Sat at the dinner table and hardly said a word

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 2:29 pm

I chose not to answer any questions because I felt reluctant to talk about anything that is upsetting or worrying me because it is something that was discussed before. I now feel bad as I though I was being rude and hurtful and not wanting to acknowledge other people at the dinner table and causing an atmosphere.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 4:59 pm

Some days are like that and you just don't want to talk. I get that. Your family probably does too because they will have days like that too.

Was this today? You'll probably feel a bit better tomorrow after a good night sleep and you can maybe offer to make every a cup of tea (or whatever. I'm English, so tea if our social glue).

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 2:15 pm

I had dinner earlier without even saying anything at the table again, with people wondering why I'm not talking much and won't sit still at the table and then walked out of the living room while other people were still eating to wash up and then did that and then when went straight to back to my room. People are frustrated wondering what the matter is and I won't tell despite the fact that I do want to talk but don't know how to start it.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 5:58 pm

Eating dinner with your parents?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 6:10 pm

I can't relate. Other than Christmas, I haven't eaten at a table with my parents since I was about six years old. My kids and I never ate at a table together either except restaurants. If we went to my parents' for Christmas my son wouldn't say anything and would put his forehead on the table to avoid talking. No one cared because we all love each other anyway.

If it's just something new for you and it's drawing a lot of attention, maybe it's time to stop eating together like that. Conversations are usually a lot easier when they don't feel so forced, or face-to-face.