Butterfly

11 Dec 2022, 9:55 am

A blogger, vlogger, instagramer?

Please tell us a bit about yourself.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 10:51 am

I'm a Let's Player. I post Let's Plays on YouTube of my favorite video games with no commentary and sometimes with cheats turned on. I enjoy a good variety of genres such as first person shooters, point n click adventures, first person puzzles, walking simulators, casual RPGs, etc.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

11 Dec 2022, 11:19 am

If publishing program code on Github counts as content creating, there's probably a lot of content creators here. I also publish PCB designs (printed circuit boards, similar to the mainboard of a computer or smartphone) as a hobby, for other users to get it printed by a factory or to modify it.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 2:22 am

I keep thinking I should write a non-fiction book or a few essays on various matters, but so far I haven't bothered. I'm fairly content just to answer questions on WP. I might turn my diary entries into an autobiography one day, but I doubt anybody would want to read it (even a future historian wouldn't be likely to be interested in the life of somebody so atypical of my times, and my achievements and experiences aren't of the kind of profoundness that books get written about, though they're very profound in their own little way), and I've already got a few timelines and annual summaries which are probably all that's necessary.

I don't really believe in non-fiction books. I think a lot of them could usefully be replaced with shorter summaries of the main points so people wouldn't have to trawl through so much woffle. I suppose I could publish a few step-by-step procedures for studio music recording, or cooking recipes, but most of what I've got is so tailored to my own way of doing things that I doubt it would be much use to anybody else. I usually do things rather differently to most people.

I've got a lot of music recordings, the most recent of which might be worth collecting together, and I've given away quite a few CDs of my work to friends, family, and people who like my live performances, but I doubt I'd be able to reach a large audience with them, and don't really want to.

So no, I'm not much of a content creator, though I've created quite a lot of content for audiences of very limited size and for myself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 7:27 am

If one is prolific, and the work is of some value to someone, then someone is a “content creator.”

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 8:21 am

I built prototypes and wrote technical articles, but nobody stole the ideas. Some are re-doing the work incrementally. Just using up some scraps to accommodate my PTSD got me six pages in a book this year. I've had some of my photos re-used, and some articles on social, economic, and political views commented on. I don't use social media, though.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 8:45 am

I did a public access radio show. Its been on hiatus for awhile.

But for almost 20 years I hosted an hour long show that went over the Loudon County Virginia cable TV network, and also went over the world wide web.

I did a Dr. Demento type show playing both crazy comical records and some normal rocknroll... interspersed with me on the mic giving commentary. One hour a week. It was a lot of work creating the content almost every week. But fun.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 12:52 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I did a public access radio show.

Now that's another thing I've often felt tempted to do. It would probably end up much like the John Peel show, i.e. much more to do with the host's taste in music than anybody else's, though unlike John Peel, nobody would listen to my show. But it would exist.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 12:57 pm

Yes

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 12:58 am

Magda.Regula wrote:
A blogger, vlogger, instagramer?

Please tell us a bit about yourself.

Well I do have a couple short videos on youtube so in that sense I am or was a content creator but I am not a successful content creator.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 1:18 am

I suspect that "content creator" now includes a lot of activity that is only intended to keep people's attention in the general vicinity of advertising and pay the creator a stipend. I collaborated on a successful YouTube entry as well, but only to make helpful technical information available to people in dire straits.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 1:30 am

a bit of my material [digitally restored materials in a novel form] were broadcast. some of my restoration work is on youtube. a few individuals the world over have copies of CDs i made for them out of digitally restored audios.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 3:44 am

How big do you need to become to be a content creator? The net seems to be cast a bit wide.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 3:58 am

Nades wrote:
How big do you need to become to be a content creator? The net seems to be cast a bit wide.

if you did at least one media-related thing for something else, in my view that means you nominally created content.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 7:51 am

I knew a musician who was proud of emptying certain public bars with his performances. I also knew a biker who said he'd never speak to a band I was in again if we ever became too famous. I've never taken my sense of disgust for popularity quite that far, but I do tend to see it as a good thing when I find content that, while obscure, I happen to be able to relate to. I've often observed a degree of correlation between mass popularity and poor content quality.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 8:29 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I did a public access radio show.

Now that's another thing I've often felt tempted to do. It would probably end up much like the John Peel show, i.e. much more to do with the host's taste in music than anybody else's, though unlike John Peel, nobody would listen to my show. But it would exist.

Yes. Its quite an experience. You hafta bust ass to script out your dj comments, and pick the records you're gonna play. And figure out atleast in rough way how to fit it into the hour. Meet a deadline. I have played some records AuntBlabby sent me by the way. He has quite a collection of odd ball songs that fit into my show.

Not familiar with John Peel.

There are a number of folks who do stuff on 'real radio' who seemed to be allowed to their own thing. And play their own records...and are not slaves to the current hits programer directors. There is a show called "Tiki Lounge" (forget the host's name) on XM-Sirius who plays an idiosyncratic mix of his. You will hear a popular song...by a popular artist...but a song not associated with that artist. Like you will hear Dianna Ross doing a song associated with Dolly Parton, or think you're listening to a Beatle song being done by the what you think is the Beatles - and then realize 90 percent of the way through the song that it only 90 percent SOUNDS like the Beatles, and that its...the Bee Gees!