University of Missouri creating a hostile environment

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 5:50 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
The first job of a university is to prepare students for the adult world. That world is full of stress and bigots.

In the real world bigotry is not tolerated anymore.

Officially.

What has changed is how it is expressed. So you can't use the N-Word but cyberbully away. It's always situational since Trump there way way more open expressions of bigotry that people have to deal with. Kayne West had to have a full meltdown before he got more than "Bad Kanye".

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 8:07 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
What has changed is how it is expressed. So you can't use the N-Word but cyberbully away. It's always situational since Trump there way way more open expressions of bigotry that people have to deal with. Kayne West had to have a full meltdown before he got more than "Bad Kanye".

It's just a hop, skip and a jump from cracking jokes to becoming a cyberbully, When students like Ms Miller post racist memes on her social media she is quite aware her words cause people harm. They become grown adults who think its normal to join in attacking people online.

Again it's not very pleasant. Erstwhile normal people who become psychopaths online telling victimised people to kill themselves. or in the case of Ms Miller joking that it was a pity more black students didn't die.

This is where racist bigots (like Ms Miller) have a lot in common with cyberbullies who take aim at vulnerable people (kids with no friends, marganilised groups) and enjoy inflicting pain.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 1:13 am

that "ms miller" clown isn't even original in her joke, that was invented by john tracht, aka "the greaseman" in DC rock radio station WWDC, who got fired for the same joke 40 years ago. if he can get fired, ms. miller can get expelled.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 1:27 am

auntblabby wrote:
that "ms miller" clown isn't even original in her joke, that was invented by john tracht, aka "the greaseman" in DC rock radio station WWDC, who got fired for the same joke 40 years ago. if he can get fired, ms. miller can get expelled.

Same "joke", not at all the same situation. Unlike the Univerity Of Missouri WWDC is a private company thus no free speech issue.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 1:29 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Same "joke", not at all the same situation. Unlike the Univerity Of Missouri WWDC is a private company thus no free speech issue.

at the same time, ms miller should at least be sanctioned somehow for disturbing the peace.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 1:46 am

auntblabby wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

at the same time, ms miller should at least be sanctioned somehow for disturbing the peace.

Disturbing the Peace
Quote:
Disturbing the peace, also known as breach of the peace, is a criminal offense that occurs when a person engages in some form of unruly public behavior, such as fighting or causing excessively loud noise. When a person's words or conduct jeopardizes another person's right to peace and tranquility, he or she may be charged with disturbing the peace.

Laws exist that make it a crime to create a public disruption or commotion. These laws vary from state to state, but they typically prohibit:

Fighting or challenging someone to fight in a public place;
Using offensive words in a public place likely to incite violence;
Shouting in a public place intending to incite violence or unlawful activity;
Bullying a student on or near school grounds;
Knocking loudly on hotel doors of sleeping guests with the purpose of annoying them;
Holding an unlawful public assembly;
Shouting profanities out of a car window in front of a person's home over an extended period of time;
Allowing excessive dog barking in a residential area; and
Intentionally playing loud music during the night that continues, even after a fair warning.

In most states, the person's conduct must have been on purpose (willful) or with bad intent (malicious).

To determine guilt, courts look at the particular circumstances of each case. Some of the factors a judge may consider include the location, time, place, words, actions, and the person spoken to or touched (for example, a police officer, teacher, student, relative or passerby).

Disturbing the peace is a misdemeanor criminal offense. Depending on the jurisdiction, violators could face some jail time, fines, or alternative sentences such as community service. First time offenders may be able to avoid jail time depending on the circumstances of their cases.

Bolding=mine
Once again Ms. MAGA did not direct her post at a specific person or persons.
While we all think her post was willful and malicious, prosecutors have to prove that. We think that is not evidence.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 2:56 am

so is she gonna be allowed to show her @$$ to the rest of the student population forever?

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Dec 2022, 4:21 am

auntblabby wrote:
so is she gonna be allowed to show her @$$ to the rest of the student population forever?

I don't think she is planning on mooning anyone.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 4:52 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Once again Ms. MAGA did not direct her post at a specific person or persons..

On it's own it might be her only defence...but, she also said she wanted to see more black kids die + she also celebrated Kyle Rittenhouse killing people

This would indicate intent to cause harm

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 7:41 am

TwisterUprocker wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

soory, that is southern slang for being offensive to somebody.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 9:39 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Once again Ms. MAGA did not direct her post at a specific person or persons..

On it's own it might be her only defence...but, she also said she wanted to see more black kids die + she also celebrated Kyle Rittenhouse killing people

This would indicate intent to cause harm

It might be her only one but unless there is other evidence it will probably be the decisive one.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 9:40 am

auntblabby wrote:
TwisterUprocker wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

soory, that is southern slang for being offensive to somebody.

I did not know that.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 2:52 pm

Auntblabby is good for all kinds of slang over the years here , He probably at least once has referred to Uni of Missou
as a intitution of Higher Education.. :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are