Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Mayspods
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2022, 12:43 pm

My dog isn't a service dog or anything, but I've trained her to do something that I'm unsure is a bad thing?

I've seen a post saying that tethering is bad, and though this has helped me I at least thought it was tethering.

Basically, my dog will guide me around objects and keep me on the sidewalk when I'm having visual processing issues. I'm not talking about like showing me where to go or anything (I've only trained her to do that to my car and to home) so I didn't think it was guiding, but she does, say, stop, then walk me around objects if I get too close and such like that. I've trained her to do this from a puppy, because it helps me out a LOT, but she's not a service dog and I don't think it's a task because people were saying tethering isn't a task. Or am I just confused on what tethering is? And if it's not tethering what is it?

Edit: I forgot to say, she is trained to guide me home or to my car if I need it.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2022, 9:08 pm

I'm not sure what tethering is either.

I'm glad you're able to train the dog to assist you! I train my dog to do things to help me as well. I know a few other people who also train their pets to help them out around the house, but the animals aren't full time service animals or the animals aren't as comfortable going out in public.

I don't think it really matters if what your dog does is tethering or not, as long as it's helping you and it doesn't hinder the dog.

Are you wanting to take the dog someplace pets aren't allowed?

You could train her to be a full service dog if you are both up to the task. I'd look for someone who is experienced in training service animals for guidance, because it's a big task for both the dog and owner.

Mayspods
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Dec 2022, 11:58 am

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
I'm not sure what tethering is either.

I'm glad you're able to train the dog to assist you! I train my dog to do things to help me as well. I know a few other people who also train their pets to help them out around the house, but the animals aren't full time service animals or the animals aren't as comfortable going out in public.

I don't think it really matters if what your dog does is tethering or not, as long as it's helping you and it doesn't hinder the dog.

Are you wanting to take the dog someplace pets aren't allowed?

You could train her to be a full service dog if you are both up to the task. I'd look for someone who is experienced in training service animals for guidance, because it's a big task for both the dog and owner.

Yeah, I've actually been talking to someone who trained their own service dog and they're giving me tips for public access training. I'm gonna try to train her to go out in public, but if not she can at least go places where dogs are allowed (there's lots of those around here!). But I'm really lucky to have her, and especially she seems just as determined as me to be able to pass public access training. She just tends to get distracted by her nose which is why I'm like welp if she doesn't pass she doesn't pass --at least she can go to the outdoor mall and such.