Cambridge Dictionary changes definition of ‘man’ and ‘woman’

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 2:55 pm

I don't know anyone who is hostile to autistic people unless the autistic person or the hater is an ahole, unless they don't understand why they're different, or unless they're so narcissistic that they think all people have to be the same.

Likewise, I don't know why anyone would defend the perpetuation of hostility toward any group, on the basis that "hostility exists elsewhere so it must be alright." Stupid is as stupid does -- is no excuse in my books.

I choose not to copy behaviours that I don't like.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 3:06 pm

Meh, I hate every. single. human. with equal contempt but there are a few exceptions. The few family and friends I have who I know are worth loving and caring about because for one thing they're not so quick to judge me.

Also I could care less about this whole gender thing. This is probably going to piss certain people off about me but I do believe there are only two real biological genders that people are assigned with at birth. That does not mean I'm prejudice or hostile against transgender people, they have the right to be whatever they want to be as long as they aren't hurting anybody.

Now please don't "cancel" me for my honest opinion. Not that there's anything for me to lose by being canceled. :jester:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 4:46 pm

My only point of my posting this is that it marks a watershed in gender identity and school education.

Cambridge dictionary is usually considered the benchmark so MAGA parents trying to hide this stuff from their kids (along with racial history among other things) have lost the battle as you can't ban English dictionaries from schools.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 4:48 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Why can’t we realize that most people will be in accord with their birth sex, and respect those who don’t feel they are in accord with their birth sex.

The people who fear an "invasion" of gender-neutral people have no need to fear.

We should just respect people's choices, even if we don't agree with them.

Is Non-Binary a choice?

Quote:
The people who fear an "invasion" of gender-neutral people have no need to fear.

I think this is how the vast majority of people feel. We fear gender will become a thing of the past just because of a minority of people who don't want to be a gender for whatever reason like gender is a bad thing.
I went through a phase of not being comfortable in a female body, and I don't meet all the gender stereotypes now, but God (or, as an atheist, nature) made me a female so even if I don't feel it or don't want to be, I am still a female because I have female organs.
You can feel genderless on the inside if you want but on the outside you are either one gender or the other, and sometimes situations arise where you have no choice but to admit your gender, like for certain medical reasons, so it's just a matter of simplicity.

Just my thoughts. I'm not mocking anyone, I'm not spreading hate against anyone, I'm just being honest.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 4:59 pm

Joe90 wrote:
You can feel genderless on the inside if you want but on the outside you are either one gender or the other, =.

Not anymore

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 5:47 pm

I work at a college which has a lot of this sort of activism.

The vast majority of people identify as either a "he" or a "she."

I only know one person who wants to be identified as "they." Out of hundreds.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2022, 2:34 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I work at a college which has a lot of this sort of activism.

The vast majority of people identify as either a "he" or a "she."

I only know one person who wants to be identified as "they." Out of hundreds.

I work in a university and a lot of the staff use he/she to identify themselves