Oath Keepers including founder convicted

Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 8:12 pm

Two Oath Keepers, including founder, convicted of seditious conspiracy in Jan. 6 case

Quote:
A federal jury in Washington on Tuesday found Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes and Kelly Meggs, another member of the far-right organization, guilty of seditious conspiracy in connection with the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, a victory for the government in a case that involved a rarely-used Civil War era statute.

Three other members of the group who were on trial alongside Rhodes and Meggs — Jessica Watkins, Kenneth Harrelson and Thomas Caldwell — were found not guilty on the seditious conspiracy charge. All five defendants were found guilty of obstruction of an official proceeding and aiding and abetting for their actions on Jan. 6.

The seditious conspiracy charge carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison. Rhodes' lawyer said Tuesday that he plans to appeal that conviction.

he seditious conspiracy case is the most serious to grow out of the Justice Department's sprawling investigation into the U.S. Capitol attack. The two seditious conspiracy verdicts were wins for the department, which has brought forward the relatively rare charges against a number of Oath Keepers as well as members of the far-right Proud Boys.

The not guilty verdicts for three of the defendants could be seen as a sign that jurors did not think the Justice Department proved that Harrelson, Watkins, and Caldwell had planned ahead of time to storm the Capitol. Some of the most violent rhetoric presented by the government during the nearly two-month trial came from the two defendants who were found guilty of seditious conspiracy: Rhodes and Meggs. In evidence presented by the government, both men showed particular disdain for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and talked about their desire to do her violence.

All three defendants who physically went inside the Capitol on Jan. 6 — Meggs, Harrelson, and Watkins — were found guilty of conspiracy to prevent an officer from discharging their official duties. Rhodes and Caldwell were on Capitol grounds that day but did not go inside the building.

Watkins was also found guilty on a count of civil disorder and aiding and abetting because, as she admitted on the stand, she helped push against officers inside the Capitol. Caldwell, who was also found guilty of tampering with documents or proceedings and aiding and abetting, was the only one of the five who was not detained while awaiting trial.

Federal prosecutors alleged that the five defendants conspired to oppose the peaceful transfer of power from former President Donald Trump to President Joe Biden, but did not prove that there was a pre-coordinated plot to actually storm the U.S. Capitol. Instead, federal prosecutors alleged that those who entered the building — Meggs, Watkins and Harrelson — seized the opportunity when other rioters broke into the Capitol.

Members of the Oath Keepers organized a "quick reaction force" at a hotel in Virginia, which one prosecution witness testified contained the most weapons he'd seen in one place since his military days. Caldwell stayed at the "QRF" hotel and met with Oath Keepers near Trump's speech in Washington on Jan. 6 before going to the Capitol with his wife, where they went to the top of the inauguration platform set up on the west side of the Capitol.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 8:25 pm

HUZZAHS!! ! I'll be drinking to that tonight!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 1:29 am

It would be good if they also go after communities who fund these far right groups
https://www.scmp.com/news/world/united- ... ns-chinese

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 3:39 pm

Sedition is always a bogus charge, and certainly an ironic one to see being cheered from the left, being the likely target of such charges should they lose control of the state and all. Smart leftist are horrified, but we don't have many of those around here.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 3:45 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Sedition is always a bogus charge, and certainly an ironic one to see being cheered from the left, being the likely target of such charges should they lose control of the state and all. Smart leftist are horrified, but we don't have many of those around here.

So you don't think these fanatics did anything wrong?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 7:03 pm

Ofc now the burning question is with whom they were involved in a conspiracy with.. will more trumpy heads roll for this?? Mebe. :ketchup chips: 8)

Dox47 wrote:

Wut? :?

How do you figure it’s always a bogus charge?

And, also, if a left wing voting citizen or politician is guilty of sedition, why wouldn’t left leaning voters or other politicians want them to face consequences for it? :?

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 7:28 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

How do you figure it’s always a bogus charge?

Probably this?

Quote:
Sedition Charges Are Almost Always a Terrible Idea
Laws against sedition have historically been used by insecure officials to punish critics.

https://reason.com/2021/01/11/sedition- ... ible-idea/

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 7:38 pm

Mmhmm.. stewart rhodes was merely criticizing the United States government.. he couldn’t have possibly been charged & convicted because he, oh I don’t know.. tried to overthrow the US government or anything.. :lol: :roll:

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 8:02 pm

^ You asked a question, I gave you a possible answer, you will have to wait for Dox if you want his reason.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 11:46 pm

As a citizen of the US, you are only permitted to riot, terrorize and steal (loot) from the Continental Divide heading West, unless you are ANTIFA. Then, it's carte blanche.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 12:02 am

Rioting in the Capitol building. Breaking windows. Threatening Mike Pence verbally and in writing. Having tools of hanging in their possession. Breaking into congresspeople’s offices. Attempting to prevent the certification of an election.

PRETTY MAJOR STUFF! Almost at a level with the British setting fire to the White House about 1814.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 12:02 am

Persephone29 wrote:
As a citizen of the US, you are only permitted to riot, terrorize and steal (loot) from the Continental Divide heading West, unless you are ANTIFA. Then, it's carte blanche.

So, from what you wrote... only Antifa aren't allowed to riot?

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 12:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Rioting in the Capitol building. Breaking windows. Threatening Mike Pence verbally and in writing. Having tools of hanging in their possession. Breaking into congresspeople’s offices. Attempting to prevent the certification of an election.

PRETTY MAJOR STUFF! Almost at a level with the British setting fire to the White House about 1814.

And Team Red thinks they can make Americans "forget" that it ever happened by essentially gaslighting the entire country.

They're really no different than the Chinese Overlords trying to censure the Tiananmen Square Massacre. And this is why we should never ever trust the GOP again. We all know at this point they're a bunch of wolves in elephant's clothing.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 12:11 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

And Team Red thinks they can make Americans "forget" that it ever happened by essentially gaslighting the entire country.

They're really no different than the Chinese Overlords trying to censure the Tiananmen Square Massacre. And this is why we should never ever trust the GOP again. We all know at this point they're a bunch of wolves in elephant's clothing.

Trump's die-hard voters are still claiming that the riot was just a peaceful demonstration, and that the convicted rioters are political prisoners.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 12:12 am

I think anyone could blend with a band of rioters along the West Coast. The East Coast is still steeped in propriety, I'd die before I'd behave that way. It's just low rent. If I saw a riot I would automatically think ANTIFA. There's always been something about January 6th that just didn't seem genuinely conservative. It seemed contrived.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 12:14 am

AND they claim that the rioters were really ANTIFA disguised as Trump supporters and all this other horse crap.

They can't even keep their story straight. :lol: