“The Fabelmans” movie, and low or high horizon [spoiler]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 6:37 pm

The film is semi-autobiographic of Steven Spielberg? ?

seems that way to me

He had a weird family growing up. Plus, the main character faced bullying in high school centered around the fact that he was Jewish, but really I think because he was quirky, awkward, smart, and at times confident.

Okay, the spoiler:

At the very end, the young man meets director John Ford, who has him look at a couple of paintings in his office, one of them being this:

Ford said, If the horizon is at the top, it’s interesting. If it’s at the bottom, it’s interesting. But if the horizon is in the middle, it’s boring as sh*t.

What an interesting art device to have fun with! :D

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2023, 11:35 am

I LOVED that part at the end. I saw it the setup, which made me smile but then there is that little jerk of the camera and I laughed out loud. I was the only one in the theater.

Look up Steven's entry in Wikipedia and you will think "am I reading the plot to The Fablemans?"

I'm sure this film will be nominated for an Oscar and I'm torn because I just watched The Menu and that is a really well acted, put together film. My son and his mom saw it a week or so ago, and I expected something horrific. It had it's moment of tension, but I found it more funny than horrific. It has sad moments too.

I enjoyed The Fablemans too. This had, in my opinion, first rate character acting. Everyone was great. As a comparison, watch Roger Corman's The Pit and the Pendulum. It does not have first rate acting. Roger is not a HORRIBLE director, but Steven is exceptional. I enjoyed the scene where Sammy Fableman is directing, and I wondered if that is what Steven is like directing?

AND ! !! That is really nice that you found an image of the high horizon painting.
And I loved the fact that Ford was played by David Lynch. I was trying to figure out who was playing John Ford, and then after the longest time, he spoke and I realized it as David Lynch. Fun.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 6:55 pm

The Fablemans received 7 Oscar nominations including Best Picture and Best Director for Steven Spielberg.

I will try to see this soon and will give my opinion.

Off Topic
Fun Fact: At one point, Steven Spielberg was all set to direct Mozart and the Whale as a comedic vehicle for Robin Williams, but was unable to convince any studio to give him the greenlight to do it.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 12:15 pm

Okay, the camping trip . . .

And the mother dancing in front of the lights in her thin gown. It was both art, and sexy. And therein lies some tension.

For a while, the son was obsessed with her relationship with Benny. Maybe the Oedipus Complex [to the extent that’s viewed as even true these days!], and/or that the son Sammy felt personally betrayed that she was most probably cheating. And mid-to-late in the movie, this led to a whole series of tense plot steps.

The mother was probably bipolar. Not that there’s anything wrong with this! :D But it does make her hard to live with.