Butterfly

07 Dec 2022, 10:16 am

for those of you who remember them.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 10:21 am

They were a blur for me.
I was going to say "The best of times, the worst of times" but no they weren't the best.

I finished my degrees, bought a house, started my career, got married, got pregnant, got divorced, spent years in family court, adopted a child, dated some whack jobs including a homeless person, became an activist, and worked full-time as an autistic single parent.

I was too busy to pay attention to the music scene and didn't even know aboug Grunge when it was happening.
When I think 90s all I think of is corduroy skirts and good shoes (the wide high heels -- forget what they're called).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 10:23 am

I more miss the 60s and 70s.

The 90s were just "okay." In retrospect, it was probably "simpler" then----but, at the time, I felt like the world was becoming more cynical as time passed.

The 90s were the heyday of the VCR and Blockbuster and all that. And the Internet really took off later in the decade. Dial-up Internet wasn't all that inconvenient----except you couldn't make a phone call while you were online.

I guess people tend to be nostalgic for when they were kids.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 10:43 am

I miss the 90's simply because entertainment back then was, in my opinion, better than the crap we are subjected to today.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 12:15 pm

I miss the 90s only because the movies were better back than, especially the movies from the second half of that decade.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 11:02 pm

I'm more of an 80s kid. Being a kid in the 80s rocked. We had many of of the best video games, the best TV shows, the best movies and the best toys, and we could wander around without constant adult supervision. But all you ever hear about now is the 90s because gen x people don't matter. :(

In the late 80s and 90s animation made a big comeback. That was about the only good thing about it imo. Most of the insanity back then was just a warm-up to the garbage happening now. Also I was totally into troll dolls and couldn't understand why people thought Beanie Babies were going to be as valuable as some kinds of baseball cards.

I remember how they said you absolutely must not remove those little heart shaped tags attached to the Beanie Babies. Maybe because they contained some kind of mind-controlling chip that made people want to collect them? Never really worked on me, though. :)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 2:36 am

I miss the 90s, the 80s, the 70s, and the 60s mainly because I miss being younger psychically. Each decade had its good and bad points.

I really liked grunge/alt-rock. Blockbuster Nights meant I enjoyed the videos a bit more because I had to put in the effort to go out and get them. On the other hand, the quality of the picture was not only worse but sliced and diced to fit the 4 X 3 ratio screens of the era. By this time I was old enough that little was truly new to me, the new thing was a combination of old ideas I remembered.

The internet crude by today's standards was like a futuristic sci-fi movie come true. Discuss with people from anywhere in the world anything I wanted, get whatever information I wanted without leaving my desk!!

The worst part was a combination of gradually increasing Autistic burnout and career gradually declining as the work world became more about team players. 1997,1998,1999 was an era of economic boom and peace that would stand in stark contrast to what would come just a few years later. While seemingly everybody could get any job they wanted and get it fast I went a year and a half and just could not land a job. Everybody looked at me what is wrong with you, and no more than I looked at myself. I turned 40 in 1997. One's career is supposed to be peaking, not winding down. I still, remember looking at the newspaper at seeing that headline "Prosperity Wave". Ouch. And even alt-rock had degraded to meh Nu Metal.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Dec 2022, 2:43 am

1990s here were not exactly what they were in the West - it was a time of rapid transformation, poverty, crime, fear and hope for the future.

And bazaars, just like the one above. Most of them don't exist anymore.

It was fun to be a kid back then but when I review my childhood memories from an adult perspective, I don't envy my parents.
However, my parents don't envy me to have kids during another chapter of "interesting times", so I guess we're even.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 12:37 pm

I was a teenager/young adult in the 90s, when you supposedly are automatically able to know how to get a job, move out of your house, and completely live on your own even if nobody taught you the unwritten rules. I barely got through high school due to having really bad anxiety and bullying. College? Forget it. I was put in a home with about 10 other people who mostly had chronic schizophrenia when I was 21. Suddenly I had to share a bedroom and have my privacy constantly invaded and and eat, sleep, and do chores to a rigid schedule that I hated. I hated eating at a dinner table with so many people instead of alone. I hated how I would get sick with a cold or flu every other month because illness runs rampant when you have that many people in one house and the stress didn't help, either. The one thing that kept me going was that I was now living in the city instead of a rural area and had plenty of newfound freedom and independence.

And they were always moving people around. After about a year in the group home I was moved to a home with only two other residents so it wasn't as bad, but then I was in maybe seven different homes in the next four years. And then I'd be in a really part of the city where I'd have to try and get used to the new location and learn to find my way around all over again. when I complained about the constant changes they were like, "Life is full of changes get over it you're not special". Psychopaths are born, sociopaths are made. And that's how I was made a sociopath by the end of the 90s. :D

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Dec 2022, 1:23 pm

Great movies! Great new opportunities for the world, with rampant optimism that things in many countries were at last changing for the better - it wasn't long after the fall of the Berlin wall and the rejection of hardline Communism. The dismantling of apartheid in South Africa and the advent of the rainbow nation (years later came the disillusionment of corruption and crime); the rise of glasnost in the soon-to-be Russia which led to the Soviet Union being consigned to history - a long list of reasons to rejoice about.

In my own life too, came several changes such as getting super fit for ultra marathons as well as meeting my soulmate and realizing that pretending to be straight was living a lie.

It also seemed we were getting somewhere with creating an environment where we were in harmony with nature and could begin addressing the roots of man made climate change. Tolerance towards minorities was on the rise and yet we find that not much progress has been made, especially in certain countries.

Everything seemed fresh and new. We should all have been cryogenically sealed and only woken up now so it would last...

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

10 Dec 2022, 10:08 pm

Absolutely, for sure. I was a kid then, and even with my rough patches, it was a time when I didn't have to worry too much about the world, unlike today. I miss those days.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

alchemic_noise
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Dec 2022, 10:12 pm

Life seemed simpler then, maybe more organic and carefree.

Now everyone has a mental illness, is pissed about something or other, and politically the world is a f**k.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Dec 2022, 11:03 pm

It should be no surprise to you guys that I really miss the music of the 90s. Thou I was not exposed to some of it much till after I graduated high-school & got internet due to the radio stations in my area not playing some of it :( The music types I miss are :arrow:
EMO
Pop Punk
Ska
Grunge
Alternative Rock
Geek Rock
Boy Bands
Feminist Pop

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 2:59 am

Princess Diana :(

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Dec 2022, 3:22 am

I miss Bill Clinton being president. Bill did abuse his power to cheat on his wife but the country was in much better shape & it has not been nearly as good since.

I miss cartridge video-game systems like Super Nintendo & Nintendo 64. I could be playing the game less than two minutes after I pick up the cartridge. It takes 5 minutes when I turn the Xbox on for the system to load & for me to sign in to my profile. Then it takes another 5 minutes for the game to load before I can start playing. That is when there is no system or software updates & the game is already downloaded. & when I screw up in the game & want to reload my save, I have to wait another 5 minutes. I just hate waiting sometimes.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 6:03 am

I wouldn't say I miss them because my life is a lot better now, I wouldn't be a teenager for anything. I met one or two horrible people who had a big impact in ruining the 90s, but I miss the feeling of hopefulness the 90s had. I feel like we like in a time of doom and gloom and everyone is on a knife edge ready to take offence and argue.