Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 7:37 pm

Anyone else like this movie or the Broadway Musical it was based on?

I never saw the play but I really love the movie directed by Tim Burton. 8)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 8:00 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

I thought that movie was great, but never saw the play either. Not that intrested in seeing plays though so idk if there wasn't a film don't know that I ever would have got to see a rendition of that story as I never seek out plays.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 8:16 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

I thought that movie was great, but never saw the play either. Not that intrested in seeing plays though so idk if there wasn't a film don't know that I ever would have got to see a rendition of that story as I never seek out plays.

Yeah I dont really seek out plays either, but this movie was so good i feel the original play must have been something too.

I loved the chemistry between Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter. Their characters Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett were such awful people and yet they really draw you in to where you want to root for them.

They kinda reminded me of Scarlett O'hara and Rhett Butler in a way. 8)

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2022, 8:31 pm

I have the original cast album with Len Cariou and Angela Lansbury. Still gives me chills whenever I play it. The Broadway revivals of this Sondheim musical never, in my opinion, never lived up to the original cast.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 8:34 pm

MuddRM wrote:
I have the original cast album with Len Cariou and Angela Lansbury. Still gives me chills whenever I play it. The Broadway revivals of this Sondheim musical never, in my opinion, never lived up to the original cast.

Maybe I should try to watch the original someday? :)

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 10:14 pm

I have seen the Tim Burton film and the 1936 The Demon Barber of Fleet Street with Tod Slaughter. I like both.
The story is essentially the same, but of course they are different. Tim Burton's film is a musical with Johnny Depp. A well acted, well directed film.
The version with Tod Slaughter is older, not a musical, and Mr. Slaughter has an acting style that is all his own. Not everyone cares for it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 11:39 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Yeah I dont really seek out plays either, but this movie was so good i feel the original play must have been something too.

I loved the chemistry between Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter. Their characters Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett were such awful people and yet they really draw you in to where you want to root for them.

Ha I was kind of rooting for them in the end but Johhny Depp's character just throws her in the furnace, I mean like she had it coming but still...that is harsh. Lol if me and my boyfriend got into the business of making meat out of people I'd certainly hope he doesn't throw me into the cooker one day. At least the people they murdered to feed other people did not get cooked to death they where killed before being cooked.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 8:25 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Ha I was kind of rooting for them in the end but Johhny Depp's character just throws her in the furnace, I mean like she had it coming but still...that is harsh. Lol if me and my boyfriend got into the business of making meat out of people I'd certainly hope he doesn't throw me into the cooker one day. At least the people they murdered to feed other people did not get cooked to death they where killed before being cooked.

Haha i agree that was the most shocking part of the movie, but at the same time I can understand why he did it. I mean she had lied to him the whole time about his wife being dead and then he mistakenly killed his own wife.

But I also felt bad for Mrs. Lovett in the end because it seemed like she really did care for Mr. Todd and didnt deserve to die such a horrific death.

It was like a Greek Tragedy. :)

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 7:30 pm

I want to see the movie - I wouldn't bother with an original play.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 8:05 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:

I think you would enjoy it :D

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 12:27 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

I think you would enjoy it :D

Heh, I keep an open mind. 8)

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 2:34 am

Knowing that Antony became Vecna later on made a rewatch necessary