Stupid gun owner gets himself shot by his dog

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 5:34 pm

Don't leave your guns laying around with pets around. Treat it like you have children.

https://www.newsweek.com/dog-shot-man-dead-1762692

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 8:27 pm

And the Darwin award goes to...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 9:13 pm

Freak accident, they happen from time to time with dangerous technology. I'd have to know more details about the weapon to say whether the late owner was actually being careless or not, since, you know, I'm not a big fan of snap judgments.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2022, 7:14 pm

The fact is, when you buy a gun you are more likely to die from that gun you just bought than you are to use it to save your life.

Admittedly, the biggest chunk of that is suicide.

Doesn't mean I want to ban guns - my only desire is for people to be honest about what they are getting when they buy a gun. Too many people treat them as toys or accessories. I wish any evidence of people not treating them with utmost deadly respect would be enough to have your gun owning rights revoked.

If they ain't under your direct control, they need to be put away properly.

If you want home defense get a dog. I lived in a dangerous area and my defense was to have nothing worth stealing. I got broken into once and they took like ~100 worth of stuff. Had I a gun they would have taken that.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 4:35 am

stratozyck wrote:
The fact is, when you buy a gun you are more likely to die from that gun you just bought than you are to use it to save your life.

Cite? I'll even give you a hint; the study that gave us the talking point you just used was highly flawed and debunked in the 90s, yet people still mindlessly parrot the line.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2022, 9:27 pm

Dox47 wrote:
stratozyck wrote:

Cite? I'll even give you a hint; the study that gave us the talking point you just used was highly flawed and debunked in the 90s, yet people still mindlessly parrot the line.

I wont do your homework for you. I'm quoting stats here.

You go buy a gun.

Given that it kills someone, who is it most likely to be?

Answer, you.

Suicide is half of all gun deaths.

I am only counting instances when a gun is fired and it hits someone.

I read the same right wing crap you read. What they count is self reported instances when a gun is brandished and "saves their life."

That is unreliable because its self reported. Best option is always to run away from danger not play hero. Whereas my statistic is ironclad - we know who gets killed by guns. My old cranky neighbor waves his shotgun at anyone who gets on his lawn and I bet if asked he'd say it saved his life but he's nuts.

Most likely person is the gun owner.

For you to be correct you have to have ironclad proof that guns are used to save more people on net, but then you got this tricky problem where you are mostly using them to save yourself from... other people with guns.

In other words, if you snapped your finger and guns disappeared you'd end up saving lots of lives. The main argument f or buying a gun in self defense is other people with guns. That just sounds like a stronger argument for gun control to me.

Look man buy a gun if you want but the odds of you using it to actually be a hero are negligible compared to the odds it kills you. Most likely it will end up not being used but given that it is used, you or someone else in the house is the most likely target. The "robbed in the middle of the night" thing is mostly a fantasy.

The biggest risk factor for being murdered is being involved in the drug trade or prostitution. If you avoid those things, your odds of being murdered (and thus needing a gun to defend yourself) are so small its not worth the worry.

Suicide is much more likely than being murdered if you avoid those things.

If you are posting on an ASD forum - congrats you have an elevated suicide likelihood.

The biggest argument for avoiding guns is so you don't kill YOURSELF.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2022, 1:03 am

stratozyck wrote:

Admittedly, the biggest chunk of that is suicide.

Doesn't mean I want to ban guns - my only desire is for people to be honest about what they are getting when they buy a gun. Too many people treat them as toys or accessories. I wish any evidence of people not treating them with utmost deadly respect would be enough to have your gun owning rights revoked.

If they ain't under your direct control, they need to be put away properly.

If you want home defense get a dog. I lived in a dangerous area and my defense was to have nothing worth stealing. I got broken into once and they took like ~100 worth of stuff. Had I a gun they would have taken that.

lol, theft went way down on our property after we got a dog. There was even an attempted break in at our cottage but our dog chased them off. Every time she barks like a banshee, we let her out. I also turn on the outside lights too.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.