Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheUndiagnosed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Dec 2022, 10:33 pm

I don't like alcohol, I know disliking it sounds like a sin in our society, but recently I discovered that it has a bad effect on me.
In my 20s I used to drink alcohol most of the time alone, to help myself in "socializing" and during my awkard attempts at dating. And to have some fun. I drank beer cans bought at the grocery store.
Now at 42 I have realized that alchool doesn't give me that enjoiable effect anymore! It makes me only more dizzy, numb and zombie-like.

The last time I have taken alcohol was about 4 months ago at that party I talked about in this thread:
https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=408305
At that party I was basically "forced" to drink alcohol to follow what everyone around was doing.And the experience was bad.

Well,recently I made a little experiment: I tried to drink alcohol again.. and guess what: it gave me only an annoying sense of dizziness which lasted some hours and made me regret the action. Again: no enjoable effect at all.

So it is confirmed now that alcohol has a bad effect on me.

it's so strange because a lot of people my age drink alcohol like there's no tomorrow, especially to cope with loneliness or a stressfull life... but for me it doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone relate to this aversion to alcohol I've developed recently?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 12:53 am

TheUndiagnosed wrote:
I don't like alcohol, I know disliking it sounds like a sin in our society, but recently I discovered that it has a bad effect on me.
In my 20s I used to drink alcohol most of the time alone, to help myself in "socializing" and during my awkard attempts at dating. And to have some fun. I drank beer cans bought at the grocery store.
Now at 42 I have realized that alchool doesn't give me that enjoiable effect anymore! It makes me only more dizzy, numb and zombie-like.

The last time I have taken alcohol was about 4 months ago at that party I talked about in this thread:
https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=408305
At that party I was basically "forced" to drink alcohol to follow what everyone around was doing.And the experience was bad.

Well,recently I made a little experiment: I tried to drink alcohol again.. and guess what: it gave me only an annoying sense of dizziness which lasted some hours and made me regret the action. Again: no enjoable effect at all.

So it is confirmed now that alcohol has a bad effect on me.

it's so strange because a lot of people my age drink alcohol like there's no tomorrow, especially to cope with loneliness or a stressfull life... but for me it doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone relate to this aversion to alcohol I've developed recently?

Well I can kind of relate.I never have been able to drink a lot of beer.The most I have drank on most times was one beer but there's some people that can drink alcohol all night but I have never been that way.I am glad though that I never been a big drinker.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 1:32 am

unless it is nearbeer [1/2% alc] i can only drink a few sips before i get an upset stomach. my late father, OTOH, could drink a case and still walk.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 7:32 am

I drink beer with friends socially down the pub every Friday and Saturday

Don’t drink during the week though

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 8:36 am

It's always good to have an "aversion" to alcohol. It's expensive, and it causes liver damage.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 8:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's always good to have an "aversion" to alcohol. It's expensive, and it causes liver damage.

The bud light beer in the pub I go to only costs 2 pounds a pint

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 8:49 am

It all adds up.....

Imagine a person who is on Jobseekers' Allowance paying 10 pounds a pack for cigarettes!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 8:56 am

TheUndiagnosed wrote:

Yes, I came to that realisation in my 30s. I don't like alcohol. One drink makes me feel ill, I don't like the taste or smell of it so why bother?

I think I'm luckier being a small woman because people seem to accept that a small woman wouldn't be able to drink 15 pints or whatever. It must be harder for men as they are 'expected' to be macho twerps and get drunk every time they go out.

It is not right for people to pressure any of us to drink alcohol if we don't want to. When I was in my teens and twenties people would watch what I was drinking like a hawk and say 'have a real drink, not Coke.' 'You're a skinflint only buying soft drinks when the rest of us want a real drink.' 'Pay for a proper round, not soft drinks.'

No? I just don't like alcoholic drinks, I wasn't thinking about the money. But why should I pay for expensive drinks that I don't like?

Society needs to accept that we aren't all alcohol obsessed.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 8:58 am

auntblabby wrote:
unless it is nearbeer [1/2% alc] i can only drink a few sips before i get an upset stomach. my late father, OTOH, could drink a case and still walk.

Same here, one alcoholic drink upsets my stomach so I can't drink more than that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 9:05 am

TheUndiagnosed wrote:
I don't like alcohol, I know disliking it sounds like a sin in our society, but recently I

Once you leave college in the US drinking isnt quite as mandatory in adult society as it seems to be in Britain.

In fact the grandparent generation of my Boomer generation were often strictly religious nondrinkers. And a number of families I knew, including our own, would have to lock up our parents' liquor cabinent when grandma came to visit in order to maintain the fiction that we never touched the sauce. :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 9:19 am

naturalplastic wrote:
TheUndiagnosed wrote:
I don't like alcohol, I know disliking it sounds like a sin in our society, but recently I

Once you leave college in the US drinking isnt quite as mandatory in adult society as it seems to be in Britain.

You are correct. Brits are some of the worst drunkards in Europe, it's fashionable to get so drunk that they can't stand up or talk. I've no idea why. I suspect it's because we aren't allowed to show our emotions when sober, so people get drunk to show their emotions, then excuse themselves by saying 'I was drunk, I didn't mean it.'

It seems to be a Germanic thing to get severely drunk, too. The Germanic nations are the worst for getting drunk and violent. The Latin nations however- Spain, Italy, France- know how to drink sensibly.

Also we don't have strict religion in Britain to restrain this drunkenness. A growing percentage of Brits are atheists/non-believers. They did a survey very recently and this proved it. Religion is more something to be laughed at and kept secret in Britain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63792408

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 12:42 pm

KitLily wrote:
Also we don't have strict religion in Britain to restrain this drunkenness. A growing percentage of Brits are atheists/non-believers. They did a survey very recently and this proved it. Religion is more something to be laughed at and kept secret in Britain.

I must be a notable exception then. I don't even think the word "spiritual" means anything, but I'm not drawn to alcohol at all, and I tend to feel sorry for people who are. I don't absolutely hate the stuff, and don't mind having an occasional social drink, but it's really not part of my normal life. When I was young I messed with it a bit, and brewed my own ale, but I got bored with it. The dark side of alcohol is well-documented so I've no need to explain its ill effects. But I will take a swipe at it by saying they charge way more than it's worth (via tax, and profiteering in pubs and restaurants) and that using a drug that numbs the part of the brain responsible for thinking "don't do that, it will upset people" isn't something I need.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 3:14 pm

I just never developed a taste for alcohol. I can barely drink a sip of the stuff.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 7:01 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
KitLily wrote:

I must be a notable exception then.

In what way are you an exception, I couldn't work it out from your comment?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 7:04 am

one would think that if they could send a man to the moon and bring tang back with 'em, that they could also make a non-burny alky :hic:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 4:19 pm

KitLily wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
KitLily wrote:

I must be a notable exception then.

In what way are you an exception, I couldn't work it out from your comment?

Only in the sense that personally I don't need religion to restrain me from drunkenness. I'm not an exception of the "I belong to a strict religion but I still can't stop getting drunk" kind. That would be a more relevent exception.

Religion certainly does seem to be in slow decline in the UK. But so is overall alcohol consumption, apparently, though alcohol-specific deaths rose between 2019 and 2020:

https://alcoholchange.org.uk/alcohol-fa ... statistics

I can't find any surveys that look at the effect of religion on drunkenness. I suppose it's plausible that an ardent follower of a religion that preached against excessive alcohol use might be less likely to get drunk, and some churches offer programmes for alcoholic rehabilitation that use secular methods rather than just moralistic preaching against drinking, but I would think it's very hard to prove that atheism increases the risk of alcoholism. The question of whether or not strict religion in the UK used to significantly restrain people from getting drunk is an interesting one. I'm sure it often tried to, and I've heard declarations from new converts declaring they used to be alcoholics till they were "saved," but it's hard for me to know whether they're telling the whole truth.