China bans Black Panther and Black Adam

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 3:51 am

In a curious coincidence China has banned both DC's Black Adam and Marvel's Black Panther
https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/b ... china.html
https://www.insider.com/china-ban-black ... rt-2022-11

The reasons somewhat lame. Black Adam includes actor Pierce Brosnan who was once photographed with the Dalai Lama and Black Panther apparently has one scene involving two female queer/gays characters.

But is it a coincidence that both movies have the word "black" in the title?
Are the CCP worried that both movies might promote strong black characters to the Chinese public, especially Chinese women?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 4:13 am

Yes, I'm sure that's exactly it.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 8:12 am

And people tell me that only white people are capable of racism. :lol:

Minder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Dec 2022, 12:20 pm

To the best of my knowledge, Black Adam doesn't have anything to do with Black people.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 2:55 pm

As a DC collector I would have told you that Black Adam was a white guy. He just looked like a bad-guy version of Captain Marvel/Shazam, a goofy Superman knockoff.

On further reading Black Adam is originally Egyptian. So he is African.

In the film he is played by actor/wrestler Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson.

According to this:

https://www.thecoconet.tv/coco-talanoa/ ... ethnicity/

“Johnson’s mother is Samoan, while his father is of Black Nova Scotian heritage, making him a descendant of the African-Americans who left the United States along with the British after the end of the American Revolution, having chosen to side with those who would give them their freedom.”

And apparently Black Adam was a bad-guy but became more of an anti-hero at some point (one of the reboots?). More like Deadpool. I stopped collecting in the 1980s and haven’t really kept up on all the reboots.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 5:36 pm

Minder wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, Black Adam doesn't have anything to do with Black people.

The release of the first trailer for Black Adam showed the first few minutes of the movie. To a Chinese audience it looks like the main character is black because the actor they had playing a young Dwayne Johnson was clearly a black actor (much darker than Dwayne). Perception is everything.

Minder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Dec 2022, 5:40 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Minder wrote:

The release of the first trailer for Black Adam showed the first few minutes of the movie. To a Chinese audience it looks like the main character is black because the actor they had playing a young Dwayne Johnson was clearly a black actor (much darker than Dwayne). Perception is everything.

Your perception of Asian people matters too.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 6:02 pm

Minder wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Minder wrote:

Your perception of Asian people matters too.

Oh it's hardly a revelation though
https://nypost.com/2020/08/06/hollywood ... et-report/
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/d ... lack-actor

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 7:39 pm

I went back and looked at images of the original Black Adam artwork. He didn't look any different in skin color than any of the other characters like, Captain Marvel/Billy Batson, Mary Marvel, Uncle Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr./Freddy Freeman (etc).

Apparently the art people in those days assumed Egyptians looked like Americans and Europeans.

As in Cleopatra/Liz Taylor.

So I am not crazy - my memory was accurate.

Sgt. Fury/Nick Fury was a white guy in the comics who didn't look anything like Samuel L. Jackson.
(But I have to say I really like Samuel L. Jackson's version).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 8:02 pm

Anti African racism is a thing in China.

More Africans (workers, students, etc) are in China than ever before.

But is the Chinese regime really afraid that young ladies will date African men?

I doubt that the African presence in China is large enough to threaten the billion and half population of that country with large scale miscegenation.

Hollywood goes to heroically unheroic lengths to kowtow to the Chinese movie market. Kicking the asses of its American own to do so regardless of the skin color of...the asses being kicked. :lol:

Richard Gere doesnt look Black to me.
Talk about 'cancel culture'.

https://youtu.be/8kk-KI2KPI4

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 8:54 pm

Fenn wrote:
I went back and looked at images of the original Black Adam artwork. He didn't look any different in skin color than any of the other characters like, Captain Marvel/Billy Batson, Mary Marvel, Uncle Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr./Freddy Freeman (etc).

99.9% of Chinese movie goers will look at the current movie (I am sure many are watching illegal downloads of the trailer) based on what they see. And what they see is a black kid playing the rock in the first 10min.