Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 4:52 pm

I am on the highly curious /inquisitive side of life, always asking why, how, who, where, when, what??????
I guess I have annoyed people all my life with questions.
I have been amazed at the lack of curiosity that many others I encounter seem to have.
Are you on the curious/inquisitive/ questioning side too?

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Yakuzamonroe
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2022, 5:11 pm

autisticelders wrote:
I am on the highly curious /inquisitive side of life, always asking why, how, who, where, when, what??????
I have been amazed at the lack of curiosity that many others I encounter seem to have.

Are you kidding? Wonder and curiosity have been a part of my psyche for my entire life. I will always be that way.

Every day I have to learn something new or, at the very least, entertain a thought or idea I've never had before. And I don't think it will stop.

Honestly it should be treated more as a gift than anything else.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 6:19 pm

Oh yes. On the rare occasions that nothing aroused my curiosity I took it as a warning that I may be sinking into depression. But I've never been in such low spirits for long. Only the other day I noticed somebody had quoted somebody here and a typo had slipped in. I've been wondering ever since how that could have happened. I mean, normally to quote somebody you just press the Quote button and there it is, no typing necessary. Did somebody do it the long way round and type in the quote by hand? If so, why? Of course it doesn't matter for any practical purpose, but for some reason it matters to my brain.

It annoys me that other people so rarely share my sense of curiosity. I probably annoy them when I waste their time by asking questions they see no point in asking. My father was normally very patient with my questions, and usually enjoyed offering answers, but even he got tired of it from time to time. Others have mistakenly thought that I was siding with somebody or some ideology they disliked, and arguing in its favour. I guess they just don't understand curiosity.

LeafyGenes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2022, 3:38 pm

Yes I am. I rejected others (inwardly) as irrelevant for a long time until one day I realised chit chat is a valuable source of local information. In the area where I live, local information isn't on the internet.

However my cousin's wife asked questions without letup as a conversational gambit, it got bewildering, so I try not to let it go that far. I try to disclose as well.

My mother was extremely un-curious about me and it took a very very long time for me to spot that this why I felt so unloved. That is another reason why I realise the importance of asking questions or just waiting and looking interested.

"From there to there, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!" Dr Suess, One Fish, Two Fish

LeafyGenes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2022, 3:42 pm

@toughdiamond re your quote observation, do you think the person chose quote and then accidentally deleted part of it and tried to retype it? I get intrigued by this kind of thing too.

"From there to there, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!" Dr Suess, One Fish, Two Fish

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 4:53 pm

LeafyGenes wrote:
@toughdiamond re your quote observation, do you think the person chose quote and then accidentally deleted part of it and tried to retype it? I get intrigued by this kind of thing too.

Well done, I think you've very likely solved the mystery. It was only one character right at the beginning, but it altered "get more money" to "bet more money," which made quite a difference. I asked about it on the thread itself, but had no reply. I always worry slightly when I ask questions about mistakes people have made, because many people seem to dislike their mistakes being highlighted, though I don't mind when it's me, which probably explains why I so often ask "rude" questions.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 9:02 am

Short answer is YES. That is how I learn. Many people can get annoyed when you ask a question. It is because they themselves do not know the answer. Or they feel you are challenging their knowledge or the information they are passing onto others. But It allows me to learn. Questions are good things. If you combine all the answers together it allows you to look at the problem from many different angles and then you can chose the best approach, the best solution.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 5:57 am

yes, information seeking and sharing has always been my "social mode" but it doesn't work well in a lot of circles. I suspected you guys would give me the answers you did. If my autism has any gifts attached it is the curiosity thing. I am happy once again and reassured to find that here, I am not alone <3 Thank you all!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 8:31 am

Yes.
And it can border into nosiness.

I do have a lot of questions but..
People wouldn't understand. Or, cannot answer. Or, it's not appropriate -- whether I know if it is or not.

Or, it's in NT-vocab wording that I have to translate manually that they mean well and not judging me as if me being wrong meant I'm a defect, instead a still learning human. :roll: Their culture. Their world.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2022, 8:45 am

autisticelders wrote:

Me too, whenever I'm out somewhere I'm always wondering about random things that catch my eye or pop into my head and vocalize it. It could be the silliest thing, like looking at a ketchup bottle at a restaurant. "Who came up with the idea of ketchup? You know I heard it used to be a luxury only the rich could enjoy, now it has the opposite reputation, I wonder how the stereotype of Americans eating ketchup got started, how do you think this was made? I wonder if I could make my own ketchup. What are the 57 varieties they're referring to?" etc.

This kind of thing usually doesn't go over well, not because other people don't wonder about stuff like that (I refuse to believe other people don't wonder about things) I think because it's "off topic" and from the perspective of people I'm with they feel like it came out of nowhere. They usually say things, like "where'd THAT come from" (I was looking at the ketchup bottle, etc). But if that's the case when AM I allowed to talk about stuff like that? Most people don't seem interested in trivia or pontification about random things they'd rather talk about what happened during their day or how good the food is or how something was on sale... it has to be relevant to them specifically I guess?

Even when talking about something like politics, no one wants to talk theory, it seems like people are more interested in how they are specifically affected or their own personal experiences ("politician X was elected and my taxes went up!", etc)

EDIT: Another thing I forgot to mention, there seems to be an attitude among most people that you need to have a reason to want to learn about something. I spent years studying Japanese and Linguistics and the number one response people had was to ask why I was doing it, do I have a girlfriend or want a Japanese girlfriend, do I want a job translating in Japan, etc. Now I'm trying to learn programming again and everyone assumed I want a job as a programmer. Those things are perks I guess and it's not like I've considered them but why can't curiosity or hobby be a motive by itself?

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 9:51 am

As a scientist, I have always had a constant drive to find out about different topics. It led me to take things apart and “Frankenstein” them together as a kid. Some of the things that I created were quite dangerous to others. I played with various poisons and explosives as a child, so chemistry is natural for me.

I spend many of my down hours trying to solve quantum mechanical puzzles on how particles are formed. Most people would not waste their time pondering over the questions that I research. My work in this area has given me a unique insight on how the universe works, at both big and small levels. If you ask an average person what causes charge in particles, the common reply is “Who cares?. That would be me that they are referring to.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 10:02 am

I am curious about things which other people don't feel I should be curious about.

I could care less about things that other people are curious about.

LeafyGenes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2022, 2:57 pm

usagibryan I hear you but I think part of the problem is that others actually do have this curiosity and we are not giving them room, because talking comes so much easier, to some of us, than listening. Any conversation and any relationship has to have give and take. I have also learned, from being on the receiving end, that intensity is a real conversation and relationship killer. We get "on a mission" and it's much harder then to really listen to what they say, which may appear to completely derail our own train of thought, but that is how conversations work.

Let's get totally new ideas, and totally new kinds of ideas, not just from our special (momentary)interests, but also from the living people around us.

Do we have a psychological "pause" and "reverse" or can we only charge forward? It's a form of bullying if so.

To be honest, it's the seemingly lifelong cutoff from other human beings that drives my intensity.

usagibryan wrote:
autisticelders wrote:

Me too, whenever I'm out somewhere I'm always wondering about random things that catch my eye or pop into my head and vocalize it. It could be the silliest thing, like looking at a ketchup bottle at a restaurant. "Who came up with the idea of ketchup? You know I heard it used to be a luxury only the rich could enjoy, now it has the opposite reputation, I wonder how the stereotype of Americans eating ketchup got started, how do you think this was made? I wonder if I could make my own ketchup. What are the 57 varieties they're referring to?" etc.

This kind of thing usually doesn't go over well, not because other people don't wonder about stuff like that (I refuse to believe other people don't wonder about things) I think because it's "off topic" and from the perspective of people I'm with they feel like it came out of nowhere. They usually say things, like "where'd THAT come from" (I was looking at the ketchup bottle, etc). But if that's the case when AM I allowed to talk about stuff like that? Most people don't seem interested in trivia or pontification about random things they'd rather talk about what happened during their day or how good the food is or how something was on sale... it has to be relevant to them specifically I guess?

Even when talking about something like politics, no one wants to talk theory, it seems like people are more interested in how they are specifically affected or their own personal experiences ("politician X was elected and my taxes went up!", etc)

EDIT: Another thing I forgot to mention, there seems to be an attitude among most people that you need to have a reason to want to learn about something. I spent years studying Japanese and Linguistics and the number one response people had was to ask why I was doing it, do I have a girlfriend or want a Japanese girlfriend, do I want a job translating in Japan, etc. Now I'm trying to learn programming again and everyone assumed I want a job as a programmer. Those things are perks I guess and it's not like I've considered them but why can't curiosity or hobby be a motive by itself?

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2022, 9:54 am

LeafyGenes wrote:
usagibryan I hear you but I think part of the problem is that others actually do have this curiosity and we are not giving them room, because talking comes so much easier, to some of us, than listening. Any conversation and any relationship has to have give and take. I have also learned, from being on the receiving end, that intensity is a real conversation and relationship killer. We get "on a mission" and it's much harder then to really listen to what they say, which may appear to completely derail our own train of thought, but that is how conversations work.

Let's get totally new ideas, and totally new kinds of ideas, not just from our special (momentary)interests, but also from the living people around us.

Do we have a psychological "pause" and "reverse" or can we only charge forward? It's a form of bullying if so.

I get what you're saying, and I used to have that problem. If I was obsessed with a topic at the time (there is always something I'm obsessed with and it cycles) I would be incapable of talking about anything else, if the topic changed I would want to steer it back to my obsession somehow. I'm much better about this and am more self-conscious, but I still have my obsessions, so the result is I just don't talk about them and not have anything to say or try to force myself to engage in boring small talk (I realize now the content of the talk isn't important, it's the time spent with the people, etc).

However... I still get shut down just from making observations or asking random questions, even if I feel like it's on topic. Here's a made up example since I'm struggling to think of a real one. Say me, my girlfriend and her family are hanging out:

Girlfriend's mom: "Do you like this rug? I got it on sale, it was the last one"
Girlfriend: "Yeah it's nice, we want to get something like that for our living room"
Girlfriend's mom: "You could measure the floor and get something in this color that would match your couch, they probably have it at your local store"
Girlfriend's sister's husband: "We can't get something nice like that, the kids would just spill juice all over it"
Girlfriend's mom: "The kids can be a real handful sometimes"

*moment of silence, everyone takes a sip of their drink, I take this as a cue that I can speak*

Me staring at carpet: "I wonder who came up with the idea of a flying carpet. I'm sure it came out of Middle Eastern culture but maybe I just think that because of Aladdin? I saw a YouTube video saying Aladdin is a bad mishmash of Middle Eastern cultural elements, as if they made a cartoon about a fake country in Europe that had Scandinavian architecture with Italian cuisine."
Everyone else: "..."
Girlfriend's mom: "this napkin holder was on sale too"

The best I could hope for in that situation is an off-color joke about Arabs. I can have these kinds of conversations with my girlfriend, but no one else, and like I said I've gotten better about not doing this (I hope). But the result is I just end up being quiet and having nothing to say, or feeling bored.

LeafyGenes wrote:
To be honest, it's the seemingly lifelong cutoff from other human beings that drives my intensity.

I can understand that, I spent years in social isolation and the result is I now seek out social situations in a way I never used to. Unfortunately I think that social isolation damaged me in a way that makes it more difficult to interact with people. Most people have NOT, it seems, spent hours and hours on Wikipedia binges.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 4:38 pm

I often was unsettled by lessons seeming to begin in the middle. I didn't feel like I understood materials until I had learned just what happens at the tip of a crack that may or may not extend.
Without basic understanding, people can go badly wrong going by what "looks right." For many years, streamlining on cars had an evil reputation because it resembled aircraft shapes, and was reducing the grip of the tires with lift. Then we got styling copied from supersonic aircraft for a while, which is not as fast as more rounded shapes at car speeds.
I was recently horrified to learn that marine architects still design propellers according to the formula first used to decide if they should be tested against paddle wheels in a tug-of-war. If they used the equations that apply to moving through the water, they could get 20% better mileage.
I spent over a decade puzzling over what my ex had been shouting, until I finally unravelled her false assumptions.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 4:57 pm

Yes. One of my best friends is the most incurious person I know. I just don't get her perspective. She's not stupid, but she just doesn't wonder about things or have any desire to dig deeper than what she's already been told. It boggles my mind.