Disaster-happiness-- a correlation with AS?

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 10:29 pm

Do you love fires? Do you enjoy volcanos erupting on helpless villagers? Do floods turn you on? Do you find those beautiful corpses on CSI hot? Do you get off on avalanches? Do you whoop with joy when you hear of a major storm warning in your town? Do you hope for something to happen so that you can have some stimulation? Have you ever planned to join the military for that reason? When there's a riot downtown, do you feel like going down there and joining in? Do you wish you were at certain schools when they were shot up (provided you survived)? Do you pray for disasters, knowing that God will understand that you aren't evil? Do you daydream about being in the midst of a major hurricane? Do you write fiction about fictional people in disasters that really happened? Did you get giddy and excited while watching the latest news about the SARS scare? Are you involved in some controversial group for the controversy, or at least partially for the controversy?

Me? Yes to all of the above! Both the male and the female corpses, by the way. :D

username88
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 10:37 pm

Do floods turn you on? Do you get off on avalanches? Ok I just had to laugh at those two :lol:
Do you pray for disasters, knowing that God will understand that you aren't evil? Oh I had to laugh at that one too :lol: :lol:
But yea Im actually like that too up to an extent, I mean, all those things are interesting but I dont really get a rush from it anymore. I dont really need to get a rush from violent things anymore at all in the matter of fact.. Nowadays Im just like, hm, that was interesting, or "oh cool!" at the most.

dumbgenius
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 1:56 am

This is....interesting.

xanadu
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Aug 2007, 5:09 am

Interesting topic... sorry to say I can't really relate to those topics... though I have an interest in nuclear explosions. Some time I'd like to see one - from a safe distance - though I wouldn't want it to hurt any living being. Oh and I'm always reading lots about threatening pandemics, like when everybody talked about SARS, H5N1 (avian flu) or BSE. Though I read in a book (Gillberg?) it could be said of most Aspies they "wouldn't ever hurt a fly", so I don't believe there really is a correlation.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 6:28 am

I am interested in these things but having been homeless and hungry I am afraid of anything that would disrupt the world economy to the extent that housing/food supply are disrupted, unemployment increases etc so I could be in the at position again.

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 9:18 am

Interesting, because the answer is yes to most of the situations. Having said that I'm not too keen on dead bodies and there's no way you would see me in the military.

Ed Almos

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 11:05 am

This sounds more like a psychopath thing than an aspie thing.

One thing I like, though, is thunderstorms—even severe ones—although I do not appreciate the destructive aspect of them. One time my dad an I were driving right under what might have been a funnel cloud (later I found out funnel clouds had been reported in the area); I thought it was pretty cool.

nellos121
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2007, 11:10 am

whats a funnel cloud?

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 12:26 pm

nellos121 wrote:
whats a funnel cloud?

A funnel cloud is a rotating column of air descending from the base of a cumulonimbus (and occasionally other cumuloform clouds) cloud but not reaching the ground. Once the vortex has touched down to the ground, it is called a tornado rather than a funnel cloud.

nellos121
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2007, 12:28 pm

Thanks

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 12:42 pm

Not at all. I am interested in natural disasters, but not simply because they kill people. But I have the ability to watch those programs purely from the scientific point of view. I don't get turned on by corpses.

I like to watch surgeries as well as programs about diseases. Again I don't feel at all squeamish.

We are supposed to lackempathy not sympathy. I’m not sure how getting turned on by corpses has anything to do with AS

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Aug 2007, 12:54 pm

I love thunderstorms, but dont like when stuff gets distroyed or ppl end up getting hurt or killed. I love shows about solving cases, and LOVED the X files, and saw alot of fake dead bodys, but the real thing, i dont know if i could handel that, jeeze when I was 6 years old I saw Ghostbusters (kick @$$ movie) and when they were in the subway a bunch of severed heads appeared and were floating suddenly around the guys. This scared me to death back then, thinking this could occure I slept with the covers over my head seriously for a year or 2 after so i would not see it if it did. I try and act tough at friends houses when they watch surgery stuff on tv or even animal planet surgerys to save animals, but by myself i simply cannot deal watching that stuff.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 1:33 pm

Sometimes I think disasters are interesting but I don't like the fact that they kill people. I find it sad when it does. The most interesting disaster to me is the big earthquakes in the world. I even have psychic dreams about disasters and feel responsible when they actually take place. The worst disaster I had a dream about was the huge tsunami that killed 230,000 people. I had many dreams about it before it happened. I still remember the dreams that I had about it.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

12 Aug 2007, 2:10 pm

i like watching hurricanes on doppler radar

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 2:49 pm

Woodsman25, I love thunderstorms too. When I was a little kid I used to love seeing and hearing them at night. Though unlike you, I get happy and giddy when they come with hurricane-like winds, blowing flower boxes off balconies and through the air, blowing people in the street, I even sort of like it when it blows sand in people's faces. And I like it when it makes a lot of noise!

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 3:04 pm

Wow, I was even going to start a thread like that but you Ana have been faster.

Let's start from this I'm untouched when I can see somebody's suffering. I'm interested in serial killers, crimes in general and natural disasters. I like Connie Willis's Doomsday Book and Stephen King's The Stand because their main motive is plague. I rarely feel all those things normal people feel in such situations - catastrophes and murders are simply interesting for me, nothing more, not shocking or whatever. I don't commit crimes or hurt people but I like reading about those who did it. When I was visiting Auschwitz this year I didn't feel anything what should be felt in such a situation, I didn't identify with prisoners. My cognitive empathy is very good but the emotional one is poor.

I must admit (I know that you will want to lynch me for this) that when those planes crushed into WTC on 11/09 I was really excited and watched it in TV as the best show all over the world. The only feeling I had then was anger that there wasn't The Testament in TV because instead of it there were showed some guys talking about terrorists.