Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 1:04 pm

I was actually pretty good at dodgeball because I was a short, fat kid.

bonzo_dog
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Dec 2022, 3:12 pm

Yes, that was me. But there is one case where I have firmly put the past behind me. I'd bet that I am in better physical shape now than the average person in my age group.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2022, 9:01 pm

Being one of the last few kids picked in PE class didn't bother me. It wasn't a subject that mattered to me or in my family. Why would I care that I was picked last?

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2022, 3:50 pm

Blue_Star wrote:
Being one of the last few kids picked in PE class didn't bother me. It wasn't a subject that mattered to me or in my family. Why would I care that I was picked last?

To a lot of kids, appearing normal is important.

An analogy: When you think of it, bedwetting isn't a huge deal. It's a medical condition some kids take longer to outgrow. But when you're a kid who wets the bed, you're embarrassed (and don't want anyone to find out)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 4:36 pm

i am glad i was not the only one. i was so inept in PE that nobody chose me, so i usually ended up in the office doing paperwork.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2022, 4:38 pm

I did understand it, but I cut out my explanation. I was just surprised that so many seemed to have cared so deeply about it. I didn't mind getting picked last for dodgeball (PE) because I was likely to be nearly first out every game. I much preferred reading on the sideline, so I'd purposely be an easy target.

I got picked mid-group when it mattered to me: recess. We played a lot of red rover. I got picked early when we made pairs or teams for academic games. This is taking into consideration all of k-12.

I knew about why kids cared; I just had different priorities.

SkinnyElephant wrote:
To a lot of kids, appearing normal is important.

An analogy: When you think of it, bedwetting isn't a huge deal. It's a medical condition some kids take longer to outgrow. But when you're a kid who wets the bed, you're embarrassed (and don't want anyone to find out)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2023, 7:03 am

This is one of the few things I couldn't relate as an autistic.

I usually get picked first...
Kids usually wants me in their team. Except I'm very disinterested in any "team work".
If I feel like playing or want to piss someone, I get to choose.

I did it to win, not to make friends or impress anyone.

Sure that made me felt wanted, then be in this weird hierarchical position with more autonomy and power than an average kid, but I still don't get it.

It just made me a bit wary of the possibility of people becoming dependent on me or wanting to use me.

I'd rather be accused of selfishness and arrogance, than ended up with an expectation and eventually a responsibility because the so-called norm 'valued' me enough and having to maintain 'status'. :roll:

A 'place' is still a 'place', no matter which level of the pyramid -- at the top or at the bottom of the totem pole, I'd rather be 'autonomous'.

Anyways.
I'm not a clumsy or a physically weak kid. Far from it even. But not to a point of being a sports savant or anything to that level.

I wasn't someone who practiced a lot to compensate either. I'm just someone reckless and knows who can afford to be reckless.
It might be why I chase bullies than the other way around.

And there's a point that I performed too well and consistently, that I literally can just choose to skip portions of the PE class and do whatever I want.

Lose more time here.

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2023, 6:42 pm

I was on bench, but I was disliked I guess.
I like soccer for sometime and was pretty decent for someone who did it just for fun.
I did not enjoy PE on any school really, its either boring and disorganized or just lame.
I like to run back then and that was fun.
I guess solitary sports are where autistic people can be truly themselves.
I liked to kick the ball alone too lol.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Jan 2023, 4:34 am

I was always picked last due to having various physical disabilities unrelated to autism on top of my autism causing me to be unpopular due to my $hitty social skills. I was also very scrawny. Sometimes the coach picked the team & I was not always picked which was perfectly fine with me. Even when I was picked, I just stood around doing nothing cuz I was unable to react in time.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition