Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2022, 12:40 pm

I've ignored literature about "ADHD" because of the word "hyperactivity." I am not hyperactive. I was misdiagnosed with ADD as a kid, then they said it was actually OCD, but now I'm starting to wonder. I didn't know ADD and ADHD were the same thing. I found this Venn Diagram and it's blowing my mind. Things that don't apply are crossed out in red, question mark is uncertainty (I used to have a problem with eye contact but trained myself out of it, and I didn't know object impermanence existed in adults). Most of the autism traits apply to me but ALL of the ADHD traits apply to me, even things I didn't know where establish symptoms like "time blindness" and "little sense of danger." Is it typical for people to have both?

EDIT: I can't tell if the image is loading so here is a direct link: https://imgur.com/a/ZoBbRh3

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2022, 12:51 pm

I thought the same thing. I assumed hyperactive meant physically hyperactive. Turns out I have ADD and ADHD which were diagnosed two years after my ASD. They explained that "hyperactive" doesn't have to mean your body. It can be your brain. Stimming also counts, and I stim nonstop to the point of self-harm. A lot of relationship / interpersonal problems fall under the category of ADHD as well as ASD, too.

For the record I'm on ADHD meds and it really hasn't helped much, except that I'm not so tired all the time. I think the meds are less effective for autistic people because of the overlap in our neurology.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2022, 4:13 pm

At least three subtypes
ADHD-I is the primarily inattentive subtype (I think of this as hyperactive attention
ADHD-H is primarily hyperactive - the physical kind
ADHD-C is the combined subtype, like I plus H

MOONTRIPS
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2022, 7:42 am

they can be comorbid! I've got both!

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 3:49 am

I was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type, then a year later, HFA.

I'm inattentive but inside my head I'm very hyper. Plus I met one hyperactive criterion - the inability to sit still. I notice this the most during a long movie at the cinema.

I'm thankful for ADHD medication, without it I'm a daydream machine.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2022, 7:49 am

Interesting article I found: Adult ADHD: Am I Just Lazy? Um, No. - Oaktree Counseling

Quote:
First, neurotypical people (those without ADHD) make decisions based on three factors: Importance, Rewards, and Consequences. (e.g. I think it's important. Someone I [love, like, fear or respect] thinks it's important. Or, there are consequences and rewards involved.)

People with ADHD, rarely, if ever, make decisions based on these things. Dodson says (and I agree wholeheartedly), that people with ADHD make decisions based on different criteria: Interest, Challenge, Novelty, Urgency (ICNU).

I definitely think my brain works this way.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2023, 2:11 am

ASD/ADHD here.

Here's a quick way to test: can you drink coffee and take a nap? Try it in the afternoon.

If stimulants relax you, you just might be ADHD.

I never got officially diagnosed but when I was in my early 20s I did cocaine for a bit. The guy that sold it to me told me I was ADHD because he saw a lot of people take it and I was one of the few that would take it and be more relaxed.

I could literally do cocaine and almost fall asleep.

Nowadays, I am into coffee, particularly espresso as its more concentrated.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 11:27 am

stratozyck wrote:
ASD/ADHD here.

Here's a quick way to test: can you drink coffee and take a nap? Try it in the afternoon.

If stimulants relax you, you just might be ADHD.

I never got officially diagnosed but when I was in my early 20s I did cocaine for a bit. The guy that sold it to me told me I was ADHD because he saw a lot of people take it and I was one of the few that would take it and be more relaxed.

I could literally do cocaine and almost fall asleep.

Nowadays, I am into coffee, particularly espresso as its more concentrated.

I can drink caffeinated soda and feel sleepy. Unfortunately it's my bladder that'll keep me up, but not energy. I have ADHD.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 12:01 pm

I can't nap in the afternoon or any time of day whether I have caffeine or not.
I've never had a nap in my life (since being a baby).
Coffee doesn't make a difference.
It's because I have sleep disorders.

I can't even sleep at night without prescription sedatives.
I'm on ADHD meds now but they haven't really changed my sleep.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 7:17 am

I find that coffee relaxes me, makes me a bit spacey and if taken in the day then drowsy. Back in uni I used to take it when I needed a nap but was too stressed out to do so. Strong coffee pretty much instantly makes me fall asleep. If I just want to relax, I need it a bit weaker or to offset it with food.

However, if taken at night, then I feel jittery. I think it's something to do with metabolism. When my metabolism slows down, I feel the energy everyone goes on about with caffeine, but when it's in full swing throughout the day I just skip the energy part and experience the crash.

Never been tested for ADHD though. I just know I'm like that with caffeine.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 1:50 am

Idk but for what its worth I am pretty sure the autism diagnosis is accurate. But it does not explain my disorganization, losing everything I touch and zoning out on what people have to say(and having to pretend I heard them) and stuff like that. even teachers when I was a kid thought I had it, but my mom didn't look into it because she didn't believe in medicating kids or whatever.

But yeah I think I should look into it, because those problems even effect me at work, like I get all disorganized and I feel like I take longer than I should with my tasks and it's frustrating. But also I have a hard time dealing with frustration.

I certainly am just worried about being dismissed as a drug seeker, cause I am sure some people try and scam the system for adderall but I don't care about any of that...I just want to see if adhd treatment can help me function better I am past the days of just wanting to get high to forget about my problems so yeah not interested in abusing the meds at all just want to see if it helps. Plus I don't even like the idea of having to take a medication every day, that said I shouldn't be so apprehensive about it when I am fine to smoke weed every day but somehow I still am. But if the meds helped me function better maybe I would not feel the need to smoke weed as much as I do. Because I just do it to feel better, but if I functioned better maybe I would not need it to feel better so often. So yeah I am as of now trying to figure out somewhere to set up an appointment to get it looked into. But if it is the case than my mom certainly did me a disservice by not having it looked into when I was a kid.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 9:55 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Have you ever tried to...just not sleep?

Some folks only need a couple hours per day, and some even less. Both Napoleon, and Emperor Akbar the Great of India, only slept a couple of hours a day. And that part of how they got to be emperors. They got a lot of stuff done.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 1:14 pm

ADHD and ASD can have VERY VERY similar symptoms, my understanding is that they tend to have different reasons behind them.
I'm personally not sure if my stimming is because of my ADHD, or ASD, or both.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 1:16 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Have you ever tried to...just not sleep?

Some folks only need a couple hours per day, and some even less. Both Napoleon, and Emperor Akbar the Great of India, only slept a couple of hours a day. And that part of how they got to be emperors. They got a lot of stuff done.

I sleep about 3-4 hours a day, usually around 5-8 or 9 am.
To get there, I have to take my sedative around 2 or 3 am.
I don't get a lot done either way, because of ADHD and EF issues.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 8:00 pm

Does anyone have any insight to the differences between say....

ADHD stimming vs Autistic stimming

ADHD sensory processing issues vs Autistic sensory processing issues

?

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 10:24 pm

colliegrace wrote:
Does anyone have any insight to the differences between say....

ADHD stimming vs Autistic stimming

ADHD sensory processing issues vs Autistic sensory processing issues

?

Considering the overlap between people with ASD and ADHD, there might be no difference.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う