Autistic alledges Nick Carter raped her in 2001

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 6:14 am

Backstreet Boys' Nick Carter accused of raping a 17-year-old on a tour bus in 2001

Quote:
Backstreet Boys member Nick Carter has been accused of raping a 17-year-old girl. 

A woman named Shannon "Shay" Ruth filed a lawsuit against the singer on Thursday, alleging the incident occurred in 2001 on a tour bus in Tacoma, Washington.

Ruth, who is now 39, filed the lawsuit in Las Vegas where Carter lives, according to a press release from her lawyers from Corsiglia, McMahon & Allard law firm. 

Ruth is on the autism spectrum and has a mild case of cerebral palsy. She alleges she was on an autograph line when Carter, now 42, invited her onto his tour bus. He allegedly gave her a drink that tasted "funny," calling it "VIP juice." Ruth alleges he then took her to the bathroom, where he forced her to perform sexual acts. 

Ruth also alleged Carter used a slur against her and that he told her not to tell anyone. She said the alleged incident lead her to commit acts of self harm. She also believes he transmitted HPV – a sexually transmitted virus that could cause cancer – to her. 

"My main reason I'm here today is I want to stop Nick Carter from doing this to somebody else," she said in a statement. 

In a statement to CBS News, Carter's attorney, Michael Holtz, said the "claim about an incident that supposedly took place more than 20 years ago is not only legally meritless but also entirely untrue." 

"Unfortunately, for several years now, Ms. Ruth has been manipulated into making false allegations about Nick – and those allegations have changed repeatedly and materially over time," Holtz continued. "No one should be fooled by a press stunt orchestrated by an opportunistic lawyer – there is nothing to this claim whatsoever, which we have no doubt the courts will quickly realize."

Variety reported that ABC pulled a Backstreet Boys holiday special that was set to air on Dec. 14 due to the accusations against Carter. CBS News confirmed that "A Very Backstreet Holiday" special has been canceled. 

Ruth's attorneys say in their investigation of Carter, they have found other victims who allege Carter abused them, too.

Speculation:
Based on Carter's lawyers' statement I envision his lawyer using her Autism as the reason she was "manipulated". If that does happen I will request this thread be moved to PPR. But for now, it is a #MeToo story.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 7:14 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Speculation:
Based on Carter's lawyers' statement I envision his lawyer using her Autism as the reason she was "manipulated". If that does happen I will request this thread be moved to PPR. But for now, it is a #MeToo story.

How can that be a valid defence?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 8:00 pm

Jono wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Speculation:

Defense lawyers want to discredit the accuser. In this case the lawyer wants to convince a future jury that Shannon was manipulated. It is believed because of lack of reading non verbal, not picking euphemisms etc that autistics are more easily manipulated then the general public. This is often discussed on this site. I expect the lawyer to use Shannon’s autism as circumstantial evidence that she was manipulated.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 3:17 pm

Is Nick Carter protected by the Statute of limitations? that worked for Bill Cosby and Brett Kavanaugh

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 3:01 am

This is STUPID! Nick Carter did not do this. The woman is lying, she keeps changing her story.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 3:05 am

Jono wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Speculation:

It's very tricky. Autism plays out differently in everyone. It could be the worst defense ever or could actually have some merit depending on the interaction.

It seems common for autistics to say yes to everything out of trying to avoid confrontation, myself included.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 10:29 am

cyberdad wrote:
Is Nick Carter protected by the Statute of limitations? that worked for Bill Cosby and Brett Kavanaugh

I don’t know, it depends on the jurisdictions. Some jurisdictions have been extending the statue of limitations for sexual abuse cases.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 12:30 pm

Nick Carter countersues sexual assault accusers, alleges 'conspiracy' against him

Quote:
Backstreet Boys singer Nick Carter has countersued Shannon Ruth, the woman who accused him of rape and sexual abuse in December, and others who accused him of sexual assault.

In addition to countersuing Ruth, Carter named Melissa Schuman, of the former girl group Dream, and Schuman's father Jerome Schuman for what he alleged was the "culmination of an approximate five-year conspiracy ... to harass, defame and extort" him. Schuman accused Carter of rape in November 2017, alleging the assault happened in 2003, all allegations Carter has continually denied.

The counterclaim, filed Feb. 2 and obtained by ABC News, states that Schuman and her father Jerome "groomed and coached Ruth" and persuaded her to "inflate her initial claim of being abused at the hands of a third-party, to being physically abused at the specific hands of Carter, and, finally, to being sexually assaulted by Carter."

The countersuit also claims that Carter's encounter with Schuman was consensual, that there were significant inconsistencies in multiple statements Ruth has made about their alleged meeting, and that following Schuman and Ruth's previous allegations of assault, "thorough and independent investigations were conducted into both cases -- and both resulted in no charges being filed against Carter."

The Los Angeles District Attorney's Office stated in September 2018 that prosecutors would not be pressing sexual assault charges against Carter because the statute of limitations had expired in 2013.

An anonymous Twitter account is also named as a counter-defendant in the suit. The suit states the owner of the account is believed to be one of the three other counter-defendants who created the account "for the purpose of laundering their defamatory narratives." The suit says that the countersuit will be amended to add the owner of the account "should the owner prove not to be Schuman, Jerome and/or Ruth."

Carter is seeking "damages in an amount of no less than $2,350,000" due to the "cancellation" of various Backstreet Boys events and deals after Ruth sued him in December, including an appearance on "Good Morning America" and ABC's "A Very Backstreet Holiday" Christmas special, as well as other "contracts and/or endorsement deals" with companies like "MeUndies, VRBO and Roblox." He is also seeking emotional distress damages, punitive damages, attorney fees, costs of suit, pre- and post-judgment interest and "other and further relief as the Court deems just and proper."

The counterclaim describes the counter-defendants as "opportunists" who "disgracefully attempted to exploit the #MeToo movement."

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 2:15 am

Her story sounds convincing
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/20700698/ ... shay-ruth/

But given Nick Carter could have had sex with any number of thousands of women, why would he force himself on an autistic girl with cerebral palsy?? that doesn't make sense...

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 2:10 am

cyberdad wrote:

But given Nick Carter could have had sex with any number of thousands of women, why would he force himself on an autistic girl with cerebral palsy?? that doesn't make sense...

She wants money or her parents wants money, I read this on Facebook, if is parents, they using their daughter autism. Nick Carter is the suing the woman now.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 3:18 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

She wants money or her parents wants money, I read this on Facebook, if is parents, they using their daughter autism. Nick Carter is the suing the woman now.

If that's true then that is really sad. She's also giving both the cerebral palsy/autism communities respectively a bad name.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 1:10 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

If that's true then that is really sad. She's also giving both the cerebral palsy/autism communities respectively a bad name.

Or it could be she is telling the truth. It is a trait that autistics can be easily manipulated and that should be kept in mind but we should try and avoid assuming that an autistic alleging rape is wrong.

Why would a celebrity who can receive sex from anybody force themselves on people? Exactly because so many are willing to have sex with them. They feel entitled thus any refusal deserves to be punished or he “just feels” like when he does it she will like it, or she is is playing a game saying no when means yes. If he did it, for the same reasons he might be suing her anyway. He with the high end legal team just expects to win the case.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 3:35 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Why would a celebrity who can receive sex from anybody force themselves on people? Exactly because so many are willing to have sex with them. They feel entitled thus any refusal deserves to be punished or he “just feels” like when he does it she will like it

It's a dangerous game either way. I still can't imagine why Nick Carter would do this, unless he is depraved. But I also find it hard to believe a young woman would voluntarily seek attention/money this way?

This is starting to remind me of the accusers against Michael Jackson. It's tricky to believe either party.