kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2022, 5:58 pm

Hmm, interesting to take new article and one from a bit back;

https://news.yahoo.com/facial-expressio ... 12477.html

Washington Post
Facial expressions may be an unreliable way to read emotions

Marlene Cimons, Special To The Washington PostFri, December 16, 2022 at 10:34 AM CST·5 min read

Quote:
We use our faces to communicate, but our facial expressions may not always come across the way we think they do. And we may be just as wrong when reading the faces of others, a study says.

"Many people think they know what other people's faces should look like when they are happy, sad, angry or afraid," said Nicola Binetti, the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellow at the International School for Advanced Studies in Trieste, Italy, and a co-author of the study. "We found this is not always the case." ...

and,

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -emotions/

Facial Expressions Do Not Reveal Emotions

The emotion AI industry, courts and child educators are unknowingly relying on a misunderstanding of Darwin’s ideas

By Lisa Feldman Barrett on April 27, 2022

Quote:
This debate is not just academic; the outcome has serious consequences. Today you can be turned down for a job because a so-called emotion-reading system watching you on camera applied artificial intelligence to evaluate your facial movements unfavorably during an interview. In a U.S. court of law, a judge or jury may sometimes hand down a harsher sentence, even death, if they think a defendant’s face showed a lack of remorse. Children in preschools across the country are taught to recognize smiles as happiness, scowls as anger and other expressive stereotypes from books, games and posters of disembodied faces. And for children on the autism spectrum, some of whom have difficulty perceiving emotion in others, these teachings do not translate to better communication.

So who is right? The answer involves an unwitting physician, a scientific error and a century-long misinterpretation of Darwin’s writing. Ironically, his own observations offer a powerful resolution that is transforming the modern understanding of emotion.

The assumption of universal facial expressions can be traced back to several sources, most notably a set of photographs by 19th-century French physician Guillaume-Benjamin-Amand Duchenne. In the early days of photography, Duchenne electrically stimulated people’s facial muscles and photographed the contractions.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2022, 8:34 pm

You can't always solely base emotions on facial expressions alone, especially with just the eyes, which is why I don't believe those "mind in the eyes" tests work to decide whether one can read facial expressions or not. For me to understand that a facial expression is showing what someone is feeling I also need context and body language.
Even a lot of NTs admitted that when everyone wore facemasks it was hard to decipher people's facial expressions even though you could see their eyes.

It seems that a lot of Aspies believe that facial expressions scream out everything about what a person is thinking, feeling and experiencing.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 6:17 am

use of facial gestures can be learned as part of any culture's communication and the same expression can have many meanings in varying cultures. Deciphering the meaning of gestures and expressions is very subjective to the culture of the individual doing the "deciphering".

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 8:08 am

I think you are right. I have lost count of the times people have misread my expression e.g. thinking I look angry when I'm feeling neutral, thinking I look sad when I'm being sneaky, thinking I look like I want them to F off when I am actually totally confused by something.

There have been some quite funny and annoying incidences because people misread my expression, such as the photocopier incident. :lol:

Also it annoys me when celebrities are criticised because a photo of them happens to catch a micro-expression they had for a few seconds.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 11:02 am

Thanks very much for posting this.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 12:44 pm

KitLily wrote:
I think you are right. I have lost count of the times people have misread my expression e.g. thinking I look angry when I'm feeling neutral, thinking I look sad when I'm being sneaky, thinking I look like I want them to F off when I am actually totally confused by something.

Most of us have had similar experiences.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 12:36 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Most of us have had similar experiences.

Annoying isn't it. I think it happens to NTs too though, many, many celebrities are always getting criticised for their 'wrong' expressions and they can't all be autistic.

Maybe people need to say 'you look____, are you okay?' I had that happen at work once. Apparently I was looking really sad and my colleague nudged her friend and they said 'hey are you okay??' I said, 'oh yes, I was just thinking about (whatever it was)'.