Virginia Restaurant refuses to serve conservative group

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 12:59 pm

Restaurant denies Christian group service over its anti-abortion and LGBTQ stances

Quote:

The faith-based group denied service at a Richmond, Virginia, restaurant is speaking out against what it called a "bigoted" decision by the eatery to cancel its reservation.

Metzger Bar and Butchery recently refused to host a private event for The Family Foundation, a conservative Christian organization, over its position on same-sex marriage and abortion rights. Family Foundation President Victoria Cobb told CBS MoneyWatch that the restaurant's decision not to serve the group based on its religious and political views was "alarming and disgraceful."

"It's not a good business model to have the feeling like people are making an assessment of you of whether you're worthy to eat at their restaurant," Cobb told CBS MoneyWatch. "It's uncomfortable for people to think that's how we're going to function in society."

Metzger Bar and Butchery, which called itself an "inclusive" establishment that has rarely refused service to willing patrons, said on social media that it denied service to the group to protect its staff, many of whom are women or members of the LGBTQ+ community.

"Recently we refused service to a group that had booked an event with us after the owners of Metzger found out it was a group of donors to a political organization that seeks to deprive women and LGBTQ+ persons of their basic human rights in Virginia," the establishment said in a recent post on Instagram.

The move was consistent with Metzger's past practices and was made out of respect for its staff, according to the restaurant.

"We have always refused service to anyone for making our staff uncomfortable or unsafe and this was the driving force behind our decision," the business said in a post. "All of our staff are people with rights who deserve dignity and a safe work environment."

The restaurant's lead chef and co-owner, Brittanny Anderson, is known for having been contestant on the "Top Chef" cooking competition show.

Metzger co-owner Nathan Conway declined to comment on the incident beyond the restaurant's social media post "of respect for the privacy of all of our guests."

After the incident, Cobb, of The Family Foundation, wrote a blog post entitled "We've Been Canceled! Again."

Cobb told CBS MoneyWatch she is open to having a conversation with Metzger's owners and would consider dining there should the Family Foundation be welcome. "But I don't think that's their intention," she said.

A Virginia restaurant refused to serve a conservative Christian group. Is that legal?
Quote:
Even before the Supreme Court took up a case this term on whether a web designer can turn away some same-sex couples, debates were raging across the country about how to balance the rights of business owners with the rights of the customers they serve.

Wedding cake bakers, T-shirt creators, florists and even tax preparers have faced pushback for refusing to serve gay couples under certain circumstances, most notably when customers are seeking products for a wedding celebration.

Now, a restaurant in Richmond, Virginia, is grabbing headlines for participating in a less common — but no less contentious — kind of service refusal.

In the blog post, Cobb also accused Metzger Bar and Butchery of engaging in the same type of discrimination that plagued Black communities around 70 years ago.

“Welcome to the 21st century, where people who likely consider themselves ‘progressives’ attempt to recreate an environment from the 1950s and early ’60s, when people were denied food service due to their race,” she wrote.

But a legal expert interviewed by The Washington Post said that Metzger’s decision differs from past service refusals in one important way: It was motivated by political difference rather than race.

“It’s about the overall positions and policies the group has taken,” said Elizabeth Sepper, a law professor at the University of Texas, to the Post.

While civil rights laws generally forbid places of public accommodation, including restaurants, from discriminating on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation and other protected characteristics, it’s rare for them to include politics-related protections. That’s why a judge recently sided with a bar that kicked out a conservative patron.

“A judge in 2018 sided with a New York bar that ejected a customer for wearing a ‘Make America Great Again’ hat in support of President Donald Trump,” The Washington Post reported.

But business which turns away customers for political reasons doesn’t necessarily get off scot-free. They’re often targeted by angry online reviewers and calls for boycotts, as Metzger’s has been.

“As of (Dec. 2), Yelp had disabled the ability for people to post comments on Metzger Bar and Butchery’s page after it received numerous negative reviews related to the incident, quickly followed by several positive reviewers attempting to counteract the one-star reviews,” Virginia Business reported.

To be clear, business owners who object to same-sex marriage for religious reasons also face online harassment when they get caught up in the service refusal debate. For example, dozens of Twitter users sent negative tweets about Lorie Smith, the web designer at the center of this term’s Supreme Court case, during oral arguments on Monday.

However, businesses and customers involved in highly publicized service refusals can also financially benefit from the controversy. The Washington Post article on the Metzger drama noted that the restaurant and the Family Foundation have launched fundraising drives this week.

The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty’s fourth annual Religious Freedom Index, released Wednesday, found that Americans generally support the right of business owners to refuse to participate in same-sex weddings for religious reasons.

“Roughly 7 in 10 Americans supported the business owner’s right to act on their beliefs, regardless of whether the business owner in question was Muslim, Jewish or Christian,” the survey found.

But in research on service refusals, question wording seems to matter quite a bit. Other surveys have shown that Americans are quite divided over whether business owners should be allowed to turn away LGBTQ customers.

For example, just last year, Public Religion Research Institute identified widespread opposition to allowing business owners to refuse service to LGBTQ customers when they didn’t reference weddings in the question text.

“About 1 in 5 Americans (22%) say they favor allowing small business owners to refuse to provide products or services to gay or lesbian people if doing so would violate their religious beliefs. Three in four Americans (76%) oppose religiously based refusals to serve gay and lesbian people,” the Institute reported in 2021.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 3:14 pm

Wasn't there a cake shop in the US that refused to service gay people?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 4:57 pm

I would refuse to serve them, too. People like that most certainly wouldn't taste very good!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 6:26 pm

Its against the law to refuse service to individuals based upon creed (beliefs, ideologies), and against the law to refuse to hire folks based upon creed. I am not sure if its against the law to refuse to allow a group to have an event at your venue because of their political beliefs, or not.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 6:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Its against the law to refuse service to individuals based upon creed (beliefs, ideologies), and against the law to refuse to hire folks based upon creed. I am not sure if its against the law to refuse to allow a group to have an event at your venue because of their political beliefs, or not.

Depends on the laws of the land.

Here, everyone has the right to refuse unsafe work, so, if staff feel unsafe serving someone who threatens their safety, then tough beans, hit the road.

Usually it's about physically dangerous tasks, but, unsafe is unsafe and I believe it would stand up in court/BC Human Rights Tribunal to refuse to serve customers that make your staff feel unsafe.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 6:41 pm

If a conservative religious business can refuse to someone whom they perceive as a threat, then conservative religious groups should expect to be refused service by someone who sees them as a threat.

The Golden Rule is coming back to bite right-wing, religious conservatives squarely in their hypocritical, holier-than-thou butts.  So, if any of those self-righteous right-wingers want to be treated with respect, then they had better start showing respect for others, regardless of their age, race, gender, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), religion, national origin, and physical or mental disability.

:P

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 8:17 pm

The ACLU famously went to bat for the American Nazis so they could be allowed to march in Skokie Indiana back in the Eighties.

But that was down a public street.

If you're a private restaurant owner would it be illegal for you to refuse to allow the American Nazi party to stage a fundraising bingo party at your restaurant? Or the KKK, or the Commies, or the North American Man-Boy Love Association?

My gut feeling is that that would not be illegal.

You might not want your name and that of your venue to be publicly associated with said group, and hurt business (among other reasons). I would think that the law would respect that.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 11:13 am

As has been said the restaurant can not refuse to serve them because they are Christians. They can refuse to serve based on opposing trans women on women’s sports teams. As noted the courts upheld a restaurant that refused to serve a guy with a MAGA hat.

I imagine the Family Foundation is going to claim that their contribution is practicing their religion thus discriminating against them is illegal discrimination against their religion. I would not think that will fly as contributions to advocacy organizations are considered political acts. It may be based on religious beliefs, but still a political act. But with SCOTUS the way it is who knows.

I do not know if the amount of business that discriminate against customers based on political beliefs has increased but business citing employees being offended by customer opinion as a reason for discriminating is a recent phenomenon. It used to be “the customer is always right”. That was not meant literally. It meant while the customer may be dead wrong as an employee you were expected to pretend they are right and suck up to them in hopes that they will return and even better recommend the business to others.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 1:20 pm

^That “rule,” about customer service is about some ahole customer who says his drink had too much ice or his soup arrived too slowly being “right,” no matter what, Not about having to allow people that hate you and make you feel unsafe to be your customers.

It’s a far stretch to say service staff are obligated to agree with the bigoted views of their customers for the sake of gaining repeat business. It should be the opposite: Management/Ownership telling those potential customers to pound sand.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 1:45 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
^That “rule,” about customer service is about some ahole customer who says his drink had too much ice or his soup arrived too slowly being “right,” no matter what, Not about having to allow people that hate you and make you feel unsafe to be your customers.

It’s a far stretch to say service staff are obligated to agree with the bigoted views of their customers for the sake of gaining repeat business. It should be the opposite: Management/Ownership telling those potential customers to pound sand.

They were not expected to agree with them but often they were expected to act nice, humor them, calm them down etc.

People were thrown out for political views back in the day. For example the owner was a WWII vet or most of his clientele were and some guy with a peace symbol walked in. The difference the decision was based on owner being offended. The employees feelings did not matter.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 2:06 pm

Of course, a restaurant has the right to refuse service----but to refuse service based upon someone's political beliefs is ridiculous.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2022, 3:07 pm

I am left of center and I think this was a bit much.

They should have served, and made sure to have their LGBT staff on hand in rainbow colored uniforms (if they want, or they can just wear normal stuff).

I remember the Chick fil A backlash.

I think society often reaches a tipping point on some sort of new value and then goes nuts on punishing people who don't adapt.

I expect in my lifetime to see people who eat meat become demonized if/when lab grown meat becomes viable.

I could see future citizens looking at statues from our era and going, "oh, but he was a meat eater, tear it down."

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 3:16 pm

Lol some of you guys just don’t get it.

Imagine being a black woman being forced to wait on klansmen. F that!

Homophobe convention in the restaurant I work at? Naaaah; either management declined their business or myself and many of the rest of the staff would just walk off the job and quit and tell manage my good luck with running a restaurant in this town without any lgbt people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 3:33 pm

This isn't a black woman being forced to wait on a Klansman.....

Nor is it a gay waiter having to wait on obviously homophobic people.

It's just a "liberal" restaurant refusing to wait on a "conservative" group.

This world is becoming too "black and white." We have to learn to tolerate political differences more. Conservatives and liberals used to be able to get along, and do bipartisan things. They had common ground. Nowadays, though, we're too polarized to get anything substantial done. Because of the stalemates caused by political differences.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 3:40 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Lol some of you guys just don’t get it.

Imagine being a black woman being forced to wait on klansmen. F that!

Homophobe convention in the restaurant I work at? Naaaah; either management declined their business or myself and many of the rest of the staff would just walk off the job and quit and tell manage my good luck with running a restaurant in this town without any lgbt people.

NO. Your staff would have no grounds.

American Nazis having a bingo party at your restaurant are not gonna beat up on your Jewish staff right then and there. They might be a threat to the Jewish staff...if they achieved power and took over the country five years down the road. But they would not be an 'occupational hazard' to your Jewish staff the night of the event. It would not be the equivalent of your boss asking you to do heavy lifting without providing you with a back brace belt, or backing up forklifts without using that warning beeping horn.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 4:02 pm

If I were a boss, I wouldn't make a black woman (or black man) wait on a Klansman.

Or a Jew wait on some person in a Nazi uniform.