Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 12:35 pm

People with autism are not 'indifferent or hypo-sensitive' to pain

Quote:
People with autism have normal pain thresholds but increased sensitivity to painful stimuli, concludes a study in PAIN®, the official publication of the International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP). The journal is published in the Lippincott portfolio by Wolters Kluwer.

"This evidence demonstrating enhanced pain sensitivity warrants changing the common belief that autistic individuals experience less pain," according to the report by Prof. Irit Weissman-Fogel of University of Haifa, Israel, and colleagues. They believe their findings highlight the need for increased awareness, which may impact effective treatment of pain in people with autism.

The researchers aimed to test the "prevailing assumption" that people with autism are hypo-sensitive to pain. Current diagnostic criteria suggest that autistic people demonstrate "apparent indifference" to pain or temperature. Yet most previous studies have not shown differences in pain sensitivity in autistic individuals.

Prof. Weissman-Fogel and colleagues performed in-depth laboratory tests of pain perception in 104 adults, 52 with autism. This sample is the largest as of yet testing pain psychophysics in autism. The two groups had similar scores on a brief cognitive test. People with autism had higher use of psychiatric medications, and rated themselves as having greater anxiety as well as higher sensitivity to pain and to daily environmental stimuli (such as smell, noise, light). This research project was funded by the Israel Science Foundation (ISF; 1005/17).

On quantitative sensory tests, there were no differences in thermal and pain detection thresholds between the autistic and non-autistic groups. This indicates normal pain and thermal thresholds, suggesting "normal functioning of the peripheral nervous system" among participants with autism.

However, the autistic group gave consistently higher pain ratings in response to various stimuli above their pain threshold, proving pain hypersensitivity. The tests also provided evidence that people with autism can successfully inhibit short pain stimuli but not long-lasting pain stimuli. Importantly, experiencing long-lasting pain in daily life is a risk factor for developing chronic pain.

Together, the findings suggest that people with autism have a "pro-nociceptive" pain modulation profile: their brain appears more active in facilitating pain experience and less active in inhibiting continuous pain. This is consistent with the theory of excitatory/inhibitory imbalance as an underlying mechanism of autism spectrum disorder – but one that has been neglected in terms of pain processing.

The study questions the perception that people with autism experience less pain, and instead suggests that they may have enhanced pain sensitivity. Prof. Weissman-Fogel and colleagues write, "This misinterpretation can lead to late diagnosis and poor treatment causing suffering and exacerbating the autistic symptoms" – potentially increasing the risk of developing chronic pain conditions. While their study focused on a group of autistic people with essentially normal cognitive function, the researchers write, "these results may also apply to people with autism whose cognitive and verbal communication impairments may eliminate their ability to communicate their pain."

Indifference or hypersensitivity? Solving the riddle of the pain profile in individuals with autism

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 5:21 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
The researchers aimed to test the "prevailing assumption" that people with autism are

Why is so much stuff about we who are autistic based merely on what NT's assume ...? :( :evil:

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 7:48 pm

Da_Zero_A_Dieci wrote:
Let's assume it was the other way around: they are the minority and we describe them

I guess first it would have to be decided whether that exercise is founded on existing majority rules or new rules we create.

Because the existing rules for the exercise appear to run something like:
"
We could ask the minority to describe their state of being, but we the majority are fully aware that the minority are too poorly developed to be able to express themselves and their experience. Therefore we the majority are compelled to tell them what their proper experience of being the minority is. And, hey, if the minority weren't so poorly developed then they wouldn't have been reduced to being the minority now would they! Man it sure sucks to be them, I'm so glad we're us and not them!
"

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 8:21 pm

I was anything but insensitive to pain as a kid, no wonder I was never diagnosed until adulthood. From these so-called studies you'd think we actually had feelings and emotions like most other people and that dehumanizing us is somehow wrong. :roll:

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 8:37 pm

what do them big S mean?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 9:10 pm

Caz72 wrote:
what do them big S mean?

The S shaped symbol ( § ) means "section" and is used to show a new section of text.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 10:08 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
The researchers aimed to test the "prevailing assumption" that people with autism are

Why is so much stuff about we who are autistic based merely on what NT's assume ...? :( :evil:

Majority rules

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman