Hospitals cannot be forced to do gender transitions - Court

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 2:09 pm

Catholic healthcare providers can't be forced to do gender surgeries: U.S. court

Quote:
The Biden administration cannot force a group of Catholic healthcare providers and professionals to perform gender transition surgeries under an Obama-era regulation barring sex discrimination in healthcare, a U.S. appeals court ruled on Friday.

A unanimous three-judge panel of the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with a North Dakota federal judge who said the U.S. Health and Human Services (HHS) rule infringes on the religious freedoms of the plaintiffs, including a group of nuns who run health clinics for the poor and an association of Catholic healthcare professionals.

The New Orleans-based 5th Circuit came to the same conclusion in August in a case brought by Christian medical groups.

The federal Affordable Care Act prohibits sex discrimination by healthcare providers who receive federal funding, and the HHS rule interpreted that ban as extending to discrimination based on gender identity.

The Trump administration attempted to repeal the rule in 2020, but that effort was blocked by federal courts. That same year, the U.S. Supreme Court in Bostock v. Clayton County held that discrimination based on gender identity is a form of discrimination on the basis of sex.

The case is The Religious Sisters of Mercy v. Becerra, 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, No. 21-1890.

For the plaintiffs: Luke Goodrich of the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty and Ian Speir of Nussbaum Speir Gleason

For the government: Ashley Cheung Honold of the U.S. Department of Justice

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 2:29 pm

I absolutely do not want someone operating on me who was forced to do it. If their heart isn't in it they are not touching me with a scalpel.

At least this way the patient will get better quality care. They will know what hospitals to avoid.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 5:18 pm

Ironic that their hatred, bigotry, and discrimination for certain types of God's creations is going to keep them out of heaven and send them straight to hell - according to their own beliefs, anyways. 8)

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2022, 6:13 pm

I don’t see any discrimination - that hospital does not offer that surgery to anyone.

Now if you had a prostate, and they refused to treat you for prostate cancer because you identified as a woman - THAT would be a problem.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 6:20 pm

What QD, and Hurtloam, said.