Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Your opinions
I would totally agree with your brothers opinion on Steven 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
He's trying to give acting his best shot the only way he knows how 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 6

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 12:26 pm

After watching the 'Glimmer man' my brothers opinions of the action movie actor Steven Seagal is....

"He's a one dimensional s**t head"

"A strange actor"

"The most pathetic actor of all time"

Do you share similar views about him or not?

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2022, 1:13 pm

This post made me realize I've never seen a movie with Steven Seagal in it. I should probably watch one.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 1:16 pm

Never saw any of his movies but I have heard he's a sh***y person in real life.

But then again so are a lot of celebrities who work in Hollowood.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 2:07 pm

He stars in 'Don't even bother to chuck it in the bargain bin' movies.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 4:22 pm

firemonkey wrote:
He stars in 'Don't even bother to chuck it in the bargain bin' movies.

That’s a fair assessment.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 8:10 pm

I'm of that age where I know him and Jean-Claude Van Damme from loads of 80's action movies.

After having spent over a decade in an Inosanto blend of arts (really Kali, Arnis, Wingchun, Kuntao/Silat, some JKD sets) I think the thing he did which was unusual was that he actually made Aikido look really practical. Any time I've seen it taught locally, especially when it's something like Daito Ryu (close cousin), it's just... good theatre maybe? Really arcane self defense situations seem a lot less likely in the modern world (or in less organized warlike societies such as Filipino Morro). Morihei Ueshiba and some of his direct students were probably amazing but in a lot of cases it's a thing of these guys actually being great natural fighters to begin with, and without building that foundation first it's really tough to guide yourself on how to use techniques in a way that make timing, reach, and effectiveness sense.

So I give him credit for making Aikido look boss in ways that I hadn't seen before. I still haven't seen the schools and lesson plans though that create the missing link from mental chi / ki exercises and stopping a palace guard from drawing his sword/dagger on one hand and doing what Seagal does which... almost looks like a forerunner of Russian Systema Spetsnaz where aggressive application of Aikido mixed with other things is a given.

For acting though - a lot of martial artists will be Michelle Rodriguez equivalents, ie. they get scripted not to act but play some variant of themselves along alternate narrative arcs and it's really unlikely you'll see a movie with them in it and not realize it was them unless they were half lens-blurred feeding pigeons in the background somewhere for a few moments.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 8:57 pm

You might not like his acting and you don't have to. But underneath the actor is a real person. His real charactor could be totally different to how he is seen in the films.
Please allow some respect for that.

Do you know that some actors never play the "Good guys" and always play the criminals becauze they are good at it and were asked to play more and more "Bad guy" parts. This does NOT mean they are bad people in real life. Some are the nicest people in real life that you could get to meet!
If you want to know who is a genuine nice person and who is a horrible person in real life, start by listening to those who had to work with them, as some of Holywoods most famous actors were horrible people in real life and some were really nice people, and as they were all acting, one can never tell if one watches the films.
I have seen the same with TV newscastors that I have met during my time working on the railways. A few were right nasty people who would jump up and down in tempers if things were not right and were followed by a full host of film crew wherever they went tending to their every need and cared more for their "Image" then the people they interviewed who they treated like they didn't matter. (E.G. a well known BBC news presenter and team).

Yet some others who had to work solo were the kindest nicest people I have ever met and I am genuine when I say this, and they got the very best from the ones they interviewed and the ones being intwrviewed were made to feel wanted and special. (HTV Wales cameraman who did it all as a one man operation).

It really varies from individual to individual.

What I am saying is never judge a person until you get to know them from either personally meeting them, or by finding out from those who actually know and work with them.

You may be in for a few genuine surprises if you do this.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 01 Dec 2022, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 9:02 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
You might not like his acting and you don't have to. But underneath the actor is a real person. His real charactor could be totally different to how he is seen in the films.

Do you know that some actors never play the "Good guys" and always play the criminals becauze they are good at it and were asked to play more and more "Bad guy" parts. This does NOT mean they are bad people in real life. Some are the nicest people in real life that you could get to meet!
If you want to know who is a genuine nice person and who is a horrible person in real life, start by listening to those who had to work with them, as some of Holywoods most famous actors were horrible people in real life and some were really nice people, and as they were all acting, one can never tell if one watches the films.
I have seen the same with TV newscastors that I have met during my time working on the railways. A few were right nasty people who would jump up and down in tempers if things were not right and were followed by a full host of film crew wherever they went tending to their every need and cared more for their "Image" then the people they interviewed who were treated like they didn't matter. (BBC news presenter and team).
Yet some others who had to work solo were the kindest nicest people I have ever met and I am genuine when I say this, and they got the very best from the ones they interviewed and the ones being intwrviewed were made to feel wanted and special. (HTV Wales cameraman who did it all as a one man operation) It really varies from individual to individual.

What I am saying is never judge a person until you get to know them from either personally meeting them, or by finding out from those who actually know and work with them.

You may be in for a few genuine surprises if you do this.

Are we talking about the same actor who was accused of rape by multiple women?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peo ... 528460002/

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 9:21 pm

I don't know as I don't know the individual. Being accused does not mean the accusations are true. You have a court system to sort that out and those who are accused and the accusers are duty bound by God to tell the truth and the court system is set up and designed to find and bring out the truth.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 9:22 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

From what I understand of Seagal the characters he plays are 2/3's him.

I don't know if he's ever played a bad guy role, if he did it was somewhere in the deep 2000's / 2010's (really anything after Exit Wounds with him and DMX) when I'd already stopped watching his movies and shows, but pretty much the gruff good guy whose so good at violence that all the bad guys are terrified of him, a bit like John Wick with less cheese and humor.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 9:32 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I don't know as I don't know the individual. Being accused does not mean the accusations are true. You have a court system to sort that out and those who are accused and the accusers are duty bound by God to tell the truth and the court system is set up and designed to find and bring out the truth.

I'm a firm believer in the old saying that where there's smoke there's fire and if there's anything the Bill Cosby case taught me it's that our American court systems aren't always fair to the victims.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 10:05 pm

I thought your court system was designed to look for truth?

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 10:38 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I thought your court system was designed to look for truth?

Why do you think the statue of Lady Justice is always covered with a blind fold? :lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 1:42 am

I never thought much of Seagal or his movies, but when he gave up his American citizenship to become Putin's best pal, I really came to hate him.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 1:54 am

Never heard of him.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 1:56 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Never heard of him.

Consider yourself lucky.