How do you stop garlic lingering on breath

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2022, 11:11 am

I like to add garlic to meals as I heard it's good for the immune system (I despise getting colds). But I get self-conscious about my breath smelling.
When I've eaten garlic I always clean my teeth carefully with an electric toothbrush, and I even floss and clean my tongue too, basically I give my whole mouth a fresh clean. But one time when I'd just given my mouth a good clean I was talking to my boyfriend and he said he could still smell the garlic on my breath even though I could no longer taste it.

Are there any tips you know of that could prevent garlic from lingering on my breath?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 12:18 pm

You might find some help here:

https://www.breathmd.com/garlic-breath.php

But it might not be that easy to fix. It's a shame because it's supposed to be very good for you and it's very tasty.

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2023, 5:43 pm

Garlic breath keeps vampires away.

Its best social tool. :jester:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 5:46 pm

apple cider vinegar

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 5:52 pm

Highlander852456 wrote:

:wtg:

Quite frankly, if you don't like my garlic breath go elsewhere.

I feel I was taught to never mention any other person's body odours, as to do so was rude.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 7:12 pm

Looks like the most effective and reliable thing to do is to get your body to metabolize it out of your system faster,
or at least never swallow any garlic.

https://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(99)70416-6/fulltext

Quote:
Furthermore, aggressive oral hygiene did not prevent the expulsion of allyl methyl sulfide in the breath of individuals who swallowed the garlic.

This contrasts with several studies in the literature reporting that inhibition of production of volatile sulfur-containing gases with oxidizing gums and washes and aggressive teeth brushing and scraping of the tongue eliminates breath malodor resulting from oral sources (Acta Ondontol Scand 1997;55:198-200, J Periodontol 1997;68:1176-1181, J Periodontal Res 1992;27:233-238).

These findings provide a logical elucidation of the nearly universal experience that no matter how much you brush, floss, gargle, and spit, that garlic bouquet just won't quit.

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2023, 8:01 pm

Recidivist wrote:
Highlander852456 wrote:

:wtg:

Quite frankly, if you don't like my garlic breath go elsewhere.

I feel I was taught to never mention any other person's body odours, as to do so was rude.

Garlic breath is superior to anykind of other breath in my opinion, except chew gum breath which is sometimes still better.

But I like smell of natural garlic.
I also like smell of onion.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 1:49 pm

Chew parsley like chewing gum. Trust me, I'm from the Mediterranean. :wink:

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 3:12 pm

^ the parsley works, the flat leaf kind.

Alternatively, you could buy odourless garlic capsules if you're just doing it for the health benefits and not the amazing flavour that garlic imparts.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Jan 2023, 4:27 am

Raleigh wrote:
Alternatively, you could buy odourless garlic capsules if you're just doing it for the health benefits and not the amazing flavour that garlic imparts.
I was gonna suggest garlic supplements. There's a garlic supplement that's been advertised a bit in the US in the last few years called Garlique. They advertised it as helping lower cholesterol. I took it for a while to lower my cholesterol but IDK if it made much of a difference with my blood work. My eating habits, physical activity(or rather lack of), & other meds I'm on were probably much bigger factors. I saw Garlique in the store a while back & noticed that the box said it helps blood-pressure & it didn't mention cholesterol. The boxes I bought said cholesterol. IDK if newer research changed garlic's top health benefit or what :shrug:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition