Does Anyone Else Look Away From Things You're Doing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2022, 12:50 pm

I don't know why I do this, and I didn't realize I did it until I was scolded by a friend for reaching under the table for a possibly spillable drink while keeping my field of vision above the table. I seem to do it mostly when I'm reaching down for things, I don't look at the thing I look up or off to the side somehwere. Just now I was washing my hands and reaching for paper towels from the dispenser and I was looking in the opposite direction, somewhere off into space centered at the corner of the wall away from the sink. If it's something that requires careful attention (using a knife) I'll look but I mostly prefer to keep stuff in my peripheral. Is this an observed behavior? Does it have a name?

Here I drew an artist's rendition.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 8:25 pm

One of the problems many Aspies have is that they avoid EYE TO EYE CONTACT. I do not know why I do this but I do. As a result most NTs automatically consider that I am false, Keep away from him, He is evil. This is an automatic judgement on their part. But this is true. I do not make eye to eye contact. Several years ago, I bought an interesting pair of sunglasses. They were one way glasses. They looked like normal sunglasses except now one could see my eyes. They were not dark so it was almost like looking through normal glasses.

So what is the point. Well total strangers came to me and began conversations. No one ever did that to me before. It was almost like becoming an NT. Years ago police use to wear these glasses. The reason why is that they did not want to give away any foresight to the potential criminals they had to deal with. It protected them by blocking their thoughts.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2022, 8:05 am

jimmy m wrote:
One of the problems many Aspies have is that they avoid EYE TO EYE CONTACT. I do not know why I do this but I do. As a result most NTs automatically consider that I am false, Keep away from him, He is evil. This is an automatic judgement on their part. But this is true. I do not make eye to eye contact. Several years ago, I bought an interesting pair of sunglasses. They were one way glasses. They looked like normal sunglasses except now one could see my eyes. They were not dark so it was almost like looking through normal glasses.

So what is the point. Well total strangers came to me and began conversations. No one ever did that to me before. It was almost like becoming an NT. Years ago police use to wear these glasses. The reason why is that they did not want to give away any foresight to the potential criminals they had to deal with. It protected them by blocking their thoughts.

This is interesting, but I was talking about interacting with inanimate objects, unless you think this behavior is carried over or something?

I wish I could wear sunglasses and hide my eyes but I'm afraid it would be interpreted as being weird or rude, or worse, suspicious ("why is he hiding his eyes?", etc). I did recently get blue light and UV light filtering glasses to prevent eye strain when looking at screens at work. I keep them on all the time since it's easier than remembering to put them on before looking at a screen. They look like regular glasses. I'm suddenly more comfortable with doing what comes naturally with my eyes, as if I subconciously think they are hidden. :lol:

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Last edited by usagibryan on 02 Dec 2022, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 8:09 am

i thought the picture would make it obvious what op is talking about

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 1:04 am

I once suggested that a co-worker should try doing some things by touch instead of sight. Sometimes I do it for a challenge, and sometimes the practice comes in handy when I have to work by touch alone. As a youth, I'd do 3-D wooden puzzles blind once I'd mastered them with sight. I once did a stove repair blind, but I did turn the power off for that one.
The reason that blacksmiths hit their anvils with their hammers, ignoring the work, is to feel the exact alignment of the head. Driving nails is mostly done by feel, not sight. You see to aim the first blow, and the hammer then tells you if you didn't have it centered.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 4:59 pm

I just remembered that I often had my eyes closed while earning my highest hourly rate. I was doing massage, which is one of the best professions for the blind.