Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 6:57 pm

Yesterday morning, I woke up very badly depressed, I felt soooo overwhelmed, toooo much pressure of what I have to do, I felt empty, I had no energy, I could not get out of bed, I felt like a very dark cloud over my head. I got up to go to the bathroom, then I went back to bed. Why Aspergers can do this to you?

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2022, 7:20 pm

I don't think its necessarily related.

Feeling depressed now and then is normal, its when its long term and causes you to stop doing things in life that it becomes problematic.

Have you tried drinking coffee?

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2022, 5:20 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Yesterday morning, I woke up very badly depressed, I felt soooo overwhelmed, toooo much pressure of what I have to do, I felt empty, I had no energy, I could not get out of bed, I felt like a very dark cloud over my head. I got up to go to the bathroom, then I went back to bed. Why Aspergers can do this to you?

Are you saying that you are experiencing clinical depression?
If so, it is actually more than ASD.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 6:41 am

might not be autism/aspergers but simply depression. we can have several diagnoses, they are not necessarily related (but sometimes they are) Self care is important, see your doctor if this continues. hope you are doing better today

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2022, 9:09 am

autisticelders wrote:
might not be autism/aspergers but simply depression. we can have several diagnoses, they are not necessarily related (but sometimes they are) Self care is important, see your doctor if this continues. hope you are doing better today

I think what you say is extremely important.
Very inportant.
But it is difficult to say what is autism and what is not.
I think the expert say that autism and depression can be very related.
This is a very difficult topic and one needs to see an expert if there is co-morbidity

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 3:14 pm

Yes if you can find a good healthcare professional you can afford, try that if your symptoms don't go away. Certainly depression is thought to be more common in Aspies, but it doesn't happen to us all.

If it were me, I'd try self-help first, but that's just me. I'd want to ask myself if anything bad had been happening in my life that might have triggered it. I prefer that kind of explanation of depression and that kind of solution as a first resort, because I don't readily trust medicalising things and I don't readily trust health professionals.

But that's not to say that everybody can fix their depression by thinking out their own strategy to reduce external causes, or that doctors never help depressed people. But again, if it were me and I couldn't fix it for myself, my next resort would be to talk to my friends, and perhaps in a way that's what you're doing here. Just telling friends of my troubles might be enough. As for any advice they had, I'd consider it, and I'd take their advice if - and only if - I thought it was good.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 3:34 pm

I believe the hardships of living with Asperger's/Autism, coupled with a lack of a social network, can cause and amplify depression in Aspies. You're not crazy and you're not alone.

jalila
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Dec 2022, 3:39 pm

Asperger's syndrome is a neurodevelopmental disorder that can affect a person's ability to communicate and interact with others. People with Asperger's may experience difficulty understanding social cues and may have difficulty forming and maintaining relationships. While Asperger's is not directly related to depression, some individuals with Asperger's may be at an increased risk for developing depression or other mental health conditions.

It is not uncommon for people with Asperger's to experience feelings of overwhelm, pressure, and isolation. These feelings may be caused by a variety of factors, such as difficulty navigating social situations, misunderstandings or conflicts with others, or a lack of support from friends and family. These challenges can be difficult to manage, and can sometimes lead to feelings of depression or other mental health issues.

If you are feeling overwhelmed, depressed, or experiencing other mental health symptoms, it is important to seek support from a mental health professional. A therapist or counselor can help you to identify and address the underlying causes of your symptoms, and can provide you with the tools and strategies you need to manage your feelings and improve your mental health. It is also important to reach out to friends and family for support, and to take care of yourself by getting enough rest, eating well, and engaging in activities that you enjoy.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 12:26 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
Asperger's/Autism itself doesn't do that to you. What causes this kind of depression is not that you are on the Spectrum but it's because of how non Autistic people treat you because you are on the Spectrum. The way we are treated is extremely abusive socially and often times it can be subtle. But that kind of abuse is extremely destructive and the daily accumulation of being treated that way every single day, takes a huge toll on your mind and on your body. You become completely exhausted mentally. emotionally, and neurologically and that is what brings about the depression and even the anxiety that many of us feel. You are also probably in Autism burnout, which is also largely caused by how we are treated by non Autistic people.

Wreck It Ralph

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 5:37 pm

Kitty, so sorry. I was depressed for many decades, almost didn't survive. My support system know thinks it was a result of significant social invalidation and unchecked anxiety. When I went through a medical hardship in my 30s I called myself "functionally depressed". Mostly days of despair, but I kept putting one (sluggish) foot in front of the other. It wasn't until I happened upon environments, people, friends who were supportive (and validating) that I got my (happy) feet under me and began to thrive. Wishing you find --or happen upon-- a way through these hard times / circumstances.