Can't listen to YouTube any more without bloody ads!

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2022, 8:28 pm

^
Yes a few folks can't get invidious.snopyta.org - don't know if it's down to the operating system, geographic region, browser, or what.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2022, 8:38 pm

Joe90 wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Radish wrote:
I didn't know there are ads on YouTube and I watch it or listen several hours a day, but then I use Firefox with an adblocker. I can't understand why folks don't just block ads instead of moaning about them. :shrug:

Because most people I know seem to have ads whenever they play a video on YouTube (and moan about them) so I assumed there's no easy fix to block the ads for free otherwise everyone would do it.

Quote:
Download the YouTube clip using something like 4K Video Downloader. When you play back the downloaded clip, it's ad-free!

That sounds a good idea. I do that with all my music. I have music player on my phone where I download from YouTube and put them on to music player, no ads and no fees and no internet needed (except when downloading but not when listening). That's why I say Spotify is for suckers.

I convert videos from Youtube to MP3 format, so I do the same as you if that is the method you are referring to?

Spotify is indeed for suckers. :D

Yes, that's what I do. :)
It's why I'm reluctant to get a phone upgrade even though I'm well overdue for one, because I fear the new phone might not support free music player. I know what these internet app companies are like, always wanting money out of you.

Yeah, micro-transactions on the internet are annoying. As if anyone has time for those!

Hummer
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Dec 2022, 10:09 am

There's multiple options for you

But first I would like to know what device you use other than Ur computers

Android.? Android tv?

How technology friendly you are

It's easy to get away from ads don't worry I'll guide you

Also what you already try

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 3:09 pm

I just use my iPhone.

I'm not very technology savvy.

I have the YouTube app but the ads have increased over time. Why can't there just be one ad at the beginning then maybe a couple of 10-second ads throughout the video? Why do some ads have to go on for several minutes unless you're attentive to the screen where you have to press skip?

Ads make me so angry that I feel like punching the people in them, all cheery and usually American, trying to encourage you to download something you don't want, like Grammarly. I don't even need Grammarly, I have my brain to work out how I write, so piss off! (Aimed at the ads, not anyone in this thread).

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 4:21 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I just use my iPhone.

I'm not very technology savvy.

I have the YouTube app but the ads have increased over time. Why can't there just be one ad at the beginning then maybe a couple of 10-second ads throughout the video? Why do some ads have to go on for several minutes unless you're attentive to the screen where you have to press skip?

Ads make me so angry that I feel like punching the people in them, all cheery and usually American, trying to encourage you to download something you don't want, like Grammarly. I don't even need Grammarly, I have my brain to work out how I write, so piss off! (Aimed at the ads, not anyone in this thread).

I've never used the YT app but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that it's a trap. I've heard a lot of complaints from people using the Facebook app. The great thing about using a browser instead of an app is that you can use browser plugins and other tricks to get rid of the unwanted rubbish. But with Netflix I have to use the app because in my case the browser can't stream Netflix fast enough, so the video glitches.

I feel much the same way as you on the rare occasions I do see ads. I did a search for examples of honest ads, and there was hardly anything. But there was this:

https://velocitypartners.com/blog/6-exa ... marketing/

It's the only time since I was about 20 years old that I've seen ads and haven't felt even annoyed. Two reasons for that:
1. They were honest.
2. Nobody pushed them on me, I had to find them myself.
Until all advertisers obey those 2 simple rules, all we can do is avoid them by hook or by crook. Like all wars, at best it's a shameful waste of time, but they started it, and there's a certain satisfaction in successfully fighting back.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 8:01 pm

Joe90 wrote:

I get an insane number of ads for Grammarly. I have no interest in using it, have never watched more than 5 seconds if I could help it, don't belong to their target audience of students, and have never clicked on the link. Yet roughly 1 in 4 ads YouTube shows me is for Grammarly!

It's almost reassuring that YouTube's targeted advertising is so bad. The eye in the sky has cataracts.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 12:45 am

Joe90 wrote:
Ads make me so angry that I feel like punching the people in them, all cheery and usually American,

:lol:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 12:47 am

Install "adblock ultimate" on Firefox - it stopped the ads for me.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 12:48 am

Extensions > Settings & Themes > then use the search bar at the top to find adblock ultimate. Install that and away you go!

Naked Atira
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2022, 4:57 am

I try to remember to download Youtube videos, but that is becoming more a challenge.
The addon I used to use rarely works, the same with sites that allow you to download it.

Google is trying to force people to pay a subscription. Greedy.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 5:59 am

I hate YouTube ads. I can be listening to a quite relaxing voice and suddenly bam, horrible noisy advert.

I've started listening to podcasts. I think Apple might have some ad free ones on their app, but I'm an android user. The ads are easy to skip because the host will say an ad is coming up and in 4 taps I'm past the ad. Often the ad is just them reading a script for a product at their regular voice so I can let it play without moving or having it wake me up.

What I hate is when I fall asleep during a podcast and their outro music blares at the end and Wales me up.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 9:30 am

hurtloam wrote:
I hate YouTube ads. I can be listening to a quite relaxing voice and suddenly bam, horrible noisy advert.

I've started listening to podcasts. I think Apple might have some ad free ones on their app, but I'm an android user. The ads are easy to skip because the host will say an ad is coming up and in 4 taps I'm past the ad. Often the ad is just them reading a script for a product at their regular voice so I can let it play without moving or having it wake me up.

What I hate is when I fall asleep during a podcast and their outro music blares at the end and Wales me up.

I think they do what TV channels have been doing for years: set the volume of the adverts louder than the volume of the actual programs. I don't have a TV now, but when I did the "mute" button on the remote control had the symbol worn off!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 1:02 pm

Naked Atira wrote:
I try to remember to download Youtube videos, but that is becoming more a challenge.
The addon I used to use rarely works, the same with sites that allow you to download it.

Google is trying to force people to pay a subscription. Greedy.

This "youtube mirror site" still has a working download button:
https://invidious.slipfox.xyz/

I've also got an add-on in Firefox called Flash Video Downloader that will download almost any video that can be played (and quite a few that can't). Unfortunately it seems to have vanished from the Web, so I can only use it on my current laptop unless I can find a way of transferring my existing installation to Firefox on other computers.

There's also YT-DLP.exe which is very good but it's command-line:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/yt-dlp

I see no reason why some clever boffin can't write a graphical user interface for it that can be used by non-nerdy people, but if there is one out there, it's not making itself easy to find. I've been reduced to writing my own script for a "mouse-recorder" utility (Mouse Recorder Pro), which works great for me but probably wouldn't work for anybody else. Why do these things have to be only for nerds?

MOONTRIPS
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2022, 10:27 pm

if I use my phone, I use YouTube via the Brave browser... no ads. but I rarely use my phone. options for desktop are much more varied

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2022, 11:33 pm

4K Video Downloader is a program you install on Windows. You need to update it when prompted, otherwise it becomes very slow or even stops working:

https://www.4kdownload.com/31

Easy YouTube Video Downloader is a browser extension that works well and is simple to use. Updates are installed automatically by the creator. This is the Firefox version, but I believe there's also one available for Chrome:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... -download/

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2022, 5:57 pm

Yeah, I hate them as well. :x