Severe Autistic says “See My Ability, Not My Disability”

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 10:26 am

See my ability, not my disability

Quote:
Autism makes me different, and I like it. And you should, too, because people like me help the world to see things differently.

I am the vice-captain of Hunter River Community School. I am 18 years old and non-verbal. Until last year I had no way to communicate, and people thought I was dumb and stupid. I felt like I was underestimated and my world was very small.

But that’s all changed since I have started to communicate! Now I am able to share with everyone what I think and how I feel. I love it.

Finding my words through writing has let me show people how smart I am. For 17 years I lived in my own world but not anymore. I have just done my HSC and I am going to Newcastle Uni to study Advanced Maths next year. I am so excited.

But imagine if my abilities were not seen. Imagine if I was still stuck inside of myself. None of these exciting things would have happened and this is the reason why people should open their minds and look for what a person can do, not what they can’t.

Autism is a condition where you are different than the normal people. It affects millions of people across the world. There are many different stages of autism, ranging from mild to severe.

I have severe autism, but I do not see it as a disability. I see it as a great opportunity to overcome the judgement and attitudes associated with autism. I am so grateful to have autism. It means I am special. I have this amazing opportunity to spread awareness about autism.

Imagine being trapped inside a body where you know you are different. People are mean. They look. They talk about you, but most of all they laugh at you. Well, that is the reality that people face living with autism.

Autism feels like you are different. Your brain never turns off. I can never have a day without thinking about everything, so that is why I carry three iPads around because it helps regulate my emotions. You may think I am not paying attention, but I am. This is the same with many autistic students.

We have the ability to learn without directly sitting and listening, so do not be fooled. Kids living with autism need sensory help and tools. It's our biggest need other than respect.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 1:14 pm

Quote:
. and I like it. And you should, too,

I and nobody else “should” do anything my body and I and people like me are free to decide themselves what they like.

Quote:
. I have severe autism, but I do not see it as a disability. I see it as a great opportunity to overcome the judgement and attitudes associated with autism. I am so grateful to have autism. It means I am special. I have this amazing opportunity to spread awareness about autism.

Odd comment maybe it’s the way it’s worded what is so good about his autism? he doesn’t really say.

Quote:
It means I am special

Why what makes you so special?unless you like the fact that people have to look after you and you have limited responsibilities from your age peers

Do you really like having limited freedom and living with all the anxiety lack of freedom and stress? Will your comforts last forever when you may outlive your parents.

Quote:
. but I do not see it as a disability.

Severe autism is always a disability take away the help and he will soon understand that

- George Bernie Shaw