Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 8:09 am

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... n-map.html

I have found this very instructive.

It shows, most of the time, that within most metropolitan areas, people tend to vote Democratic, no matter if the state is a "blue" or "red" state. Fargo, North Dakota, in a state where the Republicans won by a 2 to 1 margin, primarily voted Democratic. Fargo is the largest city in North Dakota.

And there are places within "very blue" cities which are very "red," indeed. Within a locale, NYC, where Biden won by about a 2 to 1 margin, there are neighborhoods, primarily Hasidic Jewish, where Trump won by at least a 2 to 1 margin.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 08 Dec 2022, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 8:14 am

America is neither blue nor red, like Mitch McConnell's hands its several shades of purple. :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 8:17 am

I would say under present conditions, that if a metropolitan area has at least 200,000 people, the Democratic candidate will invariably win this area.

Biden won Pensacola---but he lost Pensacola Beach by a large margin.

Valdosta, Georgia, is Biden country. It is surrounded on all sides by Trump country, though.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2022, 8:31 am

The subject of what makes people fall on either side of the political spectrum, and the psychological and cultural differences between the two factions is fascinating to me. The Urban vs rural divide is fascinating and I really want to know what causes it. I appear to be living on the edge of a blue oasis.

Here is a webpage that shows the differences in occupations between Republicans and Democrats: Democratic vs. Republican occupations

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 8:36 am

^Indeed....that's fascinating.

In basic terms, I learned through this map (and through real life), that not everybody in a "red state" will be a Republican conservative.....and not everybody in a "blue state" will be a liberal Democrat. Judging the individual person is best in all instances.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2022, 8:41 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
^Indeed....that's fascinating.

In basic terms, I learned through this map (and through real life), that not everybody in a "red state" will be a Republican conservative.....and not everybody in a "blue state" will be a liberal Democrat. Judging the individual person is best in all instances.

Exactly. It really isn't about states, it's more about counties and cities. I also think there are differences between conservatives in blue areas and liberals in red areas. New York City republicans are not like Texas republicans, New York republicans tend to be a bit more "liberal" I think. More likely to have gay friends, etc.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 8:49 am

There was a guy here who kept on saying that he lives in the "Bible Belt," and that everybody in his town is a "redneck."

I looked up the city where this guy said he lives-----it turns out that Biden won that city.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 8:57 am

There are times, though, where NYC Republicans are reactionary----in the sense that they are "super conservatives" who epitomize all the conservative stereotypes, and has to let everybody know that he/she is a conservative. Almost like a "nouveau riche" person has to let everybody know that he/she is rich.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 08 Dec 2022, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 8:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There was a guy here who kept on saying that he lives in the "Bible Belt," and that everybody in his town is a "redneck."

I looked up the city where this guy said he lives-----it turns out that Biden won that city.

I myself live in one of those redneck towns in the 'Bible Belt' here in Georgia, but it's also a very mixed town not to mention a prospering town that's steady growing and expanding unlike the decaying small towns surrounding us.

Honestly I don't know if Biden officially won my town or not, but I do know there are still a LOT of Trump supporters here who still refuse to remove their Trump 2020 signs from their yards and drive around with MAGA bumperstickers.

I feel like many years from now that Trump 2020 sign will be just like the taboo Confederate flags that some southerners are always displaying in their yards. :lol:

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 9:59 am

Not sure if they were trying to make a point by leaving my state completely blank.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2022, 10:02 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Not sure if they were trying to make a point by leaving my state completely blank.

That is weird. Some of the states are blank.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 10:25 am

Yep. Virginia, Missouri (except the KC and St Louis areas), Alaska, Kentucky, parts of other states.

Maybe something to do with “confidentiality” or something?

89% of counties have results, though.

Even many pretty small towns and cities are blue, and surrounded by red.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 08 Dec 2022, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 11:26 am

Must be "incomplete data". Why some states are blank.

Interesting.

Some random observations.

There is a big chunk of blue in the north of Arizona, and in northwest New Mexico. And that region coincides with the borders of the Navajo Reservation (as big as Pennsylvania), and the smaller reservations surrounded by the Navajo (like the Hopi, and Zuni).

Austin Texas is notorious for breaking with Texas conservatism, but on that map Houston and San Antonio are also blue specks in the sea of read. And much of the vast hinterland north of the rio grande in Texas is white/blue...which coincides with the large Hispanic population near the Mexican border.

Maine is red while the rest of New England leans blue.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 11:51 am

Regions that are majority Native Americans are invariably blue.

Houston, Texas, is a gigantic sea of blue, actually.

A consistent phenomenon is a self-contained region of blue, representing small to medium size cities in both "red" and "blue" states, which are surrounded by vast tracts of red (which are small rural towns, away from the metro areas). These rural seas of red are within both "blue" and "red" states.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 12:27 pm

If I were to go purely by this electoral map, and I was of liberal bent, I would conclude that I would be much more comfortable in Missoula, Montana than in Staten Island, New York.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 2:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would say under present conditions, that if a metropolitan area has at least 200,000 people, the Democratic candidate will invariably win this area.

Biden won Pensacola---but he lost Pensacola Beach by a large margin.

Valdosta, Georgia, is Biden country. It is surrounded on all sides by Trump country, though.

Considering That i Live in the 'Pensacola Metropolitan Area,' It's Worth Noting That While the
City Limits of Pensacola Has Around 52K Folks And Votes Majority Democrat, The Actual

Metropolitan Area of Pensacola of Which The Small Town i Live in is Part of, Consists

Of Over 500K Folks That in Whole Most Definitely Goes For Republicans, Overall.

The So-Called "Greater Pensacola Area" Actually Reaches Orange Beach Alabama

And Is Closer to Around 600,000 Folks; Yet In Either Case, Overall, Republicans are Most Definitely the Winners.

The Actual Town i Live in As Part of the Pensacola Metropolitan Area, Goes For Republicans at Over 70 Percent;

Yet it is Correct to Say that the City Limits of Pensacola Votes For Democrats, By Majority Votes Overall;

Yet That is a Tiny Part For what The Overall Pensacola Metropolitan Area Consists of Geographically

And Demographically...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pensacola_metropolitan_area

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/republicans-democrats-cities/

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick