describe a favorite old car you used to own

Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 6:25 am

jogashill wrote:
in high school i 'inherited' our family vehicle which my sister drove before me (and my brother later inherited it too ha ha) but it was a white 1977 Audi Fox 4 speed manual. it was an awesome little car! it had a blaupunkt stereo tapedeck with excellent speakers and it was a 4 door hatchback so i could cart many friends if they wanted to squish themselves illegally into the back. it also had a cute "face" with the headlights and the audi insignia and the taillights were like fox ears. later when i got my 2007 subaru forester i realized one of the reasons i also liked it because the taillights were similar to the audi fox Image

my mom had a '75 similar to the picture above, i had no idea they ever had twin headlamps. it drove well, rode decently on bad roads/rough roads, was as refined as a car could be back then in terms of noise/vibration/harshness. plenty roomy but the manual steering really was tough.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 7:02 am

My burgundy red Ford Falcon. I bought it from ebay for $2,200. It has a CD player and a cassette player. I used to drive it at 160 kilometres per hour through the country side and it felt as smooth as butter. I drove it to Victoria a couple of times. It was so good at towing you could didn't even notice the trailer was there.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 7:17 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
My burgundy red Ford Falcon. I bought it from ebay for $2,200. It has a CD player and a cassette player. I used to drive it at 160 kilometres per hour through the country side and it felt as smooth as butter. I drove it to Victoria a couple of times. It was so good at towing you could didn't even notice the trailer was there.

what year was it? over here, they only made the falcon until 1970, it was replaced by something called the Maverick-
back in the 80s a few times i drove one i rented from a "rent-a-wreck" that barely ran but was comfy enough and drove well enough over the crappy roads typical here. i take it your falcons are quite different from the ones we had.

jogashill
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 7:27 am

auntblabby wrote:
jogashill wrote:
in high school i 'inherited' our family vehicle which my sister drove before me (and my brother later inherited it too ha ha) but it was a white 1977 Audi Fox 4 speed manual. it was an awesome little car! it had a blaupunkt stereo tapedeck with excellent speakers and it was a 4 door hatchback so i could cart many friends if they wanted to squish themselves illegally into the back. it also had a cute "face" with the headlights and the audi insignia and the taillights were like fox ears. later when i got my 2007 subaru forester i realized one of the reasons i also liked it because the taillights were similar to the audi fox Image

my mom had a '75 similar to the picture above, i had no idea they ever had twin headlamps. it drove well, rode decently on bad roads/rough roads, was as refined as a car could be back then in terms of noise/vibration/harshness. plenty roomy but the manual steering really was tough.

wish i still had one!! ! i like that style, too. wonder what made them say 'let's do double headlights'

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 7:38 am

jogashill wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
jogashill wrote:

wish i still had one!! ! i like that style, too. wonder what made them say 'let's do double headlights'

since the audi 90 and 100 [upmarket models] had twin headlamps, i guess they wanted the audi family resemblance to attract more buyers is my guess. my mom kept hers for 5 years until 1980, unfortunately the engine wore out on it at about 40k miles, the bearings went bad and it started using a quart of oil at every fill-up of gas. audi would not pay for an overhaul as it was over the warrantee time-limit. overhaul at the time cost about $3000. ouch. replaced it with a toyota. much more reliable. how reliable was that audi of yours?

jogashill
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 7:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
jogashill wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
jogashill wrote:

since the audi 90 and 100 [upmarket models] had twin headlamps, i guess they wanted the audi family resemblance to attract more buyers is my guess. my mom kept hers for 5 years until 1980, unfortunately the engine wore out on it at about 40k miles, the bearings went bad and it started using a quart of oil at every fill-up of gas. audi would not pay for an overhaul as it was over the warrantee time-limit. overhaul at the time cost about $3000. ouch. replaced it with a toyota. much more reliable. how reliable was that audi of yours?

my mom bought it in 80 in colorado before we moved to ohio in 82 - we drove it across the country and it died about 92 or 93 - but only because i had to avoid a driver in the wrong lane and ended up in the ditch, which weakened the axle - and that's what made it come to an end by the time my brother used it! it was an amazing car. sorry your mom's had so much trouble!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 8:30 am

jogashill wrote:
my mom bought it in 80 in colorado before we moved to ohio in 82 - we drove it across the country and it died about 92 or 93 - but only because i had to avoid a driver in the wrong lane and ended up in the ditch, which weakened the axle - and that's what made it come to an end by the time my brother used it! it was an amazing car. sorry your mom's had so much trouble!

glad to hear your luck was far better! :star: btw, did you know the vw fox was essentially the same car?

jogashill
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 8:58 am

glad to hear your luck was far better! :star: btw, did you know the vw fox was essentially the same car?
Image[/quote]

yes :) they don't make them the way they used to...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 9:00 am

jogashill wrote:

yes :) they don't make them the way they used to...[/quote]
yes, now everything is crammed full of computers.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 10:34 am

auntblabby wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
/\I was eighteen.Stupidly sold it.
A true classic except it did enjoy drinking gas.

ya mighta needed the duckie$$ for something more pressing at that time.

The body and engine was in great shape but the interior needed a complete redo,carpet, seats, etc….
Still, I wish I’d kept it. :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 10:45 am

Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
/\I was eighteen.Stupidly sold it.
A true classic except it did enjoy drinking gas.

ya mighta needed the duckie$$ for something more pressing at that time.

The body and engine was in great shape but the interior needed a complete redo,carpet, seats, etc….
Still, I wish I’d kept it. :(

i bet some collector was very happy to have it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 10:45 am

Oh blabbs I have a dream to share!
Don't let me forget!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 10:47 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Oh blabbs I have a dream to share!
Don't let me forget!

i'm headed to dreamland meself, i will look for your dream when i awaken in a few hours...

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 10:50 am

Lol I had already forgotten.
Will go there now!

Sweet dreams!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 10:51 am

:)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 11:40 am

auntblabby wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i briefly had a '93 Chevy Lumina base sedan, i liked it because it was the same chassis as the Cadillac sedan de ville, and rode like a Cadillac, what was different was it was several hundred pounds lighter and didn't have the Cadillac hydraulic dampers but still rode as good as the Cadillac, in that it floated over the bumps without letting me hear or feel them, it was just as though the bumps just weren't there. had a smooth v-6 engine that you couldn't hear running unless you opened the hood. large bench seat up front was comfy, very roomy car. wish i'd been able to keep it, i borrowed it from somebody.

Not quite, they don't share platforms. The W platform the Lumina and related cars used is substantially smaller than the C platforms the Sedan De Ville was built on at that time.

The H platform cars like the Bonneville are related to the C platform cars.
The 88, LeSabre and Bonneville were the ones related to the Cadillac platform.
The Grand Prix, Regal, Cutlass Supreme, etc were platform mates of the Lumina.

ah so :study: in any case, it RODE like the sedan de ville unlike the other H cars which rode with somewhat less suppleness over the bumps, i've driven them all. the chevies were tuned far softer.

Interesting, I'd have expected the Olds and Buick to be the soft ones.

They're smaller than I expected.
I wouldn't mind a black Lumina with a 3 on it. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う