There are people who think reindeer are fictional

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Redpaws
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2022, 2:38 pm

Trueno wrote:
I believe reindeer can be quite tasty, too. Never tried it myself.
I've eaten reindeer in the form of a rissole-alike food. It was okay, but that's about it IMO.

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2022, 3:03 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Santa was originally a tiny elf. Fat, but tiny. Smaller than a bowling ball. And his reindeer are also 'tiny' miniatures, on top of being able to fly. But both morphed into normal human and animal sized over the years.

Yes, and there were originally just eight reindeer. Rudolph with the glowing red nose was added as a ninth reindeer later.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2022, 5:55 pm

I read that in North America, wild reindeer are called caribou, but if they're domesticated they're called reindeer.

In most deer species only the males have antlers, but both male and female reindeer have antlers. I read somewhere that the males shed their antlers earlier in the winter than the females. That must mean Santa's reindeer are all girls. :)

I know there are different species of deer in North America because I've seen them at the wildlife park.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2022, 7:47 pm

Yes indeed.  Reindeer are very, very real.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 7:53 am

That reminds me of a story a woman sent into Radio 1. She moved to London from the Isle of Whyte and had never seen a badger before. She thought they were mystical animals in story books.

One night she was walking home and met a badger. She thought she was tripping and climbed up a tree to get away from it. But nope that badger was real and it wouldn't go away. I think she was stuck up the tree freaking out for about an hour before the badger went away. :lol:

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 9:39 am

naturalplastic wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
I didn't know this, so I did some googling. Apparently caribous and reindeers are different types of deers, the one mentioned first often being larger than reindeers. But according to wikipedia, North Americans sometimes use the word caribou when talking about wild deers in general, so maybe they're the same thing in that sense?

No, North Americans DO NOT refer to all wild deer as caribou. That's inaccurate. There are various different species of wild deer. Caribou refers to reindeer.

Correct. Caribou are up in Canada and Alaska. Down here in the lower 48, the main deer is white tail deer. Nobody refers to them as 'caribou'. When its deer hunting season they talk about shooting deer, or 'white tails'. No one utters the word 'caribou'.

Huh, is that so... guess I should've checked the English page for the subject; that might've given more accurate information.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 10:45 am

hurtloam wrote:
That reminds me of a story a woman sent into Radio 1. She moved to London from the Isle of Whyte and had never seen a badger before. She thought they were mystical animals in story books.

One night she was walking home and met a badger. She thought she was tripping and climbed up a tree to get away from it. But nope that badger was real and it wouldn't go away. I think she was stuck up the tree freaking out for about an hour before the badger went away. :lol:

Gosh. She must have taken LSD when she was younger, and thought she was having a "flashback". I admit that badgers are striking looking (with their stripes) but its not like theyre unicorns (really mythical looking).

Years ago I got into a conversation with my cab driver (here in the washington DC area) about his youthful dropping acid. He loved it, but then got bored with it. Years later he traveled from another city to visit his girl friend here in the DC area, and arriving ...immediately broke down and cried because ...he told his gf that he had just had 'an LSD flashback on the road". She was riveted with concern as he described the 'hallucination'. "I a saw this white temple building rising out of the dark... with pointed gold spires...and an angel with gold trumpet on top of each spire...".

She suddenly through her head back, and started laughing her ass off. Pissed off he demanded "whats so funny!".

Very visible from the Washington Beltway...I cant totally blame him for thinking that. :lol:

https://youtu.be/K_eACDXsw2g

Last edited by naturalplastic on 17 Dec 2022, 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2022, 10:46 am

Well, yes, reindeer are not an animal that people ordinarily see at zoos. Most people who don't live in areas of the world where reindeer live have probably never seen a reindeer in real life.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 11:26 am

Well...when I was a kid - had a excessive aspie obsession with animals, and a normal obsession with TV cartoons.

For a number of years I assumed that "the Tasmanian Devil" was something made up by Warner Brothers Cartoons.

But then, while still a child...I saw an actual photo of a "Tasmanian devil" in a coffee table book about world wildlife. It resembled the cartoon character about as much as most human politicians resemble how they look in political cartoons...not much...but yeah...they are real creatures. :lol:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 11:44 am

You've got to love humans, so many of them believe ghosts, demons, zombies and vampires really exist but they think many real live animals are fictional. :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 7:17 am

There is a Caribou, Maine—but I doubt there are actual caribou near there.

Never seen a highway sign saying “Caribou Crossing.”