Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 5:41 am

I am so happy to say that Detectorists is coming back this Christmas for a movie length special episode! :santa: :rendeer:

This is because people kept contacting the writers to say what a comfort Detectorists was to them during lockdown.

Interview
‘People told us what a consolation it was’ – Toby Jones on the return of Detectorists

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... as-special

It is about a group of people whose hobby is metal detecting, and the artefacts they find, as well as the relationships between each other and their rival group of detectorists, and how their lives progress as the series continues.

I am always saying to non-English people: Detectorists shows what REAL English people are like. Unassuming, avoid confrontation, have gentle, strange hobbies, don't like showing off or conceitedness, we move slowly towards what we want. We aren't all posh/ all Cockneys/ all aggressive like English football fans.

It is a shame that recently we've seen the very ugly side of English people in politics and society. I wish we could go back to the mild-mannered days.

Highly recommended watching.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 8:55 am

I believe the TV programme was brought out because when the EU changed the laws regarding what one may find where it would in the past only involve the state if the item was of significent historic value, but when the EU changed the rules where anything of value found became owned by the state rather than the old way of an agreement between the landowner and the metal detectorists themselves, there was a very sudden significent drop in people who were engauged in the hobby and a sudden noticable drop in historic items being found. (Don't forget that official arceological digs never used to use metal detectors and I was told by one man who unofficially detected there discarded spoil heaps that a large portion of metalic historic items had been missed. (This man did approach the arceologists to show them how much they had missed (And gave them the articles he had found) and they tried to get him arrested rather than thanking him and they still refused to use metal detectors on their official digs! (It was another two decades and actually not that long ago that they finally conceeded and recognised the importance of using modern tools such as metal detectors as part of their work).
But unless the UK reverts back to the older regulations, the numbef of detector finds of significant historic value being officially declared is going to continue to be only a very small fraction of the actual significant historic finds being made. In the past under the old laws the government would compensate the detectorist and the land owner to the value of the find. Since the law was changed by the EU, the metal detectorists who were honest enough to declare their finds found their finds were taken from them and no one recieved any reward for their efforts! Which is the number one reason why the hobby declined and the number of declaired historic finds per year was significantly reduced as who would even wznt to officially declare what they found? Most including myself just left the hobby and our equipment ended up rusting away in damp sheds!
(I did not do it often but a friend of the family who was a very keen detectorist got me involved. He would approach land owners as I was too shy to do that, but he was quite a likable character. When he died I still occasionally used the detector in public places (Was allowed under the old laws as long as one was careful not to leave a noticable hole (We would be careful to cut the grass in such a way that after we removed the item, no one would notice we had been there. Was taught how to do this and was the difference between an ammature and a professional)).
I then lent my detector to a man who had lost his girlfriends ring on a beach.He did not find it, but he did not return my detector until three years later and he had kept it in a damp porch, so when I had it back, all its knobs and switches had ceased solid so it was useless!
Not to say I wanted to use it after the UK law changed.

It was sad the lawchanged because the metal detectorist society who were supposed to support and speak up on behalf of metal detectorists sold us out and were influencial in bring about the new rules, where many members left their organisation out of discust. (I wasn't a member but the man I used to go with was. He was older than my parents and took up metal detectoring after having to retire early due to ill health).

Isa real shame the EU messed things up as had been an enjoyable hobby as one never knew what one would find. I once found an instrument dial of a fighter jet when he had permission to search a past crash site. It turned out (From what I had heard) that the pilot had gone into a dive as part of his standard target practice but realized last minute that something had gone wrong so it was hit and miss while he ejected from the plane that he would survive. He did survive but from what I had heard, he then went to cross the railway line to get himself help but was hit and killed by a train.
I did not think much of a broken dial as I assumed we would find a whole crashed plane (Plane wreckage was removed not long after the incident) but the guy with me thought it was an amazing find!
He would tell me that most finds were found with budget detectors, and that he had tried very expensive detectors but found that the mid range ones were the most practical and the best to use, and taught me to only use the discriminate feature if I really had no choice as most ammature detectorists miss a lot of valuable finds because they set their detectors to only find "Valuable" metals.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 12:42 pm

What on earth are you talking about? It's a comedy/drama. Nothing to do with the EU.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 1:22 pm

KitLily wrote:
What on earth are you talking about? It's a comedy/drama. Nothing to do with the EU.

Talk about going off on a tangent! :D

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 8:09 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Yes, that was rather mind-boggling.

Anyway, as far as I could work out it meant that the EU said all treasure found in Britain should be the property of the British government or monarch. Instead of random people, who may not even be British, making dodgy deals and keeping treasure for themselves/taking it out of the country. That sounds like an improvement- taking back control, sovereignty etc. for Britain.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 7:02 pm

KitLily wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Yes, that was rather mind-boggling.

Anyway, as far as I could work out it meant that the EU said all treasure found in Britain should be the property of the British government or monarch. Instead of random people, who may not even be British, making dodgy deals and keeping treasure for themselves/taking it out of the country. That sounds like an improvement- taking back control, sovereignty etc. for Britain.

Yes, there are some upsides to having formally exited the EU, although the economy seems to have taken a distinct hit thus far & actually the country is probably worse off for the foreseeable future.

Maybe it'll be one of those things that yields better returns in the long run.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 9:36 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Yes, there are some upsides to having formally exited the EU, although the economy seems to have taken a distinct hit thus far & actually the country is probably worse off for the foreseeable future.

Maybe it'll be one of those things that yields better returns in the long run.

No I meant that the EU was doing Britain a favour by changing this law to ensure British treasure belongs to the British state.

But I suppose now we've left the EU, that law won't apply anymore, so British treasure will go back to belonging to anyone who finds it. Yay for Brexit! Not.