A lot easier to find love if your gay?

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Dec 2022, 6:18 pm

The sun doesn’t rise.

The earth rotates.

I just thought I’d point that out since this thread is already off topic.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 6:19 pm

I just don't feel that relaying statistics is going to help a person who is having trouble finding love. What helps is the notion that they are worthy human beings, too, and deserve, as much as an NT, to find love and satisfaction.

I am autistic. I know what "alienation" feels like. I guess I've been lucky. I've been able, many times, to "get in the side door." I wouldn't have been successful had I followed a conventional path towards finding love and finding employment.

The key, I believe, is finding that "side door." The Civil Service was my "side door."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 6:22 pm

It "rises" from the perception of a person who lives on Earth.

Of course, the Earth rotates on its axis. And regions of the Earth change their position relative to the Sun through this daily rotation cycle. The Earth rotates once completely on its axis in almost 24 hours.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 13 Dec 2022, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 6:22 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Where do they get those stats?
What about undiagnosed men who have kids?
Seems to me most men who get diagnosed as adults, do so because they have trouble dating.
That would skew the results.

(The ones who don't have trouble dating / being married don't necessarily bother getting assessed.)

Also were you queried in that study?
Were any of the men here interviewed?

It seems to me it can't be comprehensive.

Gawd. Do you also have doubts that 'water is wet' too?

I would guess that NT gay men marry more women and sire more kids than do straight autistic men.

A population of people who's most outstanding trait is social ineptitude are not going to do well in the dating game. That kinda self evident I would think.

Where are you coming from? Why is something as obvious as 'water being wet' so hard for you to accept as being likely to be true?

Whoa. Sorry, bro.

I'm not disputing anyone or anything. I really have no clue whether autistic men have more kids or fewer kids. Kids can be born out of wedlock. Men might not even know they have kids. People can be undiagnosed. People can be excluded from the study. Also, is it worldwide? Is it throughout history or just current times? My brain is detail-oriented so when I asked those questions they were sincere. I wasn't trying to dispute anyone. I'm interested in research methods because I'm retired from a career in research.

Beyond that there's a question of why, whether it's genetic (infertility), social (lack of opportunity), or even economic (can't afford kids) -- although I admit economic is more of a stretch.

I know from my own genetic profile that the genes which caused my autism also cause clotting disorders and a high rate of miscarriage. I had a miscarriage, I had a very difficult pregnancy (with haemorrhage and premature birth), and I have many blood clotting disorders which have caused strokes. I know my genetics likely make me less fertile or able to have children than people without my genetics. It was the same for the autistic people on my dad's side of the family who had blood clotting disorders, premature babies, and miscarriages or still birth. I don't know if it's the same for men, and of course it's not all autistic men / women either because not all of them have my genetic profile.

As for social -- I know a lot of men on here who have children. My dad clearly had children. My brother had a bio child but it was aborted against his will. I just don't want men thinking they can't have kids for biological reasons, or likewise that no one will love them enough to procreate.

Blame my critical brain for wanting the statistics defined. I wasn't criticising whoever posted it. (I don't even remember who it was.)

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2022, 6:25 pm

Nades wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It does rise in the east.

Maybe it's true that autistic people, on average, have less children than non-autistic people. But I don't believe it has anything to do with their biology. It has to do with many factors other than biology. It might be biology if there is a co-morbid chromosomal disorder associated with their autism.

Therefore, when I, as an autistic person, read the results of these studies, I don't go by them. They are irrelevant to me.

I wish people would not believe that autistic people are "defective" in some way, because they are allegedly "less fertile" than non-autistic people.

This is the crux of the problem----this assumption of "defectiveness." An assumption that people with autism are genetically "defective." I am NOT genetically defective. I would be proud to pass my genes over to any kid I create with my woman.

Autism is certainly a defect though. I wouldn't want to have kids on the off chance it'll be autistic and have to endure a life of feeling alienated from society and not being able to feel connected with anyone.

How are we honestly going to improve our lives when we can't even admit the barriers in our way and the problems that have caused them?

(not looking at you) But it gets tiring when people here post about the barriers and hurdles autism have caused them on the dating market and then being immediately invalidated by people saying these problems don't exist and speaking of them might offend others on the forum who are having bigger issues with dating.

This is a theme that keeps rearing it's head here in L&D and the threads just turn into waffling drivel which doesn't even make any sense.

That's my biggest pet peeve with a few autistic guys. They don't acknowledge that there is a problem lies within them and just blame the world instead of trying to do something about it. People aren't going to change to suit their needs, unless they are willing to put some work into themselves first. Regardless of sexual preferences

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 6:29 pm

I remember being on a video call with two gay men and a straight man. The straight guy remarked that he would have an easier time if he were gay. We all fell silent for a moment and then there was laughter. It can be fairly tricky to find love when you're gay since the dating pool is significantly smaller. You need to network. Plus there are factors such as homophobia (how can I find out if this person is gay without unintentionally offending them? What if it's unsafe to do so? Do I have an escape plan? How can I ask without directly asking? What if they're not out and want to keep it a secret?) His question was especially tone deaf as one of the gay men had recently been attacked at the time.

A friend of mine is a gay man. He has a tricky time with dating. Men tend to treat him poorly. People sometimes question his identity as a gay man because he isn't that interested in hook-ups. Much to his annoyance.

I knew a bisexual ADHD autistic guy who was very popular with the women and the men. To point where I was the only one in the group who hadn't dated or slept with him. However, the group was heavily neurodivergent and LGBT so that skewed things. Statistically, I guess he should've had a trickier time, but the group was mainly filled with people that either had ADHD, autism or both. I didn't even set out to find such a group, I just unintentionally ended up there. One time we were having a conversation and someone mentioned being neurotypical-passing and I was sat there thinking 'Wait, hold on, you as well? What's going on here?' (I think I'm just oblivious :lol: ).

Last edited by Lost_dragon on 13 Dec 2022, 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Dec 2022, 6:30 pm

Kraftiekortie,

Sorry. I wasn’t responding to you, I just felt the need to provide the expected argument because I thought it was funny.

I have no idea how to increase your odds of finding love or if any orientation gives you better chances. Maybe being attracted to women improves your chances as you age because there are more older women than older men? Bisexuality increases your options? I went with “be female, find a straight guy who is miserable and make him happy. Do this while you are both young and get married and have kids before it occurs to him that you might not be the only person in the world who can make him happy and in fact other people might be easier to live with”.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 6:33 pm

In sum, it might be easier for a gay man to obtain sexual experiences-----but it's certainly not easier for a gay man to obtain a lasting, quality relationship; in fact, it's probably more difficult.

For a gay woman, in general, it's much more difficult to obtain both sexual experiences and lasting, quality relationships than heterosexual people.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 6:40 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
I remember being on a video call with two gay men and a straight man. The straight guy remarked that he would have an easier time if he were gay. We all fell silent for a moment and then there was laughter. It can be fairly tricky to find love when you're gay since the dating pool is significantly smaller. You need to network. Plus there are factors such as homophobia (how can I find out if this person is gay without unintentionally offending them? What if it's unsafe to do so? Do I have an escape plan? How can I ask without directly asking? What if they're not out and want to keep it a secret?) His question was especially tone deaf as one of the gay men had recently been attacked at the time.

A friend of mine is a gay man. He has a tricky time with dating. Men tend to treat him poorly. People sometimes question his identity as a gay man because he isn't that interested in hook-ups. Much to his annoyance.

Great answer. ^

I spent 20 years dating three gay men, and watching them transition into gay culture. One is my best friend so I still hear the commentary. My daughter is gay and trying to find her way with relationships. It's very difficult, especially when the world is set up with hetero expectations, and family members either a) introduce you to every gay person they know, thinking that's all that matters, or b) deny your preference and shame you, or introduce you to opposite-sex people. It's hard to find partners when the available pool is smaller and not readily identified. It's similar to the way life is set up for Neurotypical people, and everyone assumes we're all neurotypical.

I can imagine that being gay and ND can leave some people feeling very marginalised, especially in small towns or rural villages. Add in politics and social judgement, and it's even more challenging.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 7:18 pm

amykitten wrote:
Nades wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It does rise in the east.

Maybe it's true that autistic people, on average, have less children than non-autistic people. But I don't believe it has anything to do with their biology. It has to do with many factors other than biology. It might be biology if there is a co-morbid chromosomal disorder associated with their autism.

Therefore, when I, as an autistic person, read the results of these studies, I don't go by them. They are irrelevant to me.

I wish people would not believe that autistic people are "defective" in some way, because they are allegedly "less fertile" than non-autistic people.

This is the crux of the problem----this assumption of "defectiveness." An assumption that people with autism are genetically "defective." I am NOT genetically defective. I would be proud to pass my genes over to any kid I create with my woman.

Autism is certainly a defect though. I wouldn't want to have kids on the off chance it'll be autistic and have to endure a life of feeling alienated from society and not being able to feel connected with anyone.

How are we honestly going to improve our lives when we can't even admit the barriers in our way and the problems that have caused them?

(not looking at you) But it gets tiring when people here post about the barriers and hurdles autism have caused them on the dating market and then being immediately invalidated by people saying these problems don't exist and speaking of them might offend others on the forum who are having bigger issues with dating.

This is a theme that keeps rearing it's head here in L&D and the threads just turn into waffling drivel which doesn't even make any sense.

That's my biggest pet peeve with a few autistic guys. They don't acknowledge that there is a problem lies within them and just blame the world instead of trying to do something about it. People aren't going to change to suit their needs, unless they are willing to put some work into themselves first. Regardless of sexual preferences

Level of agreement 100%.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 7:21 pm

Jamesy wrote:
A Lot Easier To Find Love If Your Gay?

You seem like a happy person. Happy people flock together. From your stories it sounds like you've missed some opportunities already, so I'm sure more will come your way.

:lol: :lmao:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 7:26 pm

I bet every person over a certain age has "missed opportunities." I certainly have missed my share....

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 7:35 pm

Jamesy wrote:
DanielW wrote:
No. Relationships of any sort all require effort. What makes you think it would be easier?

I don't know maybe a man might be more tolerant of social awkwardness plus more likely to initiate things.

I once had a guy in a nightclub come up to me and give me a big kiss.

A kiss does not a relationship make - I've been kissed by a random stranger more than once...Men and women (Apparently I look like a lot of people from the back).

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 7:52 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

I can imagine that being gay and ND can leave some people feeling very marginalised, especially in small towns or rural villages. Add in politics and social judgement, and it's even more challenging.

As someone from a small town, I can confirm as much. It's not impossible but it's difficult and usually involves travelling. Definitely easier in the city though. I think you need to know where to look. For instance, there's a gay bar in a city near me but it's no good. However, there's an underground bar that's lesser known which isn't officially a gay bar, but it has enough of a gay scene that it's a pretty good spot to hang out. Word gets around. I know a couple of indie / punk spots that are quite popular within the community. Niche but surprisingly popular. I might have a date coming up, so here's hoping, but if not then oh well. My plan is to move to the city. I don't like living in a small town.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 9:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I just don't feel that relaying statistics is going to help a person who is having trouble finding love.

Other than, perhaps, to help them realize that they need a "side door" (as you described it later on in your post) rather than "front door" methods such as today's dating apps or meeting people in bars.

kraftiekortie wrote:
What helps is the notion that they are worthy human beings, too, and deserve, as much as an NT, to find love and satisfaction.

That's important. But even more important is discovering an effective (for oneself) "side door" strategy. As you wrote below:

kraftiekortie wrote:
I am autistic. I know what "alienation" feels like. I guess I've been lucky. I've been able, many times, to "get in the side door." I wouldn't have been successful had I followed a conventional path towards finding love and finding employment.

The key, I believe, is finding that "side door." The Civil Service was my "side door."

The Civil Service was your "side door" for finding employment. What were your "side doors" for finding relationships?

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 3:36 pm

Dating is easier for attractive people regardless of their sexual orientation. If you're consistently ranked an 8+ on the 1/10 looksscale, then it doesn't matter if you're gay, straight, bisexual, etc... Finding partners shouldn't be too difficult.