Anyone working in software development?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

TheUndiagnosed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Dec 2022, 8:04 am

Is anyone working as software developer? Can you tell some details about your experience?
Are you working in an office or remotely?
Thank you.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 8:34 am

You did really well, Max. It sounds like you were quite useful, and enjoyed your work.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 8:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You did really well, Max. It sounds like you were quite useful, and enjoyed your work.

Well I'm still working partly because the team I am working with still wants me, although I cut back to 32/week in November. Still trying to come to terms with how I will deal with full retirement when it comes. I should however be able to manage that financially in case anybody thinks I am still working for financial reasons, as many Boomers have found themselves doing.

TheUndiagnosed

12 Dec 2022, 9:04 pm

I'm asking because I have been thrown out of this field and I'm having hard times getting back

purplepuffin

18 Apr 2023, 9:10 pm

TheUndiagnosed wrote:
I'm asking because I have been thrown out of this field and I'm having hard times getting back

How did you get thrown out? Did you find a way to get back in after you posted this?

I work in software development and work remotely but don't like my current job very much. My previous one was great. They had someone design each app, and had diagrams for data flow and what screens happened after clicks of each button. Each screen was designed by a UI designer so you knew what you were meant to do. We also had a tester, and the tasks were laid out very explicitly, so you could see things like, when this button is clicked a a modal that looks like this appears, and these options are hidden if the user type is X and these other ones are hidden if user type is Y ... and things like that, so you knew for sure if the task was completed. The tester would validate that the list of requirements of that task were met and mark it as complete if they were. If they weren't, he would list what test he ran with steps (so we could reproduce what he did) and which requirements failed. It was so clear and easy to know what I had to do.

My current job, everything we worked on for a year has now been thrown out, because it wasn't designed by anyone and we just added what we thought of as we thought of it, and it was never going to work on a large scale. We had 'tasks' but they were just headings with no content. No design diagrams, no list of requirements to meet. No tester to validate them. We just added what we thought might be good. Now the boss has stepped in, and I thought he was going to design something or employ someone who would. Instead, he is just designing things as he goes, and we watch him as he codes. We have no tasks to do. Watching him is so boring and I can't concentrate on it at all. I want to leave this job and get something more structured and more interesting. But change is scary.

dantheman187
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 May 2023, 10:42 pm

TheUndiagnosed wrote:

I know the feeling. I moved countries as I was sick of commuting 1.5hrs on a packed train each way everyday,
I was living in one of the most unaffordable cities in the world, so my wife and I upped and moved about a year ago.

I was fortunate to find a job almost straight away and they did not care about upskilling me in Angular. Little did I know that was because the dev manager's plan (also happens to be the other dev) was that once I was competent enough, he could sit in meetings with the owner (who wouldn't know his as*hole from his elbow when it comes to tech) and delegate 90% of the work to me, so he could spend his time literally surfing twitter and watching Seinfeld and other shows on one of his dual screens, no I'm not kidding.

All while running a side consulting business and would take 5-10 calls a day, work from home when he wanted (looking at the git commits , he wasn't doing much for us).

After 9 months I asked for more pay because the stress was getting to me and the fact that because it was my first job here I underestimated the market and while looking at other jobs realized I was underpaid some 25-30% compared to market value.

Knowing the company had money as a new customer service person had been hired and paid $12k more than the previous, I expected the dev manager to be smart enough to consider the amount of work I do and that if I resign, shock horror he will actually have to work again and it will destroy his "show" time, and the owner not having a care or clue about tech would rely solely on the dev managers opinion weather or not to offer me more.

They flat out rejected it, I didn't even get to state why I thought I was worth more. I went home and spoke with my wife, she had seen how mentally my health had been suffering due to the pressure and stress, and she was right for my health it would be better to resign, so I did the next day.

Worked my four weeks and the toxicity got worse micromanaging stepped up to a whole new level, I was given a talking to for being 5 minutes late from my lunch brake, which made it clear I had mad the right decision.

My productivity ground to a hold, during which I spent my time looking for other work , made it to the final stages with 2 jobs, passed the technical tests, just lost out (probably due to Aspie nuances that I always struggle with)

now I'm 2 weeks officially out of work and finding the same difficulties, the only problem about moving to a smaller country is while yes it may drop the stresses of commuting, living costs, housing affordability , it raises the stresses of trying to find meaningful dev work.

Rant over, needed to get this off my chest. Point is yes its hard, I spend my time coding and looking and applying for work, it won't get easier, just need to keep trying , just like I'am.