Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 11:52 am

UQ student awarded national prize for debunking common autism myth

Quote:
A University of Queensland PhD student has been awarded a national prize for debunking a common myth about children with autism.

Chloe Yap, from UQ's Institute for Molecular Bioscience and Mater Research, won the 2022 CSL Florey Next Generation Award for busting the myth that the gut microbiome causes autism.

Ms Yap and her colleagues found that changes in gut bacteria in children with autism are instead caused by their eating habits.

”Our study provides clarity for families and clinicians and puts the focus on good diet rather than a false hope of experimental and expensive microbiome treatments."

Ms Chloe Yap, UQ's Institute for Molecular Bioscience and Mater Research

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 5:41 pm

not a moment too soon. So much nonsense out there... glad to see young minds wading into the fray and helping sort truth from fiction.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 6:00 pm

I've met Chloe at an autism symposium in Melbourne. I am a little surprised at the way this has been reported. I think this is designed to give her project some clout?.

There has never been evidence that gut microbes cause autism. Her research was never mean't to show that. My understanding speaking with her is that it was to examine the association between autism symptoms and gut flora.

There's two multimillion dollar institutes in Melbourne that looks at the association of gut bacteria and psychiatric conditions in Deakin and Melbourne University so there is definitely a link even if its not causal.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 6:33 pm

I'm glad this has been "put to rest."

I'm glad the "gut dysphoria" thing has been debunked.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 10:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm glad this has been "put to rest."

I'm glad the "gut dysphoria" thing has been debunked.

You can't debunk something that was never a valid theory to begin with??

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 10:55 pm

Vaccines causing autism was never a “valid theory,” either—but this connection is often said to have been “debunked.”