Thoughts about the world ending someday

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 9:16 am

https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang/earth-end/

I'm not really afraid of the idea of entire world ending anymore. Literally nothing lasts forever, that's the one truth in this universe that we can all count on and I feel we should all just accept it. And frankly humans are pretty arrogant and foolish to believe that they're so special that they have the right to keep on existing after the mass extinction of their planet by traveling the galaxy on spaceships to look for new planets to build colonies or surviving and scavenging for supplies in the ruins of a bombed-out world full of zombies and robots.

What's probably even more absurd is the notion that any of us are worthy of "salvation" in the end. The 'Gods' of any religion in my opinion don't really care about any of us. If they are real to them we are nothing but mere specs.

That's my honest opinion about the world ending someday. Not trying to act like an edgelord for attention again, just saying we all know it will happen someday. It's inevitable.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Dec 2022, 9:24 am

It's inevitable... unless there's technology to i.e. move to other star systems. There's way more time until this than humanss have been around at all. And life tends to be very resilient, going through various catastrophes and mass extinction events and rebuilding again and again.

Anyway, the ultimate end of planet Earth won't happen in our lifetimes. Nor in lifetimes of anyone remembering us. It's just The Unknown.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 9:31 am

magz wrote:
It's inevitable... unless there's technology to i.e. move to other star systems. There's way more time until this than humanss have been around at all. And life tends to be very resilient, going through various catastrophes and mass extinction events and rebuilding aagain and again.

Anyway, the end of planet Earth won't happen in our lifetimes.

I personally think that at the way things are going the human species will be long gone before the earth itself actually gets destroyed the way it talks about on that article. There might even be some animals still living in this world without us for a long time.

There was an interesting video game I remember playing for the PS3 based around that idea called Tokyo Jungle. It was set in a world where animals ruled the abandoned ruins of a world where humans had gone extinct. A pretty creative concept I thought. :)

https://youtu.be/olMGk2yfNpI

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 7:45 pm

Humans really aren't as special as they arrogantly like to believe they are. One day we'll be nothing but dust. :skull:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Dec 2022, 3:00 am

Maybe a bit tangent but - I read somewhere that in Bhutan, there is a tradition of contemplating one's own death a number of times a day. Practicioners of it say, it helps you calm down and become generally happier overall.
Maybe contemplating inevitable perishing of our own planet can serve a similar purpose.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>