Some say that overturning laws that allow abortion.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2022, 7:17 pm

Some say that overturning laws that allow abortion will lead to overturning laws that allow same sex marriage.

Others say that allowing abortion will lead to allowing human euthanasia and suicide booths.

Who is right if anyone?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 8:14 pm

What's wrong with euthanasia?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 8:16 pm

In truth, I don't believe in euthanasia unless one has an incurable illness, and is in a massive amount of pain.

17-year-old kids who want to "end it all" after breaking up with a boyfriend/girlfriend do not qualify for euthanasia, in my book.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 8:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In truth, I don't believe in euthanasia unless one has an incurable illness, and is in a massive amount of pain.

17-year-old kids who want to "end it all" after breaking up with a boyfriend/girlfriend do not qualify for euthanasia, in my book.

They don't qualify for euthanasia in anyone's book. ^

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 8:24 pm

There are people who believe in the "right to die" under all circumstances.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 1:19 am

People can believe in whatever they want.
Euthanasia is highly regulated.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 5:15 am

Of course, people can “believe in what they want to believe.” I’m pretty Laissez Faire.

But it’s a waste for young people to want to die. There’s so much potential in them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 3:43 pm

I'm against any abortion, I doubt that same sex marriages will be outlawed because it doesn't kill people. I'm against euthanasia and assisted suicide because I have a vision of entitled people bringing their disabled relative into the doctor's office and saying, "Give them the needle. I don't want this R-word in my life, anymore!"

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 4:47 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm against any abortion, I doubt that same sex marriages will be outlawed because it doesn't kill people. I'm against euthanasia and assisted suicide because I have a vision of entitled people bringing their disabled relative into the doctor's office and saying, "Give them the needle. I don't want this R-word in my life, anymore!"

Even if continuing the pregnancy would kill the mother?

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2022, 7:26 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

If a doctor were to perform euthanasia on someone for being disabled that would be murder. Being disabled wouldn't qualify someone for euthanasia. Having an incurable terminal illness and being in chronic pain would. Also the person themself has to consent to the euthanasia. Someone else cannot just take them in and say they want them euthanized.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Dec 2022, 7:49 pm

I believe that abortions would majorly decline if people had easier access to birth-control & sex education that focused on teaching people about various birth-control options. It seems to me like a lot of the people who are anti abortion are also anti birth-control & they are also against programs that help poor & starving families. There would be less people needing public assistance if people who were not really wanting kids had access to birth-control or abortion. Why the f#ck would would we force people to have kids & then deny them the basic resources to raise those kids :evil: :wall:

kraftiekortie wrote:
There are people who believe in the "right to die" under all circumstances.
I really agree with what Wendy O Williams the singer of the punk band The Plasmatics wrote in her suicide note :arrow:

Quote:
I don't believe that people should take their own lives without deep and thoughtful reflection over a considerable period of time. I do believe strongly, however, that the right to do so is one of the most fundamental rights that anyone in a free society should have. For me, much of the world makes no sense, but my feelings about what I am doing ring loud and clear to an inner ear and a place where there is no self, only calm.

It really sux that people feel a need to kill themselves. It would majorly help if people had better access to quality health care, especially mental health care. In addition to a better social support system.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 5:42 pm

All could be true, or not, who cares ?

Live and let live and allow people do do as they please when it's not harming you one bit.

We have access to abortions, gay marriage, and medically assisted suicide for terminally ill/senior citizens who choose it/those in debilitating chronic pain with no chance of any quality of life etc.

We don't have suicide booths, but there are still plenty of suicides by able bodied people with broken minds - not really something you can legislate out of existence. But still, we don't have suicide booths/pods etc like in an episode of Futurama or that one real world design I saw an article about some engineer creating. Not sure how I'd feel about them existing irl and making that process quick, easy, and painless tbh.. as I feel for most it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem and we shouldn't make it so easy to make such a mistake that some believe has ramifications in the afterlife/repeat cycle of birth & death.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 7:56 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
What's wrong with euthanasia?

Overturning the old thinking about suicide may have unintended consequences. Once it becomes a Good and Morally Acceptable way to end suffering and often The Honorable Thing to Do for anyone struggling so as not to be a burden on others, it will put undue pressure on everyone in bad circumstances.

I don't think there's a middle ground to be found. Either (assisted) suicide is always wrong thing to do or you end up with nonsense like this happening on a daily basis while everyone pats the poor bullycide victim on the head for being so selfless.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 8:09 pm

I agree there are consequences. The Canadian government is pushing military vets and other people with incurable trauma or mental illness to end it all and save the taxpayers some money. That's horrifying, but I still think self-determined euthanasia should be permitted when there's informed consent and no pressure from the feds.