This article is a fine example of political propaganda p

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2022, 11:59 am

The following NYpost article is a masterpiece of political propaganda pretending to be news.

https://nypost.com/2022/11/26/mount-hol ... e-culture/

A common theme in propaganda is telling the reader/viewer what the other side is for, and its always something awful. Personal stories are always preferred because its a way of reassuring the choir you are preaching to that they are in fact the real smart people.

Basically the TL, DR; version is that a rich heiress got "brainwashed" by attending an expensive womens only lib arts college in Western MA. She became a problem drinker and a radical progressive who hated white men. Her mom heroically paid for $300/day "deprogramming" to save her, she quit drinking, and now she is a right wing Republican.

I'm sure her conversion had nothing to do with her being a rich heiress.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 12:59 pm

I'm starting to believe everything is propaganda. The news, movies, internet memes, etc. They're all designed to either lie or slant the truth to manipulate the masses into feeling a certain way, and it's been going on that way since the very beginning. That's why humans are the most untrustworthy animals on the planet.

As the old saying goes: believe half of what you see and nothing that you hear.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2022, 7:01 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I'm starting to believe everything is propaganda. The news, movies, internet memes, etc. They're all designed to either lie or slant the truth to manipulate the masses into feeling a certain way, and it's been going on that way since the very beginning. That's why humans are the most untrustworthy animals on the planet.

Not really. Cat videos aren't really propaganda. Nor are most sporting events.

Most news is not propaganda either. Reporting on a car accident is not propaganda and most news is local.

The biases in so called "mainstream media" are generally due to them needing eyeballs to get revenue. Its not really trying to push a viewpoint as much as "what will drive attention."

So thats how you end up with "themes" being played up in media - some "themes" just get more attention than others so the media runs with it.

In 2016 a lot of news outlets ended up helping Trump out by merely talking about him.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 7:11 pm

stratozyck wrote:

Not really. Cat videos aren't really propaganda. Nor are most sporting events.

No that stuff is more like the "bread and circuses" tactics that the Ancient Romans used in order to distract the public from how bad their society was failing.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2022, 7:17 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

No that stuff is more like the "bread and circuses" tactics that the Ancient Romans used in order to distract the public from how bad their society was failing.

I don't think our society is failing. Our sports are at worst propaganda to sell you beer and cars.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 7:18 pm

stratozyck wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

I don't think our society is failing. Our sports are at worst propaganda to sell you beer and cars.

Meh, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 9:38 pm

stratozyck wrote:
The following NYpost article is a masterpiece of political propaganda pretending to be news.

https://nypost.com/2022/11/26/mount-hol ... e-culture/

A common theme in propaganda is telling the reader/viewer what the other side is for, and its always something awful. Personal stories are always preferred because its a way of reassuring the choir you are preaching to that they are in fact the real smart people.

Basically the TL, DR; version is that a rich heiress got "brainwashed" by attending an expensive womens only lib arts college in Western MA. She became a problem drinker and a radical progressive who hated white men. Her mom heroically paid for $300/day "deprogramming" to save her, she quit drinking, and now she is a right wing Republican.

I'm sure her conversion had nothing to do with her being a rich heiress.

It is propaganda if
1. It did not happen
2. It did happen but the article hyped it up way beyond what it was
3. It did happen but is an isolated incident written to seem like "woke indoctrination" is common.

You have not provided evidence of the above or other proof it is fake or hyped news.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 11:33 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Yes I think it's hard to find anything that's free of spin. I think even individuals mostly have axes to grind and partial ideas to "sell" or some wish to "win" discussions. I suppose impartial stuff is there somewhere but it can be hard to find. It's easier to find when nobody has any preferred version of a matter, and I've not seen that happen much when it's politics or religion.