Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 4:52 pm

There is even a growing interest in CDs with younger generations - some of whom were not born when CDs were common.

STORY: 'Music CD Sales Increased Last Year for the First Time Since 2004' 'March 14, 2022'
https://www.techspot.com/news/93764-mus ... -time.html

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 4:58 pm

Good, I hope DVDs and bluray discs do too. :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 5:05 pm

I thought blue ray DVD's (Can only play ordinary DVD's as we don't have blue ray) were the latest thing. I regularly use DVD's (Still play the occasional video (VHS)) so I did not even know they were out of fashion? They still sell DVD's I think? I am sure they do?
What type of discs or plug in casettes do they sell if DVD's and blue rays are now considefed old? (What replaced them?)

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 5:17 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I thought blue ray DVD's (Can only play ordinary DVD's as we don't have blue ray) were the latest thing. I regularly use DVD's (Still play the occasional video (VHS)) so I did not even know they were out of fashion? They still sell DVD's I think? I am sure they do?
What type of discs or plug in casettes do they sell if DVD's and blue rays are now considefed old? (What replaced them?)

They do still sell them but it's been said for years now that they're pretty much being replaced by streaming...

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 5:39 pm

Is streaming the same as watching things over the internet? As brother and his wife sometimes pay to watch a film. I assume this is streaming?

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 5:45 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Is streaming the same as watching things over the internet? As brother and his wife sometimes pay to watch a film. I assume this is streaming?

Its watching things through Netflix, Hulu, Disney +, HBO Max, etc

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 5:57 pm

Not myself watched any of them unless someone else had such an account and shared something they were watching such as brother and his wife.

I do look at Youtube though I do not have an account.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 6:05 pm

All physical media is making a comeback as people realise their access to music and movies could evaporate on a corporate whim. Several of the big streaming companies have sought to shut down other servers, meaning all those shows and movies would no longer be available or preserved. The actors' work could literally vanish, without record.

Personally I never stopped buying vinyls, and everyone in my family has a turntable. I have lots of CDs which I used to play in my car, and I was still buying them until about three years ago. We have hundreds of movies and TV series on DVD. I only learned how to do digital music recently but I only use that in my car. The rest of the time it's vinyl for me. My brother is really into satellite radio for his music.

I have no idea how to stream anything except Netflix and I find streaming extremely annoying with too many steps and passwords. Most of the time I can't get in. I don't know how to screen-share from a device onto my TV either. I'd much rather have a hard copy of anything I really like.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 6:17 pm

Im so glad I kept my blurays movies... I never trusted streaming despite using it. I really need to replace my bluray player though. :|

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 11:06 pm

I prefer high-quality mp3s and mp4s on flash drives, and play them mostly via an old computer, sending them to a hi-fi system or a TV set. Don't like DVDs because of all the copyright notices that the viewer is compelled to watch before they can see the movie. CDs aren't bad but they're a bit bulky compared with a flash drive, same as DVDs. It's amazing how much stuff will go onto a 128GB flash drive.

Aces High
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2022, 12:57 pm

Really enjoy the artwork and small booklets you find in CD cases. It's like a time capsule to the early 2000s in my case. Streaming is very handy but with CDs -- it's nice to hold something solid in your hands. I kept about 50 of them.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 1:00 pm

Aces High wrote:
Really enjoy the artwork and small booklets you find in CD cases. It's like a time capsule to the early 2000s in my case. Streaming is very handy but with CDs -- it's nice to hold something solid in your hands. I kept about 50 of them.

I always felt the same way about DVDs and Blurays too. I like the artwork on some of the cases, I plus the bonus features like extra scenes and cast interviews which streaming tends to lack.

Aces High
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2022, 1:08 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Aces High wrote:

I always felt the same way about DVDs and Blurays too. I like the artwork on some of the cases, I plus the bonus features like extra scenes and cast interviews which streaming tends to lack.

Plus you can't fall asleep and wake up to the sound of the DVD/BR menu playing over and over again after you pass out in the living room.

The 4k blu ray prices are crazy, way too much. I hope they come down someday.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 4:30 pm

Makes sense because you feel like you truly own a CD when it comes in a case and has the booklet

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 1:58 am

DVD's are my favourite media . I own lots of television series on DVD. I have an entire movie collection on DVD. Hundreds of movies!

I own a few CD's but mostly I use my computer for playing music, for which I have a MP3 format collection.

I download all of my video games digitally and store them on a multi terabyte hard drive.

I don't stream. I have Netflix as I share someone's account but I rarely use it. DVD's are more my thing.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 2:00 am

I'll add to that - I don't like my movies being stored somewhere digitally either. I'd rather have a hard copy of anything really, including video games.

Though because my video game collection is so large & the fact that I use Steam for everything video game related - it is more practical to have digital copies of those.