Does Anyone Else Have Too Many Hobbies?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2022, 8:56 am

I have too many hobbies, or at least things I want to try or learn. I spent years learning Japanese but never became fluent and jumped around with languages. I want to learn Japanese or Chinese calligraphy. I've tried teaching myself programming on and off with little to show for it, was into Arduino and Raspberry Pi for a while, built myself a retro gaming station. I taught myself how to solve a Rubik's Cube, beating my time and learning the 4x4 is on my to do list. I was into math for a while, read The Humongous Book of series (Algebra, Trigonometry, Calculus) got halfway through Calculus before I stopped. I've been trying to teach myself piano for years now and for a while was into making my own music on Flat.

There are so many other things I want to try. Amateur astronomy (too bad there's light pollution where I live), ant-keeping, baking, fencing, woodworking, electronics, etc. There is only so much time in a day and life is only so long, I get bored so easily it's hard to stick with anything. I never seem to finish anything. It's a miracle if I finish a book or a video game. Now that I have a girlfriend and a full time job it's even more difficult, I can't imagine what will happen if I were to have kids...

Right now I'm trying to juggle 3 things. Japanese on Duolingo (low XP goal per day), a little bit of piano practice every day (15-30 min on Super Mario Series for Easy Piano) and whatever free time I have I'm currently putting into trying to learn Python again. I'm always so tired after work though and the weekends are filled with maintenance (groceries, laundry, cleaning, meal prep, etc) and social obligations (it always seems to be someone's birthday or a holiday or something). I also have to try to get some meditation time in every day too, 10 minutes at least, and stay in shape by walking.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2022, 10:15 am

Kinda.

I've definitely started a bunch of project ideas over the years I never completed. But I've learned not to do that so much so start fewer things and I've officially abandoned others and given away items or thrown things out to clear space and make room for others or even just clear space for sanity.

I do have quite a lot of sporting goods I don't end up using sometimes for years at a time, but I think that's most adult men. No one wants to get rid of stuff and say they're never gonna do things again. Glad I didn't - one of my Godsons wants me to take him to try snowboarding this Winter. 8)

It's hard to make time to do all the things, especially if I'm stressed/depressed, then instead of having the energy to go do stuff I just routinely go to the beach and unwind in everyone's favourite happy place - which isn't a bad thing.. just that it's at the expense of completing other work or doing other activities.

I just have to waste less time online and Make more time to do things. I've Made time to go motorcycling the last few years, I can Make time to go kiteboarding again etc if I prioritize it above just going to the beach I usually go to.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2022, 10:32 am

I find some interests weaken over time. But the "stuff" from the interest sometimes hangs around a long time...and keeps pestering me to start spending time on that interest again.

I have enough to do that I could keep five (or more) of me fully occupied. Unfortunately I only have one of me...and I think he slacks off a lot.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2022, 4:04 pm

Since around 12, my worthless corpse has been too clinically depressed and apathetic to engage in hobbies, especially skill based hobbies like programming

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2022, 4:10 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Since around 12, my worthless corpse has been too clinically depressed and apathetic to engage in hobbies, especially skill based hobbies like programming
You have my sympathies mate. *man hugs shortfatbalduglyman*

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2022, 5:28 pm

I have far too many hobbies, which often involves buying lots of stuff associated with a hobby while I'm thinking "this is the greatest thing ever" only to grow bored of it a few months later. Sigh.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2022, 10:49 pm

I sort of do.

Then at the end of the day after work, or weekends after several hours a day of work, I'm either too tired, too distracted, or whatever excuses then.

It doesn't help that I don't judge time well.
I could be spending 10 hours doing nothing but find misplaced items or doing a single step -- it doesn't matter what my plans were.

Now whenever I do projects, it's painfully slow.
And then eventually forgetting it exists. So I would need to also maintain the fact that it exists somewhere or just forget it completely.

I'm trying to figure it out by knowing My plans VS what I did, my intentions vs what happens, etc...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 3:12 pm

Definitely. I have quit on some hobbies also but i still consider going back to them some day.
(Also studying japanese on duolingo, drawing, and aikido)

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2022, 5:42 am

usagibryan wrote:
I have too many hobbies, or at least things I want to try or learn. I spent years learning Japanese but never became fluent and jumped around with languages. I want to learn Japanese or Chinese calligraphy. I've tried teaching myself programming on and off with little to show for it, was into Arduino and Raspberry Pi for a while, built myself a retro gaming station. I taught myself how to solve a Rubik's Cube, beating my time and learning the 4x4 is on my to do list. I was into math for a while, read The Humongous Book of series (Algebra, Trigonometry, Calculus) got halfway through Calculus before I stopped. I've been trying to teach myself piano for years now and for a while was into making my own music on Flat.

There are so many other things I want to try. Amateur astronomy (too bad there's light pollution where I live), ant-keeping, baking, fencing, woodworking, electronics, etc. There is only so much time in a day and life is only so long, I get bored so easily it's hard to stick with anything. I never seem to finish anything. It's a miracle if I finish a book or a video game. Now that I have a girlfriend and a full time job it's even more difficult, I can't imagine what will happen if I were to have kids...

Right now I'm trying to juggle 3 things. Japanese on Duolingo (low XP goal per day), a little bit of piano practice every day (15-30 min on Super Mario Series for Easy Piano) and whatever free time I have I'm currently putting into trying to learn Python again. I'm always so tired after work though and the weekends are filled with maintenance (groceries, laundry, cleaning, meal prep, etc) and social obligations (it always seems to be someone's birthday or a holiday or something). I also have to try to get some meditation time in every day too, 10 minutes at least, and stay in shape by walking.

I am busy with my hunting hobby this time of year.It feels like too much when Im on the road at 3:30 AM going on a hunting expedition.

Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2022, 7:59 am

Quote:
I can't imagine what will happen if I were to have kids...

I can, since I have a 1 year old daughter (along with a wife and full-time job).

I still find some time for hobbies, but usually just between 22:00-22:50 when my kid has gone to bed. It helps that almost all of my hobbies are computer-related, so I can keep quiet. I also found some new hobbies such as cooking, baking, interior decoration and other manly things to do together as a family. Lastly, I try to use my smartphone to do some photo editing and music discovery on my commute to and from work.

But yeah, compared to how things were when I was living on my own, I've had to drastically cut down on both the amount of and the intensity of my hobbies as I got older and my obligations increased.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 11:09 pm

AprilR wrote:
Definitely. I have quit on some hobbies also but i still consider going back to them some day.
(Also studying japanese on duolingo, drawing, and aikido)

My drawings have always been pretty bad. Maybe I could get a book and practice. Not much to lose. Not much could go wrong.

High school, took japanese one and two.

Took aikido for 10 years. At first it was like a dream come true. Then, some customers and instructors kind of annoying. Then coronavirus. My favorite instructor moved to Texas 2018. His classes did not require fees, uniforms, and they were in the middle of the day. So transportation was easy enough. The current instructor is a control freak. $125 month. Vaccine required. Lessons at night. The bus is too inconvenient after hours. Besides warren and dena I don't particularly like anyone in the dojo.

Also, the head instructor, Kayla, has had plenty of slaves volunteer for a couple hours a week, for a couple of years. The Fair Labor Standards Act makes it illegal to volunteer for a "for profit" business. Penalty:. Two years in jail. Kayla's slaves don't care about it. Kayla's slaves worship her. Last year, one of Kayla's slaves, lisi, had the nerve to tell me to say "yes please" instead of "yes". So I was like "pick your battles" and went along with it. But some people pick all the battles. Kayla and Rolando have had the nerve to tell me off for every slightest thing. While they don't give a rats arse what they do that I don't like.