Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

LaraK
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Dec 2022, 11:24 am

Hi, I don't have Autism but I do have ADHD, and I started to be more open about it since the second year of my diagnosis(I feel like it's helpful for those to know). However, my friends keep making jokes about it and how I act. Then everyone else in my group laughs at me and I laugh it off too. It was funny at first when it was just the little things like spacing out and laughing at something stupid I forgot but now it's getting out of hand. For example one day in the locker room I forgot my pants two days in a row and I was joking with my friend when she yelled to everyone "K forgot her pants!". It was really embarrassing but I didn't say anything about it because I don't know how to bring it up. I know I joke about how I act a lot and it's funny for me. But now that I've told everyone else, they're poking fun at it too. I really wish I hadn't told any of my friends, just my teachers.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2022, 1:11 am

I'm going to assume that you are in middle or high school just by the way your friends are acting(or recently got into college right out of high school). My advice is to tell your friends firmly that the jokes they are making are not funny and actually hurt. If that doesn't work then you most likely will have to leave that circle and find a new set of friends(easier said than done I know but, what else are you going to do?). At this point you're gonna have to do damage control. Most likely you will have to either shrug it off and take some hits to the chin until it dies down and blows over or you can try and get help from your school counselor, a teacher, your parent(s), etc. If they are truly your friends they will understand that it hurts and will probably stop(in time) just have to wait a while as this would be new information to them and as children it's harder to process these things than adults(though adults don't do that much better of a job).

I do hope things go well for you and wish you the best of luck!

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."