What's your favorite Boomer Shooter?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

LaTech
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2023, 6:24 am

Lecia_Wynter wrote:
LaTech wrote:
Sadly, I've never been good at these kinds of games as I'm more of the "let me get a rifle and sit far away and pick off people" type shooter...so more recent games like the Sniper Elite series are more my speed. Especially now as I don't like competing against anyone else in the new games (reaction times and all that).

Sounds like Halo infinite is right up your alley. Most of the levels are open world and the gameplay is mostly just spamming enemies at long distance, rinse and repeat. The combat is too unpredictable so people just resort to exploits such as camping power weapons and spamming from a distance.

Awesome! Thanks for the recommendation! I'll give it a go.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 3:21 pm

Doom, Doom II, Duke 3D and then Quake. That's my teens right there. Someone mentioned Descent. That used to make me feel sick.

Tried a Doom port in VR recently. That made me feel sick too.

Sigi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Feb 2023, 4:23 pm

Medal of honor frontline was a favourite of mine as a kid

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 9:45 am

I've played and loved plenty of the games that boomer shooters are inspired by, but I haven't actually played any of the boomer shooters themselves (which is ironic, because I am jointly responsible for their existence).

I did play Graven, if that counts. I thought the demo was fun, but I might be biased because one of my friends worked on it...

But most of those games, I don't really see the appeal of "this game looks really bad on purpose because games looked bad in the 90s", because I completely disagree. It's kind of patronizing, I think.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 9:51 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
"this game looks really bad on purpose because games looked bad in the 90s", because I completely disagree. It's kind of patronizing, I think.

The funny thing is that, for me at least, however bad those 90s shooters may look to modern eyes, in my memory they are 8k hi-def running at 120fps. I know some of those levels so well that they are real locations in my memory, not a pixel to be seen.

I can quote from memory an issue of PC Zone at the time it reviewed Quake. In comparison to Duke Nukem 3D they said "Duke 3D looks like a cartoon, Quake looks real." It's hard to imagine anyone looking at Quake's low polygon count now and thinking it looks at all real. But I swear it did at the time.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 12:16 pm

Doom, Doom II, Quake.

I still get the E1M1 music stuck in my head regularly.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 10:29 am

DuckHairback wrote:
The funny thing is that, for me at least, however bad those 90s shooters may look to modern eyes, in my memory they are 8k hi-def running at 120fps. I know some of those levels so well that they are real locations in my memory, not a pixel to be seen.

Well most of those games, you -can- run them in 8k at 120 fps (probably higher) today ;)
I know we're trying to future proof our game a little bit by adding HUD scaling up to 4k...I'm kind of grumbling about it, just because of the nature of trying to get things to look acceptable in any resolution, but I suppose it is necessary. It's mostly just my ASD getting picky about rendering graphics at non-integer pixel ratios (or whatever the correct word is). Yuck.

Anyway, I think Quake looks great today, it's still nice and dark and gritty. The official remaster got rid of the "dark" part, but at least the grittiness is still there. I've seen plenty of "high def" art packs for it, and almost all of them completely kill Quake's original atmosphere (don't even get me started on furry Yeti Shamblers...).