Hate it sometimes when younger people mock older people

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 3:54 pm

I don't know why but when I looked at comments criticises the current appearance of singer Madonna, it did kind of irritate me a bit as I seem to think some people can choose to be ageist and nasty because they can get away it because they won't have to worry about having knock on the door in the middle of night unlike what you might get in some authoritarian societies. I still was surprised on how Madonna looks now and worried they she might going a bit far on her physical appearance but I chose not to express how I felt online as I sometimes feel its best to keep it to myself. I find it quite irritating and patronising when some younger people are the ones telling some older people to ''grow old gracefully'' and ''act your age'' etc.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2023, 6:39 pm

Generally, I don't think this is good behavior either.

However, there are cases in which "act your age" could be an appropriate thing to say, for example, if someone 30 years old still believed in Santa Claus, or was literally acting like a child, then "act your age" would be appropriate in that case.

And let's not forget that older people can mock and be judgmental of younger people as well, just look at all those "Millennials are Ruining X" articles.

techlife95
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2023, 9:35 pm

yeah I talk about age discrimination and caring to be mature in my thread. I also talk about people having free will in life when everything's always been old school. Free will is good and bad obviously. People have free will to be mature or not be mature. Or be mature and immature at the same time like myself. People have free will to be age discriminating. I am obviously not age discriminating as I discuss in my thread.

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=410854

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 12:40 am

It's problematic, but I get it. Think of how long millennials were the punching bag of older folks.

Ironically, half of the s**t they complain about is their fault in the first place. Who was handing out the participation trophies that are such a problem now? I'll give you a hint, the kids didn't buy them for themselves. They blame us for their own failures as parents.

They won't sacrifice their lives for their boss because we often watched our folks prioritize work over family our entire childhoods, at least until they divorced and we got to deal with that drama.

They're killing X industry because it has no interest in appealing to us or because we can't afford it or because there's better options. Boo-fuckin-hoo.

So really, I might not like when older folks catch flak as an entire demographic, but I can understand why people are starting to fire back at them. If they'd like to be respected they gotta behave respectably.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 11:05 am

funeralxempire wrote:
It's problematic, but I get it. Think of how long millennials were the punching bag of older folks.

Stop whining. Gen Z has caught way more crap, plenty of it from your generation.

funeralxempire wrote:
If they'd like to be respected they gotta behave respectably.

You were saying.

Seriously, ageism is one of the last acceptable prejudices and it is not ending anytime soon.
Younger people can never really understand how what seems obvious to them seems radical and disconcerting to older people. Older people literally can not truly understand what it is like to grow up now. And when they do compare experiences it is often false equivalency due to the normal human trait of only remembering the good parts of their youth.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 12:14 pm

For as long as I can remember, turning 30 is a fate worse than death. Every birthday card makes it sound horrible. I used to hear that happiness began at 40, but the birthday cards and decorations were all black or shaped like gravestones. But recently I've noticed most of the cards for people 50 and older are a lot nicer. Strange.

I'm almost 49 and I feel more like an alien that was dropped on this planet than ever. I want to yell at the sky for the UFO to bring me back up, there's no intelligent life down here (except people on WP).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 1:27 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Stop whining. Gen Z has caught way more crap, plenty of it from your generation.

Really? I haven't seen too much of that in any online spaces. Can you cite something supporting this?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Princess Viola
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2023, 6:03 pm

The worst I've seen us millennials give Gen Z is good-natured ribbing back and forth on social media.

We're not going out writing articles complaining about how 'GEN Z IS KILLING THESE INDUSTRIES' or acting like they're entitled brats or whatever.

techlife95
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2023, 6:46 pm

Princess Viola wrote:
The worst I've seen us millennials give Gen Z is good-natured ribbing back and forth on social media.

We're not going out writing articles complaining about how 'GEN Z IS KILLING THESE INDUSTRIES' or acting like they're entitled brats or whatever.

I was born in 1995 and some say 1995 1996 is gen z and some say it's millennials. Anyway i don't care what people say about it. I understand humans evolve and that's why we have these generation names but what I am saying simply is that everything's always been old school as I talk about in my thread. The idea of generations or evolving is old school. The human species is old school. The generation that was born when computers or digital stuff were 1st invented in world war 2 is called the silent generation.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 7:41 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Really? I haven't seen too much of that in any online spaces. Can you cite something supporting this?

Millennials Get Asked What Confuses Them About Gen Z, And Here’re 30 Of Their Answers

Mostly it is just either videos bashing Gen Z or a video about another subject where a snide remark about Gen Z is thrown in from people who look like they belong to the Millennial demographic. I don't check people's ages. I would assume people who have active Youtube channels skew younger after all many of us ok boomers are still confused about why there is no mouse for our phones. :)

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 10:12 pm

Today I saw a birthday card that said "Too old for TikTok, Too Young For The Retirement Home", and inside it said "Which is the best age to be."

I guess they're right. Especially since I cannot stand TiKTok. :twisted:

techlife95
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2023, 10:38 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Today I saw a birthday card that said "Too old for TikTok, Too Young For The Retirement Home", and inside it said "Which is the best age to be."

I guess they're right. Especially since I cannot stand TiKTok. :twisted:

digital or computer stuff is meant for any age. But digital or computerized stuff is old school as I discuss in my thread.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2023, 11:13 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Millennials Get Asked What Confuses Them About Gen Z, And Here’re 30 Of Their Answers

Mostly it is just either videos bashing Gen Z or a video about another subject where a snide remark about Gen Z is thrown in from people who look like they belong to the Millennial demographic. I don't check people's ages. I would assume people who have active Youtube channels skew younger after all many of us ok boomers are still confused about why there is no mouse for our phones. :)

Ah, I've seen that, but it tends to come off as good-natured.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 2:05 am

funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Ah, I've seen that, but it tends to come off as good-natured.

I have enough trouble "reading" people I know offline, you expect me to know intentions from some YouTuber I have never met?