Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2022, 3:58 am

Anyone else sick of these rich elites dictating to the little people about climate change while flying around in their private jets and not caring about their own carbon footprint?

Here in the UK its freezing at the moment and people are being sent huge electricity & gas bills they cant pay, its no minor thing either in some cases people are being charged nearly a month`s take home pay (for some people) every quarter, in my case what used to be an afterthought - paying gas & electric, its now eating any left over i had pushing me into poverty.

Elderly people will die, those who cant work like disabled and unemployed will be absolutely ruined.

In fact I'm not exaggerating when i say i don't know how anyone on welfare or low income will be able to live normally anymore in the UK?

Many people are saying we cant go on like this, i wouldn't be surprised if there were riots over this like the 80`s poll tax.

I know this is partly caused by the war in Ukraine and inflation, but still think much of this is caused by the EU & gov green agenda.

Even if man made global warming was true carbon usage should not be based on the ability to pay. Either give everyone a yearly quota of carbon points that they can use how they wish & when its gone its gone.

No more helicopter trips by our peado prince to his golf club, while his brother lectures us on how we need to make cut backs.

We`ll then see how long our elite keep talking about climate change

- George Bernie Shaw

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Dec 2022, 4:27 am

What puzzles me the most is why many of those "save climate" organizations also furiously oppose nuclear energy - an existing, viable solution that could readily buy us some 100 years of low carbon emissions before we invent something better.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2022, 5:20 am

magz wrote:
What puzzles me the most is why many of those "save climate" organizations also furiously oppose nuclear energy - an existing, viable solution that could readily buy us some 100 years of low carbon emissions before we invent something better.

Probably because of Chernobyl and Fukushima although the former was caused by criminal incompetence and the latter freak accident, but i guess it still lives in the minds of the decision makers.

What annoys me is the UK is not really a big industrial economy, there is little heavy industry here. The UK economy is really mostly property, finance & retail, compared to China or US in places, most people here drive modern cars with restricted emissions that are checked each year by law as part of the car MOT test.

So our carbon footprint is minimal compared to China or US

Yet the way they talk as if we all need to go without because of our footprint but no such burdens are placed on the 1.4 billion Chinese population who build coal power plants every month or so or the US that drive 5 litre petrol SUV`s everywhere that they pay little to run or still have heavy industry.

- George Bernie Shaw

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Dec 2022, 5:41 am

The fact that UK does not have plants locally should not make a difference - we should look at carbon print of all the imports.
Otherwise - which, I believe, is done a lot in Europe, not just carbon, but also e.g. workers' rights - you make restrictive regulations in your country and then outsource all your production to countries that happily ignore all your concerns.
Though, actually, Chinese emissions per capita aren't particularily high. China and India take climate seriously because monsoon shifts affect them very directly, it's countable $$ for them.

I do care for climate and various other things but we need to adress them in productive ways, not sweep them to someone else's backyard.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2022, 7:57 am

Not only climate change, elite hypocrisy(“Do what I say, not what I do”) is involved in many areas such as COVID mitigation measures.

And people are noticing, that is why wokeness and nationalism are so popular.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2022, 10:03 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Not only climate change, elite hypocrisy(“Do what I say, not what I do”) is involved in many areas such as COVID mitigation measures.

And people are noticing, that is why wokeness and nationalism are so popular.

I think wokeness is supported by the elite to annoy and divide people that would otherwise get along ok.

Sure there are some problems like racism among some US cops but these things are just magnified to put everyone against each other while rich elite continue to thieve and get away with all sorts of corruption.

I think the global warming push is looking like just another tool to tax & control ordinary people as its disproportionately impacts poorer people who ironically have the smallest carbon footprint.

If they gave everyone the same carbon quota that impacted the lifestyle choices of the rich and powerful they would soon start talking about something else.

- George Bernie Shaw

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2022, 1:10 pm

The Greens are naturally likely to have misgivings about nuclear power because it only takes one bad accident and then there's not going to be much green left. Green ideology isn't just about carbon. But as carbon seems to be looming as the main threat these days, there's some evidence that they're beginning to soften their traditional approach:

https://www.euractiv.com/section/politi ... ar-energy/

The world isn't likely to adopt my preferred solutions to climate change. I think there'd be less of a carbon problem if everybody was forced to be as frugal as I am, but that's not going to fly in a consumerist society. Another idea is to reverse the energy charging policy so that people get their first x units of energy cheap and then pay progressively more for anything above that. It's unfair on poor people who can't afford to insulate their homes, so something would also have to be done about that. Personally I'd prefer direct, large subsidies on the price of insulation rather than making people jump through hoops to apply for grants. And as soon as cost is mentioned, there's the question of who pays for it, and we have the question of equality.

I think when these potential catastrophes come along there's always an argument about how egalitarian the fix should be, but most politicians aren't highly egalitarian and they'll probably get their way. It'll be interesting to see if they accidentally push the public far enough into poverty to cause mass insurrection. My guess is that they'll redistribute just enough to keep the lid on it and no more.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Dec 2022, 2:26 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
The Greens are naturally likely to have misgivings about nuclear power because it only takes one bad accident and then there's not going to be much green left.
I know of two bad accidents and quite a lot of green is still around.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2022, 2:39 pm

The area around Chernobyl is pretty green, though it's too radioactive to live around there.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Dec 2022, 3:03 pm

I think it's important to be clear. Who, specifically, are the rich elites dictating to the little people about climate change while flying around in their private jets? Often complaints like this seem to be attacking the idea of hypocritical sanctimonious rich elites, rather than the reality of such-and-such a person actually behaving in such-and-such a way.

The UK doesn't have a carbon tax unfortunately, and renewable electricity is actually cheaper than electricity from fossil fuels. So you're wide of the mark by blaming "the government's green agenda". If anything, the "green agenda" is the only reason why bills aren't even higher.

I also think it's plainly wrong to say that nobody says Americans or Chinese people should cut their carbon emissions. That's probably the one thing that literally everyone agrees upon! Both of those countries have some merits when it comes to cutting emissions - the misleadingly named Inflation Reduction Act will build a lot of clean energy infrastructure in the US, and China is the world leader at building renewable electricity capacity (of course, as you say, it is also the world leader at building coal plants).

Finally, I'm not sure it is the mainstream view that working-class British people need to "do without" in order to fight climate change. Environmentalists don't think pensioners should be freezing to death in their homes! Generally, if you look at even some pretty extreme groups like Extinction Rebellion, they focus a lot on big businesses, particularly oil companies and banks, and they demand much more insulation of homes. In my experience, consensus among people in this field is that we probably need rich people to stop flying so much, stop going on so many cruises, and live in smaller houses like the rest of us. We also need people to drive electric cars, or take the bus, and eat less meat, particularly beef (but poor people already tend to eat less than rich people). People need to avoid waste, yes, but not endure hardship - technology will allow us to live largely similar lives.