describe a favorite old car you used to own

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 11:44 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Interesting, I'd have expected the Olds and Buick to be the soft ones. They're smaller than I expected. I wouldn't mind a black Lumina with a 3 on it. :lol:

you mean a 3-liter v6? or what other kind of "3" do you mean? and the lumina was only 4 inches shorter in overall length than a caddy sedan de ville. and both buick and olds were aiming for more of the youth [boomer] market and les of the geezer market so they sportified their stodgy old sedans to try to make them snazzier and snazzier-handling, but chevy stuck with the tried and true WW2 generation who were still buying their cars.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 11:54 am

auntblabby wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Interesting, I'd have expected the Olds and Buick to be the soft ones. They're smaller than I expected. I wouldn't mind a black Lumina with a 3 on it. :lol:

you mean a 3-liter v6? or what other kind of "3" do you mean? and the lumina was only 4 inches shorter in overall length than a caddy sedan de ville. and both buick and olds were aiming for more of the youth [boomer] market and les of the geezer market so they sportified their stodgy old sedans to try to make them snazzier and snazzier-handling, but chevy stuck with the tried and true WW2 generation who were still buying their cars.

I'm mostly looking at wheelbase, it's shorter than a 1st gen Mustang or Camaro in that measure. The overhangs are surprisingly large for a car with such a short wheelbase. I didn't realize that when I looked at the wheelbase measurement.

As for a black Lumina with a 3 on it:

Why else?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 12:08 pm

^^^i bet that one is VERY stiffly suspended, fine for a race track in any case :) they did make "lumina sport" models that were substantially stiffer [no more plus cadillac ride] and they had a much more powerful v6 in them, DOHC multivalve.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 12:11 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^i bet that one is VERY stiffly suspended, fine for a race track in any case :) they did make "lumina sport" models that were substantially stiffer [no more plus cadillac ride] and they had a much more powerful v6 in them, DOHC multivalve.

That one's just a tube frame playing dress-up as a regular car.

I remember the Z34s, but I don't know anyone who had one. Them and the Taurus SHO were both kinda interesting.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 12:16 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I remember the Z34s, but I don't know anyone who had one. Them and the Taurus SHO were both kinda interesting.

i can tell you like 'em sporty, i like my rides the other stodgy extreme, give me that pillow-soft magic carpet ride, filter out all the bumps and thumps.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 12:43 pm

auntblabby wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i can tell you like 'em sporty, i like my rides the other stodgy extreme, give me that pillow-soft magic carpet ride, filter out all the bumps and thumps.

Thankfully these days it's a lot easier to reconcile those two concerns.

What I really like is stiff rollbars, stiff dampers, soft springs. I don't want every little bump to be like getting punched in the kidneys but I want my weight/inertia to transfer predictably and in a controlled fashion. Soft spring let bumps get absorbed and allow you to shift weight front/back easily under braking/acceleration, while the stiff antiroll reduces left/right weight transfer under cornering.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 3:07 am

detroit pig iron useta reconcile handling and ride by using a combo of medium-rate springs, medium rate shocks and thick rubber bushings in the suspension mounts, the combo of which afforded reasonably stable handling and at least a superficially pillowy ride over rough roads. .

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 5:43 pm

auntblabby wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
My burgundy red Ford Falcon. I bought it from ebay for $2,200. It has a CD player and a cassette player. I used to drive it at 160 kilometres per hour through the country side and it felt as smooth as butter. I drove it to Victoria a couple of times. It was so good at towing you could didn't even notice the trailer was there.

what year was it? over here, they only made the falcon until 1970, it was replaced by something called the Maverick-
back in the 80s a few times i drove one i rented from a "rent-a-wreck" that barely ran but was comfy enough and drove well enough over the crappy roads typical here. i take it your falcons are quite different from the ones we had.

It was made in 2000

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 6:36 pm

I've owned three used Volvo's - two sedans from the 1980s and 1990s - both of which lasted to at least 140,000 miles. One 2008 two-door Volvo made-it to 95,000 miles.

My mechanic mentioned that Volvo's soemtimes proved to be very intersting vehicles to service.

Most of all the quality, and safety of Volvo's were of most interest.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 9:04 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
My burgundy red Ford Falcon. I bought it from ebay for $2,200. It has a CD player and a cassette player. I used to drive it at 160 kilometres per hour through the country side and it felt as smooth as butter. I drove it to Victoria a couple of times. It was so good at towing you could didn't even notice the trailer was there.

what year was it? over here, they only made the falcon until 1970, it was replaced by something called the Maverick-
back in the 80s a few times i drove one i rented from a "rent-a-wreck" that barely ran but was comfy enough and drove well enough over the crappy roads typical here. i take it your falcons are quite different from the ones we had.

It was made in 2000

I wish they kept selling Falcons here. It's disappointing Ford and GM couldn't keep a rear-wheel drive sedan in the line-up like Toyota or Nissan.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 10:14 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

It was made in 2000

30 years newer, quite different. the old one had a sort of charm, it was a compact car with a bench seat and column shifter just like uncle's crown vic.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 10:31 pm

My first car was an Online Banking Password Hint. I drove it with my Name Of First Pet to the Name Of School I First Attended in the City Where I Was Born.

Yeah, the internet is perfectly safe. Abraham Lincoln said so in his Twitter post.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 10:33 pm

how much trouble is it to look up all the owners of said cars?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2023, 8:01 am

auntblabby wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

It was made in 2000

30 years newer, quite different. the old one had a sort of charm, it was a compact car with a bench seat and column shifter just like uncle's crown vic.

Newer. Not quite as compact. This is what it looked like.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2023, 9:18 am

^^my my, why couldn't ford have sold something so stylish over here? it reminds me of the last lincoln continental mark 8, i wonder if they are in fact the same car with different badging? does this car come with an optional air suspension?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2023, 10:17 am

Vauxhall Corsa C. It was bullet proof, built like a tank and handles like a typical small european hatchback. You could launch it around corners.

The old Skoda Fabia VRS was even better. Also bullet proof and a similar size but the fastest accelerating stock car I ever driven. It had a brutal turbo to go with a disproportionately chunky diesel for such a small car. Handled worse because the engine was so big.