Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 5:30 pm

Honestly, I'm disappointed by the lack of other colors besides red and blue. I think that's the best point that map makes.

Most people don't realize that you don't have to be one or the other.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 8:22 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Honestly, I'm disappointed by the lack of other colors besides red and blue. I think that's the best point that map makes.

Think we'd need something like rank-choice voting to fix that. Without that independents, greens, or whatever just end up getting yelled at by whatever party they have the most in common with that they're handing victory to the other party.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

09 Dec 2022, 7:33 am

r00tb33r wrote:

Unfortunately until we get rid of first past the post a two-party system is inevitable.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 9:22 am

I feel like this map helps me realize that if I step foot in Montana----that I won't be inevitably bombarded by MAGA types should I profess any sort of "liberal" belief.

Missoula, Montana, is actually considered a more "mellow" Portland. There are even buttons which say "Keep Missoula Weird."

Just like I won't be confronted with "rednecks who like NASCAR" should I feel like moving to Charlotte, North Carolina. I happen to like NASCAR, and auto racing in general. In actuality, Kannapolis, where Dale Earnhardt was born and raised, voted for Biden in 2020.