a glass of champagne. I said it made a hot sensation in my throat and my mom got scared I would get drunk. I didn't.

In 1999/2000, I went to a church-organized party, with my first boyfriend. We had fun, playing musical instruments and singing with Croatian and Italian people from Taize movement.

I guess I was rather a boring teen.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 12:01 pm

I was in a band but, amazingly, we didn’t have a gig that night. So I was playing in a scratch band in a local hall. It was mental and great fun. I was just getting over a serious bout of flu, but I thought whatever I do tonight will set the tone for the next thousand years… so I went for it.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2022, 12:01 pm

I was 12 years old, no clue, probably in my room playing with toys or video games or something.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 12:07 pm

I was in my mid-20s and still living in a home in 1999. I was having a really bad time with insomnia, which I thought may be due to Y2K anxiety, but it continued long afterwards. Everything was Y2K this, Y2K that, and looking back at it now it was pretty stupid compared to the billion and on threats happening now. On New Year's Eve I saw a news report on TV saying that it was already 2000 in New Zealand but everything in it was still standing. The staff at the home, however, had decided not to take any chances and filled the bathtub and all the sinks with water. I decided to go out to the New Year public celebration that night but there were way too many people and I could barely move so I went back to the home. I watched a TV special that showed the celebrations happening all over the world. I was slightly annoyed when in Japan a CGI Doraemon briefly appeared on the screen and the American commentary said he must be a Y2K bug, which I knew he wasn't, he is an earless, robotic cat. :roll:

So much celebrating, and it technically wasn't even the 21st century. Of course, not long after it was, the world would start its official trip to a certain very hot place in a handbasket...

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 1:08 pm

I was probably at home, sleeping. My kids were pretty young back then so I wouldn't have stayed up with them so they could bring in the new year or anything. Historically, I shun new years eve parties. Too loud, chaotic, and crazy drunk drivers on the roads after a while. Not my scene. I know, I'm boring sometimes. Lol.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 1:27 pm

I live in the Northeastern USA. During the daytime on Dec. 31, I remember they were showing New Year's celebrations from parts of the world that were hours ahead in time. A bunch of drunken Australians were partying hard. I think CNN had a different reporter in a different time zone. The one in Moscow said something like, "Russia is no longer communist. 100 years ago, in 1900, it wasn't communist either, it was still a monarchy." IIRC, Yeltsin surprisingly resigned from presidency that day, and Putin took over. Most assumed Yeltsin would simply finish out his term due to end that coming March, but I guess he wanted to start 2000 out of power. So, PUTIN came to power that day, and is still in power nearly 23 years later...

Point is, there was no sign of electrical failure and computer crashes in other parts of the world, so I figured nothing would happen. I was at home when the clock struck midnight and nothing happened, despite several years of hype. I went into a chatroom an hour or so later. I spoke to people on the west coast and said, "Greetings from the Year 2000, how's life in 1999?" Someone in California was all paranoid. It was 1AM in New Jersey, 10 AM in California. They'd set their computer's time table back because they thought they'd lose all data when the clock struck midnight for them. I explained it was already the year 2000 for me, and NOTHING had happened, don't panic, Windows95/98 can handle the new set of numbers.

2000 always seemed like "the year of tomorrow." Now, it seems like a dated, "old" year.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 3:44 pm

Hmm don't really remember I would have been like 10 at the time, so probably stayed up till midnight at least.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 12:59 am

I went to a New Years Eve Party at parents friends house and then we all wondered if the world was going to end at midnight because of Y2K but thankfully everything was fine.I think we prolly watched the ball drop in New York City on tv.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 1:51 am

the great storm of 1999, 26 december, the forests fell down and there was 10 days of no electricity, no water etc

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Nov 2022, 3:18 am

No one here really cared for Y2K.
The only mention of it was someone shouting after midnight: "Rejoice! It's 2000 and we still have electricity!" - and everyone laughed.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 1:19 pm

Sat up late with the kids to watch the ball drop on tv.Then at midnight you shoot your guns ( outside of course).
It’s a tradition in this region.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

30 Nov 2022, 1:33 pm

I was just at home, watching various things on TV. :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 2:09 pm

equestriatola wrote:
I was just at home, watching various things on TV. :D

exactly what i would have done if i hadnt been lost in the whirlwind of drink,drugs,and music bands

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 6:16 pm

I was washing my clothes in a laundromat when some parts of the world went to 2000. My wife and I watched "New Years Rockin' Eve," then we "broke bread," and had a sip of champagne. I was two days from turning 39 years old.

I never thought Y2K would realize itself. All they had to do is change the year on dates to 4 digits from 2 digits, pretty much. I can't see how a computer programmer with a simple amount of knowledge could not do this.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 6:28 pm

We were celebrating at my uncle's ski resort hotel in central Europe. I was young, obviously. I remember I got me an ear from a roasted suckling pig, it was chewy and crunchy, and some champagne.