Does Anyone Else Have No Sense of the Passage of Time?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2022, 7:23 am

Them: "How long ago was it?"
Me: "Um, maybe like a few years ago?"
*looks at calendar*
Me: "Oh it was 7 months ago."

Them: "What took you so long?"
Me: "It's only been like half an hour?"
Them: "It's been 2 hours!"

And so on and so forth.

Also I don't know if this is related, but if you held a gun to my head and tried to ask me how tall someone was in feet, I would just take the bullet.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Dec 2022, 7:44 am

I am terrible about the passage of time. I consistently forget that class will end and make my students late if they don’t remind me (ie: Me: “ok, everybody get two dowels, a rolling pin, and a pound of clay.” Student: “class ends in 5 minutes.” Me: “nevermind, everybody clean up.”

I can’t remember how old people are - including myself, my Dh, and my kids. I can remember what year they are born, so I remind myself what year it is now and do the math.

Always have to check the date. Even if I checked the date five minutes ago.

I will ask students “did you know so and so?” No? “They graduated/taught here a couple of years ago.” On further thought, actually in 2010.

Also, my daughter says I believe “time is flat” as in the sequence of events does not matter.

Example - when I was a teenager I was horsing around with a casual friend and physically injured him. I felt very bad about that. Every time I remembered it, I felt bad about it. 35 years later he acquired a position of authority in which he did some things I find morally reprehensible. I no longer feel at all bad about the injury. Serves him right.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2022, 7:54 am

Quantum duck wrote:
I am terrible about the passage of time. I consistently forget that class will end and make my students late if they don’t remind me (ie: Me: “ok, everybody get two dowels, a rolling pin, and a pound of clay.” Student: “class ends in 5 minutes.” Me: “nevermind, everybody clean up.”

:lol:

Quantum duck wrote:
I can’t remember how old people are - including myself, my Dh, and my kids. I can remember what year they are born, so I remind myself what year it is now and do the math.

I can never seem to remember my age.

Quantum duck wrote:
Always have to check the date. Even if I checked the date five minutes ago.

Same!

Quantum duck wrote:
I will ask students “did you know so and so?” No? “They graduated/taught here a couple of years ago.” On further thought, actually in 2010.

:lol:

Quantum duck wrote:
Also, my daughter says I believe “time is flat” as in the sequence of events does not matter.

Example - when I was a teenager I was horsing around with a casual friend and physically injured him. I felt very bad about that. Every time I remembered it, I felt bad about it. 35 years later he acquired a position of authority in which he did some things I find morally reprehensible. I no longer feel at all bad about the injury. Serves him right.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the “time is flat” concept, but how long ago memories feel to me are all over the place, and they can change suddenly. Something that was 10 years ago but for the last ten years felt like last year, can suddenly feel like 10 years ago. As if my brain said "ok I guess the difference is big enough for this to be considered "the past."

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 8:09 am

I can't remember when things happen. I can remember the thing happening (usually in detail), but sometimes I will remember doing a thing before I have actually done it too, so it can be confusing.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Dec 2022, 8:12 am

Yes, I have no sense of time at all - including the micro scale, like I don't know when to start moving my arm to hit the ball when it's in the right place.
Like, I'm lacking some sense other people seem to have.

But I do have a sense of rythm. For me, it's something entirely different than sense of time.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2022, 8:22 am

magz wrote:
Yes, I have no sense of time at all - including the micro scale, like I don't know when to start moving my arm to hit the ball when it's in the right place.
Like, I'm lacking some sense other people seem to have.

But I do have a sense of rythm. For me, it's something entirely different than sense of time.

Growing up I was always told I had no rhythm, and since then have not attempted to dance (may be motor skill related). I'm pretty good with rhythm when playing the piano or making music I think, even if it takes a while for me to figure out, but I can't READ rhythm on sheet music for the life of me. I have to have heard the song before in order to play it.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 10:23 am

This is an interesting link.
Do you know who else does not know time.
It is PETER PAN.

Peter lives his whole life without a sense of time.

The interesting thing is Peter Pan is real. He is a little different type of human, a right dominant brain.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 10:27 am

I'm certainly not very good at sensing the passage of time. I'm often surprised when I look at a clock. These days I often don't know what day of the week it is. I think that's because now I'm retired I don't often have to know, having very few appointments to keep. When I had a job, obviously I had to know whether or not it was the weekend, and how close I was to Friday was a matter of great importance to me. I've only ever been vaguely aware of the date.

But if it was so easy for other people to sense these things, they'd not have invented clocks and calendars. So maybe I'm not unusual. I've never taken part in a time-sensing competition.

attendingman
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Dec 2022, 10:40 am

I have no idea what your talking about

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 10:46 am

I sometimes will struggle with passage of time. It seems like time passes very differently for me than it does for the neurotypical people that I know. I am glad you started this thread because I am curious if many Autistic people experience time differently than non Autistic people.

Wreck It Ralph

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2022, 11:04 am

skibum wrote:
I sometimes will struggle with passage of time. It seems like time passes very differently for me than it does for the neurotypical people that I know. I am glad you started this thread because I am curious if many Autistic people experience time differently than non Autistic people.

I just learned there is a concept called time blindness but it seems to be associated more with ADHD. I also heard autism and ADHD can be considered on a similar spectrum but these days I'm finding myself associating more with the symptoms of ADHD than anything.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 2:23 pm

I frequently forget which season it is. I mix up autumn and spring a lot since they're similar weather, but it's also happened with summer / winter if I'm indoors. Sunlight or cloud through a window doesn't mean much unless I walk up to the window to look at the ground for dead grass / green grass. It's a momentary lapse and I can always figure out the season if I think about it, but it does happen.

Month: Yes, sometimes I forget the month briefly.

Date: I get the teen numbers mixed up. I usually know when it's 1st-10th (ish), but after that it all a blur until around the 21st.

Day of Week: I never have a clue, except that weekends feel like weekends (I hate weekends). I have to check my laptop clock to know what day it is.

Time: I'm not great at guessing the actual time, but I can tell time elapsed fairly well.

Passage of Time: I can usually remember the exact date things happened in my long term memory. Give me a date from the past and I can recall something from that date. Strange, since I never even know what day it is.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 2:27 pm

usagibryan wrote:
skibum wrote:

I just learned there is a concept called time blindness but it seems to be associated more with ADHD. I also heard autism and ADHD can be considered on a similar spectrum but these days I'm finding myself associating more with the symptoms of ADHD than anything.

Oh wow! That is so interesting. I will definitely research that. Thank you!

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 2:28 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I frequently forget which season it is. I mix up autumn and spring a lot since they're similar weather, but it's also happened with summer / winter if I'm indoors. Sunlight or cloud through a window doesn't mean much unless I walk up to the window to look at the ground for dead grass / green grass. It's a momentary lapse and I can always figure out the season if I think about it, but it does happen.

Month: Yes, sometimes I forget the month briefly.

Date: I get the teen numbers mixed up. I usually know when it's 1st-10th (ish), but after that it all a blur until around the 21st.

Day of Week: I never have a clue, except that weekends feel like weekends (I hate weekends). I have to check my laptop clock to know what day it is.

Time: I'm not great at guessing the actual time, but I can tell time elapsed fairly well.

Passage of Time: I can usually remember the exact date things happened in my long term memory. Give me a date from the past and I can recall something from that date. Strange, since I never even know what day it is.
That is interesting. It sounds like it could be a form of dyslexia or something like that.

Wreck It Ralph

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2022, 4:25 pm

I'll forget to have lunch every now and then.

Yet, I seem to intuitively know when the microwave is about to be finished.

Why those two things seem food connected, I'm not sure :)

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 10:03 am

Plenty of people are bad at guessing time. Otherwise they are just impatient

Some customers demand that I get them what they want as fast as they think I could do it. For example, a customer made me get the barbeque key. The customer did not know that only the manager has a key, there's only one manager, the manager could be anywhere in the building and I have to go around looking for the manager

At least the key was not in a merchandise

Those lil dipshits act like they are always in a hurry and I am getting in their way

Entitled lil as*holes